Reebok payout tiers is pretty pathetic lol (yeah yeah we know this)

Fighters with
1-3 bouts receive $3,500 per appearance
4-5 bouts get $4,000;
6-10 bouts get $5,000;
11-15 bouts earn $10,000;
16-20 bouts pocket $15,000;
and 21 bouts and more get $20,000.

How many fighters do you know even reach 21 fights in the UFC? It would take anywhere from 8-10 years to get that many fights if you’re lucky to not get injured or cut. Most MMA fighters careers don’t even last 10 years.

And what’s even stupider is that the Reebok deal is only set for 6 years since its inception.

On top of all this, them shits are ugly AF.

reebok-ufc-fight-kit-jerseys.jpg
Its free money for showing up and wearing a outfit. Fighters are still free to receive money every other part of the year except fight week from sponsors if they so desire. Reebok money is free money that they have to do nothing to earn except show up.

Its free money for showing up and wearing a outfit. Fighters are still free to receive money every other part of the year except fight week from sponsors if they so desire. Reebok money is free money that they have to do nothing to earn except show up.
Dude you don't realize that condom depot, dynamic fastener, and whatever 5 other sponsors fighters had on their gear for a fight together paid way more than those lower tiers of Reebok pay

Then why do so many fighters complain?

Headlines:

Carlos Condit: UFC deal with Reebok took away our financial security

Ryan Bader Details Just How Much Money He Lost Per Fight Thanks to Reebok Deal

Ben Henderson (Last Reebok payout: $15,000) - February 2016

“I won't lie, it was a very big deal," Henderson said. "The ability to get sponsors on your own and not have to rely on the amount that Reebok dictates to you was a huge factor. I'd be straight up lying if I said it wasn't a very big part of my decision to go to Bellator.

For a new fighter, I think injury insurance is a biggie too
At least most I spoke to

A new fighter that goes 1-1 in his first year gets $48k (3 fights contract plus 1 win) & $7k from Reebok, so $55k
That as a start to see IF they stay with UFC is a lot better than others
If they are good, they move up
If not they move out

Its the next few levels where UFC could really improve pay the most
The middling fighters that make up the bulk of the TV broadcast that UFC is getting $300m a year for, is the biggest area they don't do right by the fighters.
Don't forget, taxes come out of that... plus gym fees and 20%+ to your coach. Be lucky to see half of that 55k

Then why do so many fighters complain?

Headlines:

Carlos Condit: UFC deal with Reebok took away our financial security

Ryan Bader Details Just How Much Money He Lost Per Fight Thanks to Reebok Deal

Ben Henderson (Last Reebok payout: $15,000) - February 2016

“I won't lie, it was a very big deal," Henderson said. "The ability to get sponsors on your own and not have to rely on the amount that Reebok dictates to you was a huge factor. I'd be straight up lying if I said it wasn't a very big part of my decision to go to Bellator.
And yet Bendo only has 2 sponsors in his first Bellator fights. It ahs nothing to do with Reebok and everything to do with his poor marketability. There are tons of Bellator guys who have no sponsors like Joe Warren. if you have no sponsors do not blame reebok, blame your shitty management, horrible personality and lack of marketability.

Don't forget, taxes come out of that... plus gym fees and 20%+ to your coach. Be lucky to see half of that 55k
Welcome to the life of every single working adult in the world. I lose close to 40% of my check every 2 weeks to taxes, fees, etc.

Dude you don't realize that condom depot, dynamic fastener, and whatever 5 other sponsors fighters had on their gear for a fight together paid way more than those lower tiers of Reebok pay
Those companies all lost their asses and pulled out of the MMA game because putting a sticker on someone's butt for 30 seconds of exposure if a horrible business model that is destined to lose all types of money, which is what happened. Dynamic Fasteners did a interview and said they lost their asses on sponsorship and that was with paying ZERO to the UFC as they were a smaller company.

What I find funniest is that a couple of guys were sponsored by Nike. NIKE! The absolute pinnacle of all of sports known clothing. "Hey guys, I know that when you had Nike you were happy, so we are gonna sponsor you with REEBOK! Yeah guys. How do you like that???"

I really don't get it... When Reebok showed up, they said fighters could not talk about other sponsors anymore along with UFC brand... Then we see McGregor and his whiskey in an official interview, then we see Tyron Woodley talking about many product that "he uses"... Full joke.

Are people in other organizations really making a ton in sponor money anymore? I know some of the UFC vets are still doing OK in Bellator (ie Ryan Bader), but as far as I have heard most of these sponsors aren't investing anywhere near the kind of money that they once were.

Rory MacDonald says he LOST sponsor money when he went to Bellator.
https://www.fightful.com/mma/rory-macdonald-made-more-sponsorship-money-ufc-bellator-mma

On the flip side Ryan Bader says he is earning 3-4 times more in Bellator.
https://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/21/15850530/ryan-bader-confirms-bellator-more-sponsorship-money

As for people mentioning the UFC demanding a sponsorship fee wasn't that actually more of a bond-in to ensure that sponsors weren't able to screw over the fighters by not paying them? I remember reading a ton about this back in the day and it wasn't a fee to sponsor a fighter, but instead basically putting the money in an escrow-type account to ensure the fighters got paid the sponsor money.

Isn't the Reebok deal set to expire soon (a year or two?), and there's talk of not renewing and letting guys get their own sponsors again?

Are people in other organizations really making a ton in sponor money anymore? I know some of the UFC vets are still doing OK in Bellator (ie Ryan Bader), but as far as I have heard most of these sponsors aren't investing anywhere near the kind of money that they once were.

Rory MacDonald says he LOST sponsor money when he went to Bellator.
https://www.fightful.com/mma/rory-macdonald-made-more-sponsorship-money-ufc-bellator-mma

On the flip side Ryan Bader says he is earning 3-4 times more in Bellator.
https://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/21/15850530/ryan-bader-confirms-bellator-more-sponsorship-money

As for people mentioning the UFC demanding a sponsorship fee wasn't that actually more of a bond-in to ensure that sponsors weren't able to screw over the fighters by not paying them? I remember reading a ton about this back in the day and it wasn't a fee to sponsor a fighter, but instead basically putting the money in an escrow-type account to ensure the fighters got paid the sponsor money.
What Bader is not telling you is that his main sponsor (American ethanol) is a company owned by or has a close relationship with his manager Kevin Harvick.

Isn't the Reebok deal set to expire soon (a year or two?), and there's talk of not renewing and letting guys get their own sponsors again?
Guys still have their own sponsors, numerous fighters maintained them. Fighters will never be allowed to wear sponsor branded clothing again because they never should have been allowed to in the first place. The UFC was kind enough to allow the fighters to have third party profit for advertisers on their owned and distributed broadcast. In no other broadcast medium in the world can a individual profit form a advertiser using someone's else platform and intellectual property, at least none I can think of.

Guys still have their own sponsors, numerous fighters maintained them. Fighters will never be allowed to wear sponsor branded clothing again because they never should have been allowed to in the first place. The UFC was kind enough to allow the fighters to have third party profit for advertisers on their owned and distributed broadcast. In no other broadcast medium in the world can a individual profit form a advertiser using someone's else platform and intellectual property, at least none I can think of.

Not quite following. You're telling me the fighters (the ones with some name recognition) in Bellator or One FC aren't getting paid by the sponsors that are on their shorts?

lol, what kind of horseshit is this? you got a source on fighters being better off now? because quite a few complained when the 50k fee was introduced, and many have been vocal since the reebok deal, saying they're making significantly less now off of sponsorship money.

and yes, fighter could just not sign with the UFC, or the UFC could just stop being monumental fucking douchebags and let them earn a decent living. they are the monopoly, and the premiere league in the sport. the company was sold for 4 billion dollars, the highest acquisition of any sport entity in history. fighter pay should reflect that.

I agree with you except for the monopoly.
How you can say that with Bellator & One taking name fighters away is a bit crazy

This isn't news

This post may sound kind of shill like...

This is why the MMA fan community sucks. You (Mr Garcia) shouldn't feel like you have to make a disclaimer to a bunch of forum jerks about how you make your money.

Back