Remember this girl who thought jogging in snowy conditions was cool?

A bit embarrassing.

I run atleast two times a week year around in Northern Europe and I've learned a few things. You only really need to watch out for really packed/pressed snow on streets like in the video or when there has a few degrees + celsius one day so the snow/ice melts somewhat and it suddenly freezes again. In my experience the risk for slipping is actually higher on trails, especially in hills, than just running on asphalt. When it goes below -6C It becomes a bit too uncomfortable for me to run. I still bike to work at -12C though.

Risk vs Reward on display here.

I don't advocate taking zero risks but damn; you can double your intended run distance and walk at a brisk pace instead of trying to run and breaking your shit.

Regardless, I hope she's okay with nothing worse than a bruised ass and ego.

I wonder if she tried jogging in snow ever again.

Should've just used an ice treadmill like this guy instead of braving the icy and lawless streets of Portland

running-run-away.gif

I don't doubt that up to this point their jog was going fine. In Canada people jog in the snow all the time, they're all kitted out for it. I think it's one of those cases where when you're being observed, and you're self-conscious about it to some degree, your actual performance goes down. The fact she gave a thumb up without turning around shows she was aware of being observed. Your brain only has so much bandwidth and when it gets siphoned off by running simulations in your head of how you're being perceived you won't be doing as well compared to when you were in the moment.

I don't doubt that up to this point their jog was going fine. In Canada people jog in the snow all the time, they're all kitted out for it. I think it's one of those cases where when you're being observed, and you're self-conscious about it to some degree, your actual performance goes down. The fact she gave a thumb up without turning around shows she was aware of being observed. Your brain only has so much bandwidth and when it gets siphoned off by running simulations in your head of how you're being perceived you won't be doing as well compared to when you were in the moment.

@Law Talkin’ Guy hey yo dude can this lady sue the news station for creating a hazardous distraction?! Ha

I like how she gives the thumbs and attempts to jog again, but her back is like "nope", and she just kinda hobbles away with her boyfriend. LOL.

Her boyfriend is thinking, no sex tonight. I could see the shiny spot were a tire had slid and she stepped right on it.

I give her props. They are cali kids we don’t know how to handle such situations. It’s 65 right Now where I am with a high of 71

I love jogging in the snow as long as it's in 30s and the ground isn't covered yet or frozen.

Back