Regarding Lombard X Toquinho

eatthisjerry

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What would happen if Lombard lose to Toquinho (what IMHO its the most likely result - via heel hook)? All the hype (or what is left) will vanish?
Lombard came with a sore loser excuses, talking about his physical condition against Boetsch but he can't afford another loss. I have the slight impression UFC will cut him if it happens.
I think the guy is great material, UFC should give him some easier fights just to boost his confidence, since I think his issues are coming from his mind not from his body.

I see Palhares shooting in, getting stuffed, and then getting beaten on his feet. But you never know, maybe he will surprise me.

well man if he does NOTHING before falling prey to a heel hook, who knows what will happen next? Dana and crew have been known to cut some guys with very little provocation, or endure some others beyond any logic.

I sure hope Lombard shows up and gives a good performance, I think he will beat Rousimar fairly easily

If Lombard bombs vs Palhares, I could see the UFC approaching contract talks with guys like Eddie Alvarez differently. Lombard is pretty much the first/only Bellator star to make a go of it in the UFC and his failure would probably hurt Alvarez's bottom line in negotiations.

I doubt it though. I think Hector KOs Palhares in a wild one round brawl.

I dont think they will cut him.

Did'nt they sign him to some rediculouse contract. I thought I heard he signed a huge contract with the UFC.

I dont think they will cut him.

Did'nt they sign him to some rediculouse contract. I thought I heard he signed a huge contract with the UFC.

According to most reports, Lombard also has a clause in the contract that says he can't be cut for performance reasons within his first four fights. This was confirmed by 2-3 different sources including Luke Thomas.

Like I said, chances are he won't be cut. What will probably happen if Lombard loses is they'll re-evaluate Eddie Alvarez and maybe tread with more caution when it comes to signing him.

I can only see Lombard losing via lay-and-pray or submission. Hector's hips are great and he should be able to avoid getting held down by Rousimar. Hopefully he can avoid the sub attempts that we all know are coming. I see Hector winning by KO within two rounds but Palhares is so damn dangerous.

And yes, if he loses, his hype will die down a bit. I personally gave him the Boetsch fight but a loss is a loss so people will take what they can and run with it. A loss to Toquinho would solidify Lombard as "overrated" in most eyes on Sherdog. I think there are some great matchups for him at MW in the UFC and truly feel that he belongs there.

We'll see what happens though.

I see Palhares shooting in, getting stuffed, and then getting beaten on his feet. But you never know, maybe he will surprise me.

Toko pulls guard off of failed shots.

Tall order for Palhares to pull off the heel hook; Lombard has a great leg-lock game.

I can only see Lombard losing via lay-and-pray or submission. Hector's hips are great and he should be able to avoid getting held down by Rousimar. Hopefully he can avoid the sub attempts that we all know are coming. I see Hector winning by KO within two rounds but Palhares is so damn dangerous.

We'll see what happens though.

I agree, Hector's real hard to take down and hold down. I like Palhares, but I see this going something like his Hendo fight back in UFC 88, maybe a close call or two but no submission for Palhares.

i think Lombard takes this one via TKO, but who know Paul Harris is a powerful dude and if he can get it to the floor he has a chance, just not on the feet

If Paul wins I'd say that would derail the Lombard train for a while, but Lombard is a beast and think he will win impressively.

I trust in Toquinho to win this one.

He will be significantly bigger than Lombard, making it easier to land one of those jaw breaking head kicks.

52752_564945900188206_1984579513_o.jpg

That would probably be the end of any Lombard hype, at least for a while.

Methinks he's gonna end up knocking Palhares out, though. Lombard has good judo so I think he'll be able to keep himself upright and out of submissions, and Palhares has been known to do some boneheaded stuff, plus he's been finished before.

Lombards "hype train" will be back chock a block full of coal after this fight.... He had a debatable split dec. loss to a bloke who is a pretty good fighter and he was tentative as he did enter the fight with a fractured sternum. Not surprisingly he copped it for that loss but in reality we give him that one, pass no judgement and see how he goes next fight. He will be winning. He's a certainty.

Lombard will get back on track

I can promise you that Bellator hopes that Lombard wins. It won't reflect very well on them if the guy who was likely their biggest star can't seem to get past a gatekeeper in the UFC. Their credibility would take a massive hit. I do think that Lombard will pull it off though.

i see palhares winning by sub

lombard looked dreadful in ufc debut against a decent journeyman fighter

toquinho is a killer with some of the best submission skills around

im amazed can crushing on belator got him such a good contract

anyone else comes in and performs like that risks being cut

when he loses again or if fight is boring i reckon hes sent to 170
or if hes stubborn they feed him to a beast like sonnen or hendo to make him change his mind

Back