Reilly Bodycomb Interview and Podcast about Sambo, BJJ, Leglocks and more

Stephan Kesting

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I loved doing this interview with Reilly Bodycomb. Reilly is a Russian sambo and leglock expert who has competed in a TON of different rulesets including BJJ, no gi submission grappling, MMA, Sambo, and wrestling.

He is the Pan-American Sport SAMBO Champion (2016), USA Sport SAMBO Champion (2016), Dutch Combat SAMBO Champion (2016), recently competed in Japan and is a BJJ black belt as well!

In our talk he shared stories about competing all over the world, and shared some major insights about how the rules you compete under totally influence the development of a sport. My favourite part was when we were riffing about creating the 'perfect' grappling rule set.

It was episode 125 of The Strenuous Life Podcast, links here: https://www.grapplearts.com/bodycomb/

Thanks!
SK

Awesome, Reilly is a pioneer in the leg lock game

Looking fwd to this

The thing that the new dvd set did phenomenally well was to organize leg locks not by their entanglement, but by the orientation of uke to their possible means of standing up extract their leg. It's already improved my position retention a great deal.

Awesome, Reilly is a pioneer in the leg lock game

Looking fwd to this

Let's not get out of hand. Guys like Jake shields and David Terrel were doing leg locks at the highest lvl adcc before Riley. Heck Ryan hall was heel hooking high profile guys long before Riley. Now of course people are going yo call me a hater because I stated facts.

Fantastic interview!

BTW I Flying-Scissor to Kneebarred a Blackblet in a tournament match back in 2010! #HipsterLegend! ...kinda ironic I'd end up on Stephan's Instagram getting Leglocked in a promotional photo for the Modern Leglock Formula after being such an early pioneer, but, I digress!

Awesome interview! Kesting is killing it lately!

Last edited:
Let's not get out of hand. Guys like Jake shields and David Terrel were doing leg locks at the highest lvl adcc before Riley. Heck Ryan hall was heel hooking high profile guys long before Riley. Now of course people are going yo call me a hater because I stated facts.

nah I wont call you a hater just for stating your opinion lol

to each his own I suppose

Reilly fanboys are the ones that's overrating him and trying to compare him with the big name guys. I don't have a problem with Reilly at all, but his fanboys are annoying.

nah I wont call you a hater just for stating your opinion lol

to each his own I suppose

Not to nit pick but what I said aren't opinions but rather facts that cab be checked. Jake shields, David Terrel, and Ryan hall were all tapping high profile opponents/medaling long before Riley got a cult following on sherdog.

Not to nit pick but what I said aren't opinions but rather facts that cab be checked. Jake shields, David Terrel, and Ryan hall were all tapping high profile opponents/medaling long before Riley got a cult following on sherdog.

Isn't all of the fanboying over his instructional, during a time where there was a dearth of knowledge on heel hooks? Add in the fact that he was a semi active poster and it makes sense he would be liked.

As for the fanboying, I really don't see that occurring I do see a couple posters who can't wait to explain why Reilly shouldn't have fans.

Isn't all of the fanboying over his instructional, during a time where there was a dearth of knowledge on heel hooks? Add in the fact that he was a semi active poster and it makes sense he would be liked.

As for the fanboying, I really don't see that occurring I do see a couple posters who can't wait to explain why Reilly shouldn't have fans.

He should have fans because he does put out good videos. But there is a difference between saying he puts out good videos and saying stuff like he is a pioneer.

He should have fans because he does put out good videos. But there is a difference between saying he puts out good videos and saying stuff like he is a pioneer.
He pioneered putting out good instructional material on leglocks.

You don't have to be the first guy to be a pioneer. He was certainly one of the first guys to come out with quality instructional material on the leg game, many good leg lockers started off learning from Reilly's stuff. I certainly did, even if I use very little of it now.

You don't have to be the first guy to be a pioneer. He was certainly one of the first guys to come out with quality instructional material on the leg game, many good leg lockers started off learning from Reilly's stuff. I certainly did, even if I use very little of it now.

Reilly's stuff is where I started. I've attended two of his seminar/training camps and it's always helped me out a bunch.

I was listening to the Grappling Central Podcast with Matt Kaplan and he was talking about Eddie Cummings earlier training. He said that Reilly's material was all Eddie studied as he started doing leglocks.

Reilly fan boys are annoying, but some of his students at the Berkeley Bay Jiu-Jitsu location where he teaches at are just as annoying. I know this one guy that's an acquaintance who we have mutual friends, so he's also on my Facebook friends list. And he's the biggest Reilly fanboy ever, always telling everyone on Facebook that everyone should train with Reilly and how he's god's gift to grappling, blah blah blah, LOL! That guy shut the fuck up after Reilly got smoked by Eddie Cummings though. But of course he was making lame excuses such as, "Oh Eddie Cummings didn't wanna wrestle and just sat on his ass." Everyone on social media was like chill the fuck out fool, it's a submission only match, get over it."

Back