Rener Gracie and the principals of Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

I'm worried about what jiu jitsu will become
- waits until Helio dies and sells belts online

it allowed my helio to survive against kimura for 13 minutes
worried about sport bjj rules
- helio vs kimura was under jiu jitsu rules, not vale tudo

i am talk about street fighting
you have to survive
people who train bjj for comps cannot fight
- everyone who trains bjj learns about going from an inferior position to a superior position using leverage and skill
- all the gracie challenges are not about surviving, they are about beating someone in 1 vs 1 unarmed combat
- talks and talks about self defense and how GJJ is better than BJJ, but not one video of rener or ryron getting into a street fight AND not one video of a GJJ student using GJJ for self defense (not mutual combat)
**if i am wrong on this last point, please link to the youtube vid

I'm worried about what jiu jitsu will become
- waits until Helio dies and sells belts online

it allowed my helio to survive against kimura for 13 minutes
worried about sport bjj rules
- helio vs kimura was under jiu jitsu rules, not vale tudo

i am talk about street fighting
you have to survive
people who train bjj for comps cannot fight
- everyone who trains bjj learns about going from an inferior position to a superior position using leverage and skill
- all the gracie challenges are not about surviving, they are about beating someone in 1 vs 1 unarmed combat
- talks and talks about self defense and how GJJ is better than BJJ, but not one video of rener or ryron getting into a street fight AND not one video of a GJJ student using GJJ for self defense (not mutual combat)
**if i am wrong on this last point, please link to the youtube vid

where the fuck do you get all that crap from?

he never said "people who train bjj for comps cannot fight" he said training for sport and for SD is different, which it is, very much.

he never says GJJ is better than BJJ, its the same shit with different focus, pretty simple.

Ralek was the one getting into fights, theres a video of him fighting at the age of 14, Royce fought quite a few vale tudo fights, I kind of think he proved already his point.

Janus, relax bro. You're getting sucked into the Rener Ratred.

I guarantee you Rafael Mendes could berimbolo and finish anyone in a street fight that Rener could beat by following his "GJJ principals".

It never hurt anyone to do some old school jj. One guy punches and the other works some distance controlling, clinch and takedowns.
Let up that way. The first technique you learn is the double hook guard pass.
Why? Because you learn how to pass the guard of a trained jj fighter.
Most people join jj to learn self defense.
Therefore there is a difference between what is usually taught and what is expected.

I guarantee you Rafael Mendes could berimbolo and finish anyone in a street fight that Rener could beat by following his "GJJ principals".

Did you notice he didn't include black belts?

You realize that Rener isn't anti-sport jiu-jitsu right? He is just saying you should have a self defense background. He isn't saying a high level sport competitor would get beat up in a fight, his discussion is geared towards the newer grapplers, white belts who are busy trying to absorb rubber guard and de la riva videos when they can't even shrimp properly or perform a basic trap and roll mount escape.

You realize that Rener isn't anti-sport jiu-jitsu right? He is just saying you should have a self defense background. He isn't saying a high level sport competitor would get beat up in a fight, his discussion is geared towards the newer grapplers, white belts who are busy trying to absorb rubber guard and de la riva videos when they can't even shrimp properly or perform a basic trap and roll mount escape.

You are exaggerating. No white belt... who doesnt know how to do a basic trap and roll or shrimp will even understand de la riva or rubber guard.

You will probably disagree... but i dont think this is anything groundbreaking or special even though he makes it seem like so. My school always had a self defense curriculum but never talks about being "street bjj" or wtv bullshit.

You are exaggerating. No white belt... who doesnt know how to do a basic trap and roll or shrimp will even understand de la riva or rubber guard.

Hella people that start up BJJ immediately go to youtube and start studying stuff like rubber guard when they still have terrible fundamentals. No, they don't really understand those positions, but they still try to learn them. You've never seen a post where a white belt brags about how he used rubber guard to tap another white belt in his gym when he's only been training for a month? I see it more often on reddit than here, but even here it has come up, I can link you to some posts if you need evidence. It's one of the big reasons Eddie Bravo gets so much hate.

You will probably disagree... but i dont think this is anything groundbreaking or special even though he makes it seem like so. My school always had a self defense curriculum but never talks about being "street bjj" or wtv bullshit.

A ton of schools have a self defense curriculum, he probably is exaggerating this concern. Gracie Barra has a similar program to what Rener does at the Gracie Academy, and last I checked ATOS (at least the Long Beach school) gives a really solid base in self defense. Most schools that have a beginners and advance class split will cover self defense with the fundamentals in a beginners class, not just the Gracie Academy.

A ton of schools have a self defense curriculum, he probably is exaggerating this concern.

We finally agreed on something here lol.

I hear you on the rubber guard stuff. But they are usually just flailing around trying it because it looks cool. And it does look deceptively simple "o i just grab my shin"

But you ask a brand spanking new white belt to do a berimbolo and his head will spin circles.

define SD curriculum...

if you guys are talking about choreagraphic techniques none different from what we see in TKD and karate, thats bullcrap (im pretty sure those a drill to death at the GA in torrance, waste of time IMO)... I think Rener talks abour fighting drills and stuff...

What you guys think about this controversial topic?

Really man? Do a search for Rener Gracie and you will find hundreds of posts over the last 5+ years with everyone's detailed thoughts on the subject, including quite a few in this thread.

One thing that is different is that their Blue Belt is solely based on self defense against an untrained opponent. Which includes the standard self defense applications against collar grabs, bear hugs etc. But it also includes having someone put on the gloves and punch at you to teach distance management,closing the gap and throwing the opponent or getting the takedown. Basically what you see in all the old challenge matches and what Royce did in the first UFC'S. And also how to defend strikes from the bottom including headbutts. Now this is their Blue Belt, whereas most other schools it's the basic self defense,fundamental escapes, and submissions (top and bottom) with no strikes ever being thrown.

I'm not a GAJJ representative or student, but what their doing is right. A student should have the know how to defend themselves in a real fight before anything else. After that they can 50/50 and berimbolo their asses off if that's what they want to do.

Back