Refusing to roll with dirty people

yookfarb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
It is socially acceptable to refuse to roll with people that are heavier, stronger, younger, better conditioned, higher/lower rank, or different gender.

Maybe I am wrong here? I see it all the time, maybe a coach will crack a joke at your expense but everyone moves on. I find this to be the case almost every time that nobody gets seriously offended for these reasons.

But I don't want to roll with a stinky old man with only one gi, dirty nails and bad breath... suddenly I am the bad guy

Well I'm not a wuss so I wouldn't be quiet about it. I'd be straight blunt with the guy and "jokingly" tell him that he stinks and needs to look after his personal hygiene. I'd do it with as much people around as well. I wouldn't care about his feelings, survival of the fittest. It's your choice with who you choose to roll with at the end of the day but if some piss smelling bum corners you in an alley one day and mounts your back then you're going to wish you had rolled with the smelly old guy more

Well I'm not a wuss so I wouldn't be quiet about it. I'd be straight blunt with the guy and "jokingly" tell him that he stinks and needs to look after his personal hygiene. I'd do it with as much people around as well. I wouldn't care about his feelings, survival of the fittest

he acted so offended like I was being completely unreasonable <EdgyBrah>

if some piss smelling bum corners you in an alley one day and mounts your back then you're going to wish you had rolled with the smelly old guy more

if the bum was trying to check my oil i think i'd get over it

plus i would really hope not with all the training i've been doing lately
Yeah people

All decent gyms should have strict rules for personal grooming and body ordor anyways? The people who run the gym/class should be telling him to take showers and cut his nails

coach lets him get away with it because they trained together back in the day

if the bum was trying to check my oil i think i'd get over it

plus i would really hope not with all the training i've been doing lately

coach lets him get away with it because they trained together back in the day

If that's the case then the best thing to do is just always refuse to roll him with him

You have all the rights to refuse rolling with such a person. Truth be told should be the teacher's job to put him in his place about his hygiene, no matter how old friends and shit they are.

I could never imagine disrespecting my old coach and great friend (or any of my previous coaches) with nails too long when I visit his club....I even shower before practice if Ive smoked cigs that day.

Dude gives me more respect than I deserve when I visit and I will not have his students questioning his judgement of character and talent with poor hygiene.

I pretty much don't roll with white belts anymore. Especially young athletic ones that I see going HAM with each other.

As a brown belt, I can handle them. I don't want to. It's not enjoyable for me dealing with them spazzing, moving crazy, trying not to hurt them, trying not to get hurt, etc. I'd much rather grab a purple belt and have a good technical roll that ramps up the intensity at appropriate times. Other people I pretty much don't roll with-
- people that don't tap when they are caught
- bad hygiene guy (we've weeded them out of our gym)
- people that just play defense and do everything possible not to tap
- people that treat every roll like ADCC finals
- white belts (especially big strong white belts)

You don't have to train with anyone you don't want to. I try not to call anyone out in public though but they're more than welcome to talk about it after.

I'm somewhat lucky to be in a position where I can choose who I can train with without there being much in the way of backlash

[
I could never imagine disrespecting my old coach and great friend (or any of my previous coaches) with nails too long when I visit his club....I even shower before practice if Ive smoked cigs that day.

Dude gives me more respect than I deserve when I visit and I will not have his students questioning his judgement of character and talent with poor hygiene.

Tbh, the nails was a one off

It is his gi that is the problem! A white gi turning yellow! Every time he gets a sweat going it starts dripping filth and smelling awful.

Cheap bastard refuses to get a new one even though he can afford it.

You don't have to train with anyone you don't want to. I try not to call anyone out in public though but they're more than welcome to talk about it after.

I'm somewhat lucky to be in a position where I can choose who I can train with without there being much in the way of backlash

Unfortunately i have set the precedent of rolling with everyone and anyone... doesnt help i also teach some classes

I'll roll with anyone that walks through the door no matter how big, ugly, awkward, or smelly they are.

Unfortunately i have set the precedent of rolling with everyone and anyone... doesnt help i also teach some classes

Well, now you can set a new precedent.

If you don't want to roll with a nastyass, all you gotta do it just, don't.

In a smaller/mid size school or class, it may be more difficult to avoid rolling with certain people

Declining without offending or gracefully declining is a harder thing to do

In a smaller/mid size school or class, it may be more difficult to avoid rolling with certain people

Declining without offending or gracefully declining is a harder thing to do

No doubt. Workplaces have courses dedicated to courageous conversations lol.

How so? Please share.

How so? Please share.

I'm usually instructing. I say no and stopped caring a long time ago what other people think. When I get to train, I do it for myself and to have fun. Putting myself in dangerous spots doesn't sound like much fun to me in the say, 3 hrs a week I get to do stuff.

I'm usually instructing. I say no and stopped caring a long time ago what other people think. When I get to train, I do it for myself and to have fun. Putting myself in dangerous spots doesn't sound like much fun to me in the say, 3 hrs a week I get to do stuff.

Sounds reasonable. When you're instructing its easier to decline rolls you don't want. But what about if it is a full open mat? In that environment its a little more awkward to turn down a roll when someone asks

Back