Regarding You're own Shooting Capabilities?

Chesten_Hesten

Greatness isn't Stoked by Compliments.
@Gold
Reaction score
What are you not so hot at?

Me, I'm not the best bird shooter with a shotgun, but aside from that lately, I'm not so hot with a handgun.

Back in the 90s when I practiced I could draw and hit an A zone from 7-8 yards in the .80-.90 sec range, reliably get head shots at 15 yards in IPSC matches, and was reliable out to 25 yards. I was half-assed. Not so much now. My draw is sloppy, my speed is gone, and my accuracy kinda stinks. If I entered a match now I'd have to expect a close to last finish.

My rifle skills aren't what they were in 2007 match-wise, but I can still squeak in a master score in a highpower match, so not a complete basketcase, but its slowly wanning, unless I start working on it again.

What about you guys?

What do you stink at?

Pretty mediocre at all shooting disciplines to be honest. I just don't shoot enough for anyone that knows anything to mistake me for being " good". I'm safe and competent , but that's about it. My wingshooting is probably my strongest aspect relatively speaking . I took my old single shot full choked 20 GA out to the dove field this year and still managed to do pretty well.

i'm average in all; it gets too expensive to shoot regularly. i shoot 500 rounds per visit to the range to make the range fee more economical. after a few visits to the range, the cost to keep shooting regularly really adds up.

I have no real skills. I'm most comfortable with handguns but I've not done anything resembling competition. Never even owned a holster. I like guns and shooting more than I like rules.

I'm hopeless when it comes to high-angle shooting, I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to need to shell out big bucks for a class.

I'm pretty solid at hunting and "long" range elk shots out to about 600yds but after that I'm not as confident.

I've shot 1000 yard at a range but that was awhile ago. I'm pretty certain I could do well out to 500 at a range now though.

My pistol skills could use some work but I'm competent enough. I hadn't shot at all for about 2.5 years and I went shooting and while I wasn't as good as before, I wasn't bad either.

I've spent much more time hunting in the mountains in the western USA than I have shooting pistols. Don't get me wrong, I've shot lots of pistols but it was never my primary hobby. I just love/loved taking monster elk in the lower 48 and sheep, moose, caribou in Alaska and Canada.

Lots of things, shooting is expensive and I never expected to do less shooting when I moved out to the Prairies, but them's the breaks. The shooting club I belong to now, while 1/10th the cost in annual membership fees of my old range in a different province, is only open one night a week and I'm often working that day.

As for specifics, one thing I'm really working on is breathing and timing my shots at the end of an exhale for longer distance pistol shots. The annual pistol requalification for work starts at 25 metres and is weighted the heaviest. I do well enough to pass, but I'd like to do much better. The work gun does have a 9ish lbs trigger, but that's not an excuse. I shoot a heavier double action revolver off duty to remain versatile. Perhaps that's also one of my problems, changing pistols all the time, but signing out the work gun is a huge pain-in-the-ass and in Canada, you can't shoot a pistol just anywhere, even if it's safe to do so.

Shooting is incredibly expensive. I've been extremely fortunate to have the opportunity to play around with nearly every big game caliber and every platform of hunting rifles as well as scopes, slings, different ammo etc. I've also been lucky to be able to go hunting a lot in some top notch areas in my life.

I've got a lot of pistols/revolvers but for some reason, I've never been interested enough to do more than be proficient with them and good out to 10-15 yards with them so that I feel solid with them for cc.

When I move back, maybe I'll get into some 3 gun or some steel plate matches or something. But as of now, I'd say handguns are not my strong point.

It's hard to say about my shot gunning, I've done some duck, goose and turkey hunting and done ok but not very much of it and the shooting aspect of those trips didn't seem to be terribly difficult...I suck at skeet though (my dad is awesome at it). I also have no idea what my capabilities really are with a defensive shotgun situation, I have a few but I've never done much more than blow the shit out of stuff with them and shoot skeet that we toss with a hand atlatl type thing.

Anyways, taking solid long shots at big game is something I've figured out pretty well over the years.

I focus on pistol shooting, that was my first interest, long before beginning my career. I'm turning out to be a shitty hunter with either bow or rifle but it's my first season for big game and Saskatchewan is predominantly private land. Haven't made enough friends with the local farmers and I've pissed quite a few of them off over the course of my duties.

It's like the deer know when and where I can't shoot them. Saw a herd of mulies get really close to my truck the other day, but I didn't know the land owners and didn't take the shot. Saw a bunch more, later that day, outside the zone I drew in. Some lessons learned for next year: buy all the over-the-counter tags I can, just because I have the tags doesn't guarantee success. Spend WAY more time scouting pre-season, try to make more friends amongst the farmers, shoot my .308 more often and spend MUCH more time in the field.

My long range rifle skill needs work. I don't get to practice near enough.

I can out shoot most other people with pistol, rifle and shotgun at my PD with the exception of some of the SWAT guys who probably have 4x the range time every month as I do.

Prior to getting out of the Army, I was always top 5 shooter as an Intel guy in an infantry battalion. When we deployed I was the top 5 of about 80+.

That all said, you put me in any kind of competition setting and I'm gonna get my serving of humble pie.

I suck at skeet shooting.

Back