Recommend me some books

I would recommend the The Gray Man series, although I 100% think it’s better as an audiobook.

The narrator is very talented, he can voice 12 year old girls, Africans, Arabs, Russians, it’s crazy.

It’s really like listening to a movie but better than the netflix one that butchered the first book.

If you like Steampunk check out China Mieville. Perdido Street Station is a good start (Beginning of the Bas-Lag trilogy). His world building is really something

Discworld books from Terry Pratchett. I'd recommend Mort, Small Gods and Guards! Guards! to start with, then if you are interested, check them in chronological order. They take place in same setting but follow different people and work as standalone books.

The First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie

Very cynical, mean, and funny fantasy. I'm on the last book of his second trilogy "Age of Madness" which is even better but I'd still recommend the other one first since they are somewhat connected.

Had a fantasy period 10-15 years or so ago, and remember enjoying Abercrombie. Out of all I read, which admittedly wasn't all that much, the two that stood out and remains in my memory outside of ASOIAF was Bakker's The Second Apocalypse series and the Malazan Book of the Fallen series, both easily fulfilling the criteria for epicness, which was always what I foremost wanted out of fantasy.

Classic change your life:
To Kill a Mockingbird
12 Angry Men

Supernatural:
The Stand-King
Salems Lot-King
Phantoms-Koontz
Darkfall-Koontz
Relic-Preston and Child
Still Life with Crows-Preston and Child

Cop Procedural:
John Corey Series--DeMille (Plum Island is a great start)
Jack Reacher Series-Lee Child

YA series:
I am Number Four
Harry Potter
Hunger Games

One of the most, if not the most, enjoyable reading experience I ever had was reading Frans G. Bengtsson's Röde Orm, on English The Long Ships. A viking adventure, and a absolutely hilarious one. Must have been over a decade since I read it, so I don't remember much of details, but I can say that all of us Swedes absolutely love it, and I likewise remember that those who read the English translation felt similar. Since I now remember it, I will proceed to reread it. Strongest of recommendations.

kop is the best series i've read in 10+ years

Mostly into non fiction, some great fiction recommendations so I shall add.

Marcus Aurelius: Meditations.
Soren Kierkegaard: Fear and Trembling.
Max Stirner: The Ego and It's Own.
Karl Popper: The Open Society and It's Enemies.
Martin Heidegger: Being and Time.

I tend to enjoy reading health books. The currently one I'm slowly reading and enjoying is ~

Chris Beat Cancer: A Comprehensive Plan for Healing Naturally

https://www.amazon.com/Chris-Beat-C...1693242239&sprefix=chris+beat+,aps,334&sr=8-1

Millions of readers have followed Chris Wark's journey on his blog and podcast Chris Beat Cancer, and in his debut work, he dives deep into the reasoning and scientific foundation behind the approach and strategies that he used to successfully heal his body from stage-3 colon cancer. Drawing from the most up-to-date and rigorous research, as well as his deep faith, Wark provides clear guidance and continuous encouragement for his healing strategies, including his Beat Cancer Mindset; radical diet, and lifestyle changes; and means for mental, emotional, and spiritual healing.

Packed with both intense personal insight and extensive healing solutions, the Wall Street Journal best-selling Chris Beat Cancer will inspire and guide you on your own journey toward wellness.

If you like science fiction I would recommend Foundation by Asimov, and Hyperion by Simmons.

Paul S. Kemp's
The Hamer and the Blade
upload_2023-8-28_14-10-24.jpeg

and A Discourse in Steel
upload_2023-8-28_14-9-51.jpeg

The First Law Trilogy - Joe Abercrombie

Very cynical, mean, and funny fantasy. I'm on the last book of his second trilogy "Age of Madness" which is even better but I'd still recommend the other one first since they are somewhat connected.

Agreed.

The First Law Trilogy is my favorite series. I actually just wrapped up the Age of Madness trilogy a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it, but preferred the original trilogy. Interested to see where Abercrombie takes it from here.

Discworld books from Terry Pratchett. I'd recommend Mort, Small Gods and Guards! Guards! to start with, then if you are interested, check them in chronological order. They take place in same setting but follow different people and work as standalone books.

The Discworld books are as such fun, love Terry Pratchett. You recommended 2 of my favorite “series” of his Death and the Guards. I reread the Guards books every year. Whenever I need a fun read that’ll give me some laughs and lighten my mood I’ll grab a random Discworld novel.

I think anyone who enjoys British humor and satire should give the Discworld books a try.

61RS73K351L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Agreed.

The First Law Trilogy is my favorite series. I actually just wrapped up the Age of Madness trilogy a couple of months ago. I enjoyed it, but preferred the original trilogy. Interested to see where Abercrombie takes it from here.

I can see that. I think First Law Trilogy had the better main characters but his writing has gotten sharper in Age of Madness.

I read somehwere that he is working on a new trilogy set in a different world, really looking forward to that.

Back