Repairing tear in BOB XL

EricJutsu

White Belt
Reaction score
I own a BOB XL free standing bag and it has a tear on the head part. It's about 3-4 inches long starting from the chin going up the jawline. I emailed the company that makes it and they said look into liquid vinyl. Has anyone successfully repaired a tear on the BOB before? I ordered some liquid vinyl on amazon so I guess I'll see how that works. I'm skeptical about it holding. Any other methods you guys have in mind? It seems even melting the material could work better.

I own a BOB XL free standing bag and it has a tear on the head part. It's about 3-4 inches long starting from the chin going up the jawline. I emailed the company that makes it and they said look into liquid vinyl. Has anyone successfully repaired a tear on the BOB before? I ordered some liquid vinyl on amazon so I guess I'll see how that works. I'm skeptical about it holding. Any other methods you guys have in mind? It seems even melting the material could work better.

i split mine around the top of the eye,running down to the top of the nose with an elbow,,super glue and duct tape,is the route i went,was convinced it would hold,so i put my headguard on it,{everlast facesaver the type with the bar.}

This is an interesting topic. I don't yet have a B.O.B. but plan on getting one. Im interested in seeing how the repairs go. Please keep us updated on the liquid vinyl.

I tore mine with an elbow as well. I have already tried super glue. Actually I forget the name of what it actually was. It was really really strong glue like gorilla glue or something similar. I worked for like a day and then came apart again. I did not put any duct tape on it though. The helmet is not a bad idea to help. For the person thinking about getting one: They are neat to have. They are great for self defense training due to the realistic look and the fact that you can target eyes, throat, groin, etc. I put a long sleeve shirt on mine for added realism and to prevent scuff marks. I would definitely use sand instead of water. It will prevent it from moving much better. I would also put it on a carpet and not a smooth surface.

Think Im gonna order one off black belt shop. Cheapest I have found with free shipping.

well I applied the liquid vinyl. Before even trying it out I've decided to buy a patch for it as well. So I'll probably do the liquid vinyl, then the patch, then probably put headgear on it aswell. Hopefully those three things will be enough.

well I applied the liquid vinyl. Before even trying it out I've decided to buy a patch for it as well. So I'll probably do the liquid vinyl, then the patch, then probably put headgear on it aswell. Hopefully those three things will be enough.

Update us after some use. Ordering my BOB this weekend:)

well I applied the liquid vinyl now. I'm going to wait a day and then put some headgear on the BOB for added protection. I hit it and flexed the head a little bit and it seems like it will hold. It isn't stiff at all. It flexes with the BOB. I'll give another update in a few days to let you how it holds up. I think with the headgear it will definitely work.

Okay I added the patch and then added another layer of liquid vinyl over the patch. I then put headgear on it as well. So far it has held up and it seems like it will for a long time. I have noticed a much more serious problem though. If you take the BOB off the stand on look down its torso you will see a plastic cylinder running down the center of it. There are several little nubs that hold it in place at the various height settings. One of them has broken off and another is partly broken off. I am now worried eventually it will no longer hold its height setting and just be stuck on the lowest one which is pretty much useless except for kicks and body punches. Be aware of this and do not put it on the tallest heights and always lower the BOB all the way down before moving the BOB. I did not always do that and now I'm screwed. Has anyone else have this problem with the BOB or any of free standing bags? I wonder how I can fix this or if you can buy a replacement part for it. I can definitely see in the future having the BOB no longer hold itself in place.

Okay I added the patch and then added another layer of liquid vinyl over the patch. I then put headgear on it as well. So far it has held up and it seems like it will for a long time. I have noticed a much more serious problem though. If you take the BOB off the stand on look down its torso you will see a plastic cylinder running down the center of it. There are several little nubs that hold it in place at the various height settings. One of them has broken off and another is partly broken off. I am now worried eventually it will no longer hold its height setting and just be stuck on the lowest one which is pretty much useless except for kicks and body punches. Be aware of this and do not put it on the tallest heights and always lower the BOB all the way down before moving the BOB. I did not always do that and now I'm screwed. Has anyone else have this problem with the BOB or any of free standing bags? I wonder how I can fix this or if you can buy a replacement part for it. I can definitely see in the future having the BOB no longer hold itself in place.

The black belt shop sells a replacement BOB upper but its still pricey. almost as much as a new BOB. I actually ran into that problem with my first Wavemaster. Didn't read the instructions and left it on the highest setting at all times. I learned.

I never had it on that high of a setting though and didn't even use it a whole lot. It's crazy how it can be this cheaply made. I don't see how they can hold up for anyone who uses it regularly and hits it hard. Especially if they kick it a lot. I hope it holds up. Only one of the little nubs are gone so maybe it'll be okay if I don't kick it much.

I never had it on that high of a setting though and didn't even use it a whole lot. It's crazy how it can be this cheaply made. I don't see how they can hold up for anyone who uses it regularly and hits it hard. Especially if they kick it a lot. I hope it holds up. Only one of the little nubs are gone so maybe it'll be okay if I don't kick it much.

It should hold up. After the first Wavemaster fiasco....I got a power line and also an XXL. Now mind you I am a heavyweight and both have taken blasts without a hitch. Have had them for over 2 years.

By the way....went to order a BOB this past weekend but happened to go to a store near me called Play it Again Sports. Low and behold they had a barely used one(not the XL) for a damn good price so I grabbed it. Perfect condition and the base was already filled with sand(it was a bitch getting it out of my truck bed....lol)

What a fun training tool!!!!! I have been using it more than my heavy bag...lol.

yeah I hope my BOB will be alright with the missing nub. I guess I just can't train kick as much anymore. I mostly do boxing anyways. It would suck to have to buy another one. I hate buying the same thing twice.

Did the liquid vinyl still hold up? I need to repair a cut in the neck that is only a half inch long but deep. What liquid vinyl did you use?

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem but it was two small children of a student climbing on my BoB XL that smashed the little nubs, as you call them, or buttons so that the dummy can't be raised. What I did was cut three 4" x 4"s and put the one corresponding to the height I want on top of the base's center post. Then you put the BoB body on top of that 4" x 4". I've got 4", 7", and 10" pieces of 4" x 4"s for this purpose but have someone measure as you raise it to each height you want and then cut to those dimensions.

Hi Eric,

I had the same problem but it was two small children of a student climbing on my BoB XL that smashed the little nubs, as you call them, or buttons so that the dummy can't be raised. What I did was cut three 4" x 4"s and put the one corresponding to the height I want on top of the base's center post. Then you put the BoB body on top of that 4" x 4". I've got 4", 7", and 10" pieces of 4" x 4"s for this purpose but have someone measure as you raise it to each height you want and then cut to those dimensions.
Could you post a photo or explain this a little more. You have the bob on top of the wood but the wood is mounted to the plastic cylinder base?

Back