realistic expectations

almann1979

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Another very newbie question from me I'm afraid.

Let's say, a new completely untrained guy came to your club, how long would a blue belt need to tap him out? Let's assume the new guy is a bit bigger and stronger, but not HUGE.

Should it be a very quick tap out, or does it take time even against an untrained but physically fit opponent?

Just a bit bigger and stronger - under a minute for a blue belt.

So a formality then? I assume this would include dominant position up until submission too??

That makes feel feel better about being hammered when I roll now :)

Depends on the Blue belt and how athletic the untrained guy is.There is a huge disparity within belts and people underestimate the ability of a really athletic guy with good instincts.

Easily under a minute. Someone with no prior training going against someone who's been training a couple years, it's going to end fast just about every time unless they go easy on you.

lol

I am 41 years old, 175 lbs, have been training a little over two years and still a white belt. There hasn't been a complete newb (no training in BJJ or any other art) in the last several months that I couldn't submit in a couple of minutes.

it depends if the guy wants to tap you or just wants to go easy on you...

Yeah depends on a bunch of factors. Most blue belts are not gonna try to smash you as quick as possible, but some will. I am a brown belt, and sometimes I will roll with a new person and not tap them once.

I guess it really depends on what your going for. If for instance you pull guard to let the new guy just try to feel like he is accomplishing something but the new guy just extends his arms or puts a hand on the mat not very long. Shit, if they ducked their head or extended out their neck 10 seconds or so for a guillotine? It all really depends, but a blue belt shouldn't have an issue with a completely unexperienced grappler unless they got really really sloppy.

On their first day, Id say under a minute if they went on all attack mode.

Im a white and I know I have subbed new guys who were much bigger in about a minute.
But when brand new people learn very quickly what not to do.

Is the new guy wearing a sleeveless shirt or not? It makes a difference.

So a formality then? I assume this would include dominant position up until submission too??

You should try rolling sober, you'll probably do better.

Lol @ this question. Does it fucking matter how fast a dude submits you? Maybe the guy coming in bad some wrestling experience? What if the new guy just used a lockdown top game inside guard and just held on for dearlife? What if the blue belt was trying to work on positional stuff and never went for a sub and you thought he was.

Don't judge yourself on how long you survive the upper belts TS, it may give you a false sense of accomplishment.

Don't judge yourself on how long you survive the upper belts TS, it may give you a false sense of accomplishment.

That wasn't the point of my post to be honest. The point was to see how easily a trained grappler could deal with an untrained grappler

If they're going as hard as they can to tap this new guy, then it should be under a minute and lots will have him under 30 seconds.

if its competititive and the blue is full on it, it will take about a minute.. but as a blue belt, whenever a new guy comes into training and i roll with him im not going to go 100% and try to tap him plenty of times. i look to show him the gaps and try to make him understand what rolling should be like. even when i do get to a tapping position, i will often let go. Theres no learning or growth at all in tappin dozen times an inexperencied guy, and hes probably gonna hate the training.. instead if you help him, in no time that new guy is gonna be teaching you new moves.

Blue belts shouldn't be trying to tap out fresh off the streets guys unless those guys come in and are doing mat bully pain techniques. Blue belts should be showing the brand new guy what it feels like to roll with someone who is experienced, what BJJ should feel like, guiding them through positions, talking to them while rolling about the mistakes they are making in their posture/base, hand positioning, etc. If a blue belt needs to wipe the floor with a new guy to get his weekly quota of +10 gym points, he needs a check up from the neck up and his purples and browns need to teach him a lesson as well.

Blue belts shouldn't be trying to tap out fresh off the streets guys unless those guys come in and are doing mat bully pain techniques. Blue belts should be showing the brand new guy what it feels like to roll with someone who is experienced, what BJJ should feel like, guiding them through positions, talking to them while rolling about the mistakes they are making in their posture/base, hand positioning, etc. If a blue belt needs to wipe the floor with a new guy to get his weekly quota of +10 gym points, he needs a check up from the neck up and his purples and browns need to teach him a lesson as well.

This!
First time i rolled, my friend ( a purple belt back then) teamed me with a blue belt and said: it is his first time.
We rolled. But instead if the blue belt wiping the floor with me and moving on, he took his time, put me in guard ( spider if i remember correctly) and applied as minimum force as he could while tipping me over and unbalancing me several time. After rolling he took the time to explain what bjj is all about , how technique can overcome any force...and why balance is so important.
Here in abu dhabi we are blessed, 99.99% of upper belts leave their ego in the changing rooms before they step on the mat..... And when new white belts see that attitude from the black belt down, they subconsciously adapt it.

Whether it's gi or no gi actually makes a huge difference. A gigantic, athletic guy could be a pain to deal with in no gi, even without any formal training.

In the gi, you should be able to collar choke him at will.

Back