News Ray Borg dropped by Bellator, management after another failed weight cut vs Kyoji Horiguchi

Does Diggs have history of coming in fat as well?

honestly, glad to see Bellator put their foot down. It seems they have an inordinate amount of guys missing weight even with all the flexibility they allow with catch weights.

If they’re too good to be in Bellator, then they’re too good to be in Bellator

https://www.mmafighting.com/2023/4/...ter-disastrous-weight-cuts-haunted-him-in-ufc

Article put out not even 24 hours ago...
“I was really confused on why they offered the fight at flyweight, to be honest,” Borg told MMA Fighting. “I still don’t even know why, to be truly honest. It kind of doesn’t make sense to me. I know Bellator’s done flyweight fights when they have more local guys on the card. Kyoji’s fought at bantamweight, he was a bantamweight champion, so it didn’t make sense to me. Still kind of doesn’t. I just said yes to the fight

damn it was a great fight. Borg is actually pretty good and Horiguchi is obviously who he is.

Too bad.

That reason makes no sense, Bellator made the bout at Flyweight since that's the weight Kyoji wants to fight at and what his natural weight class is.
I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again: Horiguchi shouldn't be so afraid to fight at 135. Mix is extremely good and in hindsight was just an absolutely awful match up for Guchi. We're going to find out in a few weeks if an Olympic Wrestling background is enough for a 5'4 natural flyweight to keep an extremely large, black, gangly bantamweight from New York off his back over 5 rounds and there's a real chance it won't be. He shouldn't be so hard on himself for dropping that fight. Meanwhile Pettis was losing every second of that fight until he wasn't. He'd beat Borg at 135 the same way he was going to if Borg managed to make 125(6).

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it again: Horiguchi shouldn't be so afraid to fight at 135. Mix is extremely good and in hindsight was just an absolutely awful match up for Guchi. We're going to find out in a few weeks if an Olympic Wrestling background is enough for a 5'4 natural flyweight to keep an extremely large, black, gangly bantamweight from New York off his back over 5 rounds and there's a real chance it won't be. He shouldn't be so hard on himself for dropping that fight. Meanwhile Pettis was losing every second of that fight until he wasn't.

He's still too small for 135. Pettis is also a flyweight really.

If Sergio Pettis is a flyweight so is Henry Cejudo. My point is the size discrepancy was particularly tough to deal with in the Mix fight and isn't as pronounced or relevant in a lot of other match-ups. He's down on himself as a bantamweight because he lost a fight against a dude who's a bantamweight that dwarfs all of his opponents and specializes in using that fact to his advantage.

He's a natural flyweight, yes. I don't agree he is "too small for 135" though. Not all bantamweights are the same size. Just because two guys weigh in the same on a given night doesn't mean they're the same size. We all know this. It's a range. For a guy at the bottom of the range like Horiguchi guys at the tippy top of that range like Patchy Mix, guys where you look at them and wonder how they make weight are realistically a bridge far. Guys closer to the median are not, at least not necessarily. Anyway it's his career, just my opinion.

Mangers don't get paid if you don't fight so makes total sense
Dominance MMA was only going to make peanuts from the Borg fight. It's more about their reputation as an agency. Borg's laziness & irresponsibility cost many people time & money. I especially feel sorry for Kyoji. The man works hard & always does what is expected from him. He's out the money he spent for his training camp. Hopefully he is able to get another fight within the next month but nothing is guaranteed.

If Sergio Pettis is a flyweight so is Henry Cejudo. My point is the size discrepancy was particularly tough to deal with in the Mix fight and isn't as pronounced or relevant in a lot of other match-ups. He's down on himself as a bantamweight because he lost a fight against a dude who's a bantamweight that dwarfs all of his opponents and specializes in using that fact to his advantage.

He's a natural flyweight, yes. I don't agree he is "too small for 135" though. Not all bantamweights are the same size. Just because two guys weigh in the same on a given night doesn't mean they're the same size. We all know this. It's a range. For a guy at the bottom of the range like Horiguchi guys at the tippy top of that range like Patchy Mix, guys where you look at them and wonder how they make weight are realistically a bridge far. Guys closer to the median are not, at least not necessarily. Anyway it's his career, just my opinion.

I think it's optimal for him to fight at flyweight if he can. He's not even big for that division. He's still very good at 135 but he's one of the best in the world at 125.

Does Diggs have history of coming in fat as well?

honestly, glad to see Bellator put their foot down. It seems they have an inordinate amount of guys missing weight even with all the flexibility they allow with catch weights.

If they’re too good to be in Bellator, then they’re too good to be in Bellator
Bellator even allows IV's. There is no excuse for any fighter missing weight.

"I knew I had problems and couldn't make weight but accepted the fight anyway"
Nice avatar. Have you seen some of Nicolas Winding Refn's work? If you're into the work of David Lynch then you'll find Too Old to Die Young & Copenhagen Cowboy definitely worth watching.

Pettis use to be a Flyweight but he's no longer a kid. He's filled out over the years & would have a very difficult time making 125 now. Kyoji has no business fighting at 135 but his skill & speed allow him to be competitive. Horiguchi needs to make a living so he will take fights at 135 but prefers 125.

Dominance MMA was only going to make peanuts from the Borg fight. It's more about their reputation as an agency. Borg's laziness & irresponsibility cost many people time & money. I especially feel sorry for Kyoji. The man works hard & always does what is expected from him. He's out the money he spent for his training camp. Hopefully he is able to get another fight within the next month but nothing is guaranteed.
Don't worry, Kyoji got paid. Coker always takes care of his fighters. Even when the cards get canceled:

Nice avatar. Have you seen some of Nicolas Winding Refn's work? If you're into the work of David Lynch then you'll find Too Old to Die Young & Copenhagen Cowboy definitely worth watching.

Thanks man lol. I still can't decide if I love or hate Only God Forgives. I also haven't heard of Copenhagen Cowboy, I'll have to check it out.

vk3wld4mwcva1.jpg

Don't worry, Kyoji got paid. Coker always takes care of his fighters. Even when the cards get canceled:

Fortune is about to be sent to the shadow realm later on tonight.

Back