Recent fights/results/news from Japan II

is this pure marketing or will Takeru be using excessive, unnecessary movement, sloppy kicks and the "switch cross" in his next K-1 bout?
Maybe you haven't heard about a little thing called Neo Footwork? It's a game changer...

Umeno has done something that no fighter outside of Thailand has done since I've been following it, and that's headline a stadium show against a legitimately really good fighter in one of the sports signature weight areas.

Didn't that guy Chadd "Shark" Collins just did the same against Seksan? (maybe it was at 140 pounds and you're not counting?)

Kulabdam knocked out Genji. Not a shocking result, Genji's defence is a bit lax at times, he's been dropped a number of times in his fights and Kulabdam is a ruthless finisher with a ton of ko's on his record.

Edit: rip the video got taken down

Last edited:

tldr.:

- Had to cut down to 122lbs
- exhausted from weigth cut, barely ate the last 5-6 days
- was confused about the break ups, whenever Tenshin wanted a break
- special one knee clinch rule for this fight
- took fight because of the good money

I wonder how many other KO fights have these little conditions attached to them...

Aside from the break ups, the rest are kind of just a bunch of excuses. Tenshin was just better that night.

KO did have Thai fighters fly in to fight with handicaps like short notice fights and even guys
who just got through war like Wanchalong got flown in to be crushed.

Wouldn't be unprecendented. Also I remember Buakaw's interview that he said it took him
a few fights to get used to cold weather in Japan. Others Thai fighters also often say the same.

Aside from the break ups, the rest are kind of just a bunch of excuses. Tenshin was just better that night.

I agree. Don't even think the break ups were bad. pretty sure one was for a headbutt, the others were obvious low blows.

One knee rule is a bullshit rule though.

Why? If Suakim knew the rules before the fight, why should the promotion be considered prejudiced against him after he lost? It's a different story if he was told by the promoters 5mins before stepping into the ring but that's not the case?

Anyway, he also had a height and reach advantage over Tenshin but still lost fair and square. There's really no shame in losing to Tenshin cos he's really fucking good. People kind of shit over his Wanchalong win now but let's not forget the reaction then and the fact that he KO'd him with a spinning back kick FFS

Suakim's FB post really is just some Thai-pride sour grapes BS. They don't have a genetic dominance over kickfighting anymore than the Japanese hve over judo.

I was hoping for a contest without any controversy to it......Suakim accepted the fight so he can't complain but making him cut that much weight and fighting under a modified ruleset sours the win a bit.

Why? If Suakim knew the rules before the fight, why should the promotion be considered prejudiced against him after he lost? It's a different story if he was told by the promoters 5mins before stepping into the ring but that's not the case?

Anyway, he also had a height and reach advantage over Tenshin but still lost fair and square. There's really no shame in losing to Tenshin cos he's really fucking good. People kind of shit over his Wanchalong win now but let's not forget the reaction then and the fact that he KO'd him with a spinning back kick FFS

Suakim's FB post really is just some Thai-pride sour grapes BS. They don't have a genetic dominance over kickfighting anymore than the Japanese hve over judo.
Well I got pretty hyped for the match with the assumption that there wouldn't be some weird knee rule and they would be fighting at a weight Suakim usually fights at. As a big Tenshin fan this definitely diminishes the win for me, especially considering the fight was razor close.

^^fair enough

I get it from a technical POV. i grew up watching more K1 than muay thai on the net so removing the clinch and emphasising exchanges have always been okay from my spectator's POV.

It's simply a shitty rule

Imagine if there was a one punch rule, how ridiculous would that be!

Well I got pretty hyped for the match with the assumption that there wouldn't be some weird knee rule and they would be fighting at a weight Suakim usually fights at. As a big Tenshin fan this definitely diminishes the win for me, especially considering the fight was razor close.

I wouldn't call it razor close.

Imagine if there was a one punch rule, how ridiculous would that be!

not really. pretty sure KO has a limited clinching ruleset anyway.

Aside from that, Tenshin never made the distinction of being a muay thai fighter. He's a kickboxer first and foremost, so I don't have much problems with a mixed ruleset.

Considering the size advantage Suakim had I have a hard time feeling too sympathetic for dude

I guess he is trying to say he did not try and clinch because of this "supposed" one knee rule but it kinds of just sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. Unless they switched the weight on him last minute he has no one to blame but himself

Still looking for the full fight, but here's the Kulabdam/Genji KO

Back