Social Religious 'Nones' are now the largest single group in the U.S.

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

Religious 'Nones' are now the largest single group in the U.S.

NPR said:
When Americans are asked to check a box indicating their religious affiliation, 28% now check 'none.'

A new study from Pew Research finds that the religiously unaffiliated – a group comprised of atheists, agnostic and those who say their religion is "nothing in particular" – is now the largest cohort in the U.S. They're more prevalent among American adults than Catholics (23%) or evangelical Protestants (24%).

Back in 2007, Nones made up just 16% of Americans, but Pew's new survey of more than 3,300 U.S. adults shows that number has now risen dramatically...

Most Nones believe in God or another higher power, but very few attend any kind of religious service.

They aren't all anti-religious. Most Nones say religion does some harm, but many also think it does some good. Most have more positive views of science than those who are religiously affiliated; however, they reject the idea that science can explain everything.
The Pew survey is hyperlinked in the text excerpt above, but here it is again directly:

This was for the last century the foundation of American conservatism. But Trump, while he waves around a Bible, can't expound on a single story within it. Even his supporters know he doesn't care about Christ, and isn't sincerely religious. This reflects the deeper truth. If religion was a centerpiece of the culture wars...the liberals are winning it. Even where they might lose the battle of an election, they prevail in this underlying war, as conservatives are the ones radically transforming, not vice versa.

I count among the "Nones" myself, and yet I'm apprehensive about what this might entail. When I was younger, I would have been elated to read this news. Felt that it was some kind of victory. Now...I'm uncertain. And fearful, I must admit. Change is dangerous. It can bring about great improvements, but also rapid declines.

faith has a use inside society. i'm a non believer but the church can often offer what the state cannot. many chose the state to replace the church, and the belief in the state has religious undertones. a lot of the "nones" are probably state believers, which doesn't make them a "none".

Lol @ already bringing Trump up two sentences in, talk about TDS.

Anyways, the "culture war" can also have anthiest and agnostic people that still respect and desire traditional values, education, etc, which would be considered conservative. And it seems the left, at least the progressive left is now starting to lose that battle, as more moderates and independents, who are not religious, are realiizing that their values align more with conservatives, rather than the progressive left.

It's weird to see the contention from many conservatives that Government must be "replacing God" in the eyes of people without religious affiliation. As if people arent capable of not worshipping institutions, or the idea that humans are capable of not needing to worship anything is incomprehensible.

I count among the "Nones" myself, and yet I'm apprehensive about what this might entail. When I was younger, I would have been elated to read this news. Felt that it was some kind of victory. Now...I'm uncertain.
I'm the same.

Despite my atheistic beliefs, I find myself siding more with that line of thinking, morally speaking that is. I blame having kids more than anything.

Lol @ already bringing Trump up two sentences in, talk about TDS.

Anyways, the "culture war" can also have anthiest and agnostic people that still respect and desire traditional values, education, etc, which would be considered conservative. And it seems the left, at least the progressive left is now starting to lose that battle, as more moderates and independents, who are not religious, are realiizing that their values align more with conservatives, rather than the progressive left.
LOL, TDS, get the fuck out of here, dumbass. He's the most recent Republican President and the current leading candidate. The party has coalesced around his personality and platform. So to discuss his relationship to religion within the context of the Republican party couldn't be more relevant. To discuss party attitudes towards religion is what gives this a political context, why this thread is in the WR, and not the Mayberry.

LOL, TDS, get the fuck out of here, dumbass. He's the most recent Republican President and the current leading candidate. The party has coalesced around his personality and platform. So to discuss his relationship to religion within the context of the Republican party couldn't be more relevant. To discuss party attitudes towards religion is what gives this a political context, why this thread is in the WR, and not the Mayberry.

Just for added effect:

It's not unprecedented. Americans were much less religious at the time of the founding than they are now. And the '60s saw a big revival in some of the craziest aspects of religion (like Biblical literalism). So in a lot of ways, what we're actually seeing is a recovery from a big bump. There have been other bumps that have receded.

It's weird to see the contention from many conservatives that Government must be "replacing God" in the eyes of people without religious affiliation. As if people arent capable of not worshipping institutions, or the idea that humans are capable of not needing to worship anything is incomprehensible.

Weird from a guy who openly worships the state.

Back