REVIEW: Jacare Gi Instructional

scorcho

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I ordered this instructional, and have been watching it over the last couple of days:

http://www.bjjtapes.com/data/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=123&idproduct=439

Let me start of by saying that I have quite a lot of experience with instructionals and have seen most of the top ones around. This is one of the best, if not the best gi instructional I have ever seen. The camera angles are good and Jacare always makes sure to explain exactly what he is doing and why (through a translator). The dubbing is fairly good, although not synched exactly. The translater sometimes uses some interesting Brazilglish. However, it is still easy to understand.

Jacare shows each technique four times, twice at slow speed with explanations and then twice at faster speed from different angles without explanation. The really cool part is that sometimes after demonstrating the technique, the video will cut to a sequence where Jacare pulls the technique off in actual competition. Given how hard footage of BJJ matches can be to get, it is awesome to see Jacare in action and understand exactly what he is doing. It really gives you a feel for the technique and how it should be used.

In these tapes, Jacare goes through 4 major phases of the BJJ game: takedowns, guard passes, submissions and sweeps. The takedowns section is amazing, and the others live up to their billing as well. Just one warning: these tapes are for fairly advanced practioners - blue belt at the least. Jacare does not really explain basic techniques, focusing on setups instead. For example, he shows you how to set up a moroto seoinage and a kata guruma in a tourney, but does not explain how to actually do these two throws. With that said, I think everyone can benefit from these tapes.

Great instructional set. Highly recommended to jiu-jitsu practioners interested in improving their gi game and learning from one of the best in the business.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hey Scorcho, what are some of the instructionals you really like?

I also really like Tony Cecchine's stuff, and Marcello Garcia is also great. Karo's stuff is also surprisingly good.

I've got Cesar Gracie's instructional and was thinking seriously of picking up Saulo's this summer.

If you made a list of top five instructionals for somebody who had just gotten their blue belt, where would Jacare's rank?

Thanks.

I think Saulo's is the best and I have almost all of them.

Honestly, the Jacare is decent but quite overpriced imo. It's a 2 disc set and it would be only 1 disc except for the grappling footage of Jacare competing. It costs $100. For only $50 more, you could get the Marcelo Garcia 6 disc set or even the Saulo 6 disc set and both are much better imo. I would also say Leo Viera's ser is better as well. The Jacare is good though.

Back