Multiplatform Red Dead Redemption II vs. The Last of Us - Which is the superior game?

Which is the superior game?

• Total voters
Oh man, yeah that part got me. I kept the same horse for so long and then for that to happen was brutal.
We got the hidden dialogue between Arthur and the nun and he fesses that he's afraid of dying, wife started bawling. Arthur may be the greatest game character of all time, even. And of course the high honor ending <2>

Rdr2 is the only game that ever had someone sneak into my room and cut onions while I was playing.
That last hour and the honorable ending hit pretty hard.
<{1-11}>
I legit started playing the game slower towards the end soaking up the scenery and details in the game as well as voice acting as I wasn't really ready for it to be over.
Arthur Morgan is imo the best and most nuanced vidya game character of all time.

I think RDR 2 easily takes it here, it's just the more wholesome experience and far, far more replay-worthy.
(And forgive me for saying this, but I think TLoU 1&2 are quite overrated....)

I think RDR 2 easily takes it here, it's just the more wholesome experience and far, far more replay-worthy.
(And forgive me for saying this, but I think TLoU 1&2 are quite overrated....)
Gameplay is vastly superior which should be the primary metric by which games are compared. TLoU is a conglomeration of cinematic bits from movies and shows, easily identified by people who watch horror/suspense. Its gameplay is a vehicle by which the movie is delivered to you. You can make the case that RDR2's story-telling is just as good or better than that of TLoU, though I personally wouldn't go that far. For me the gameplay is what matters most-- not to say that other elements don't matter though.
TLoU isn't supposed to really be compared to games like RDR2 though-- it's a self-admitted cinematic experience with the focus on narrative revelations, musical cues and meaningful pauses in dialogue. That's why the game translated so well into an amazing show. You would have a much harder time doing that with games like HL2 and Metroid.

Before the resident shills start lactating:
I'm of the unpopular opinion that TLoU 2 is better than the original. They made good efforts to improve the gameplay, and while I have a couple issues with it, the story centerpiece most people dump on was not one of them. Also I didn't understand the hate for Abby because she was insanely driven and insanely hot. My only gripe with her and the whole game was that she didn't have more inner turmoil with the choices she made, and while her friends took issue with it more, we didn't get to really delve into the process of their relationships were dissolved.

Ellie in TLoU 2 was amazing. She becomes an emaciated, ravenous wolf with an ear bitten off, determined to kill the whale

Back