• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Opinion Realistically speaking how much longer do you expect the US to be the most powerful nation?

CCP would love to be self sufficient, because self sufficiency is critical to being a world power and for national security. They just don't have the expertise and knowledge base, so they resort to stealing.

They steal because they can but don't be diluted into this notion that China can't do R&D. Being first to do something is expensive. Stealing it or just being second is cheap. A growing nation has no reason to need to be first when there are so many places where resources could be spent and produce huge gains.

within a couple centuries there will be no separate nations or races, not to mention that language and cultural barriers will also cease to exist as people begin sharing thoughts, feelings, ideas, and memories telepathically via global hive-mind.

nationalism is going the way of the dinosaur. sorry. cant stop progress...

I think this thread is in dire need of a definition of power...

maybe 5 years china will eventually close the military technology gap with its navy and air force thanks to the city of Shenzhen which has 12.59 million people and can develop technology in weeks it is the silicon valley of china but seems to work faster and cheaper.

Yeah, that is why border towns are fucking Meccas and there isn't an ungodly number of people in IT who have trained in their H1-B visas replacements and then are immediately canned.

The Foreign-Born Population and Its Effects on the U.S. Economy and the Federal Budget—An Overview

"Immigration, whether legal or illegal, expands the labor force and changes its composition, leading to increases in total economic output—though not necessarily to increases in output per capita."

https://www.cbo.gov/publication/55967

There's a lot of research on this, and your claim was false (and note that your own link also provides evidence against your claim--just says that it's not *necessarily* true that your claim was a full 180 turn from the truth). Also note that there are composition effects at work there--if Joe makes $N/HR, and then Jerry comes and raises Joe's income to $(N+X)/HR but makes less than $(N-X)/HR, then Jerry both raised Joe's income and lowered the average income. Similar dynamics with output. Here's the IGM poll of economists on specifically low-skill immigration (and note that high-skill immigration is more obviously beneficial to native employment), and this is before more recent research that further pushes away from your conclusion (which in turn refutes your CT):

https://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/low-skilled-immigrants/

I think this thread is in dire need of a definition of power...

I'd also like to see people who think this is right about to happen specifically name what nation will take over as the most powerful one. I noted that China is on the verge of overtaking the U.S. as the biggest market, but it's still a poor nation (relative to the population) with bad relations with most powerful nations and massive demographic problems. I don't think it will be more powerful overall than the U.S. even after it passes us in terms of the total size of its economy. Can't see any other country seriously challenging us. Also interesting to see people seem to imply that cultural progressivism is worse than outright tyrannical gov't.

The problem with Mirka is its hubris. When you think you're the greatest despite sucking out right you never want to change anything even when other countries are passing you by. Murkan still think it's 1945 and other countries are in economic shambles when is actually Mirka that is in shambles.

we'll find out when China tries to take over the Senkaku Islands.

The problem with Mirka is its hubris. When you think you're the greatest despite sucking out right you never want to change anything even when other countries are passing you by. Murkan still think it's 1945 and other countries are in economic shambles when is actually Mirka that is in shambles.

Nailed it! The were number one attitude is killing us. We rest on our laurels way to much in America.

I'd also like to see people who think this is right about to happen specifically name what nation will take over as the most powerful one. I noted that China is on the verge of overtaking the U.S. as the biggest market, but it's still a poor nation (relative to the population) with bad relations with most powerful nations and massive demographic problems. I don't think it will be more powerful overall than the U.S. even after it passes us in terms of the total size of its economy. Can't see any other country seriously challenging us. Also interesting to see people seem to imply that cultural progressivism is worse than outright tyrannical gov't.

Thank you. I dont agree with you on everything, but I appreciate it when you calmly snap the chicken littles back to reality.

There's a lot of research on this, and your claim was false (and note that your own link also provides evidence against your claim--just says that it's not *necessarily* true that your claim was a full 180 turn from the truth). Also note that there are composition effects at work there--if Joe makes $N/HR, and then Jerry comes and raises Joe's income to $(N+X)/HR but makes less than $(N-X)/HR, then Jerry both raised Joe's income and lowered the average income. Similar dynamics with output. Here's the IGM poll of economists on specifically low-skill immigration (and note that high-skill immigration is more obviously beneficial to native employment), and this is before more recent research that further pushes away from your conclusion (which in turn refutes your CT):

https://www.igmchicago.org/surveys/low-skilled-immigrants/

You want to place a sweeping statement on immigration helping everyone's standard of living and my government study stated that it wasn't necessarily correlated. In your own poll, each poll never had 50% even agree that low skilled immigrants raise everyone's standard of living.

I would really welcome anyone to look at Jack Savage's linked poll to get an idea of the murky opinions amongst experts he uses to claim someone is flat wrong about something. More than half the experts are not even in agreement. It is horseshit piled on top to justify a pre-existing opinion.

You want to place a sweeping statement on immigration helping everyone's standard of living and my government study stated that it wasn't necessarily correlated. In your own poll, each poll never had 50% even agree that low skilled immigrants raise everyone's standard of living.

I would really welcome anyone to look at Jack Savage's linked poll to get an idea of the murky opinions amongst experts he uses to claim someone is flat wrong about something. More than half the experts are not even in agreement. It is horseshit piled on top to justify a pre-existing opinion.

The split is 52% agree/strongly agree that more low-skill immigration would make the average American better off, 28% undecided, 9% disagree/strongly disagree, and 11% undecided. Among the disagrees, you have comments like this "Real income of avg the American would rise, but social strains and inequality would also increase." But your assertion was that immigration (all--not just low-skill) is "used for wage suppression."

within a couple centuries there will be no separate nations or races, not to mention that language and cultural barriers will also cease to exist as people begin sharing thoughts, feelings, ideas, and memories telepathically via global hive-mind.

nationalism is going the way of the dinosaur. sorry. cant stop progress...
Lol progress. That’s not progress. It’s enslavement, and lets the most wicked people God ever created rule the world.

it won’t happen, and every progressive globalist will be remembered for the demon they were. There will be a future of peaceful natural harmony. And abortion isn’t a part of it, let alone mutilating confused children. And the likes of Netflix’s cuties will be a reminder of the leftist sickness humanity conquered together.

or the globalists will see their defeat, and end the world in a nuclear Holocaust. One final act of sacrifice to the darkness they worship.

20-30yrs. We got to get our shit together and start strategizing more. China has been playing the long game and making some good moves along the way while we rely on our military might. Also, being divided as a nation is hurting our decision making.

The split is 52% agree/strongly agree that more low-skill immigration would make the average American better off, 28% undecided, 9% disagree/strongly disagree, and 11% undecided. Among the disagrees, you have comments like this "Real income of avg the American would rise, but social strains and inequality would also increase." But your assertion was that immigration (all--not just low-skill) is "used for wage suppression."
Bunch of idiots.

the ghosts of Eugene Debbs and William Bryan haunt the immigration betrayers.

the American worker comes first.

I think the post 1945 era was unique because pretty much every other industrial nation on earth had been devastated by war. Obviously, we aren't going back to that.

This. Authoritarian regimes don't work well in a world with instant transfer of information. There will be some sort of uprising in China long before they become the leading world power.
It all depends how many people there will be to actually rise up.

Recently I was trying to fathom how many Chinese people are part of the actual CCP and are involved in holding people down. Because its not "just the Chinese government" being tyrants. There's also all the people that work to enforce their crazy rules and censorship. Police, immigration officers, surveillance officers, online rats, etc etc etc. And thats just off the top of my head. I'm guessing there is at least 50,000,000 Chinese people involved in keeping Chinese people in check.

Back