REVIEW: NoGi Tsu-skin rashguard

lowCofG

Green Belt
Reaction score
another Xmas gift I'm just getting around to being able to try out... pics coming eventually, but there are pics at http://www.nogi.com/clothing/rash/rashguardmain.htm

I am a diehard atama rashguard fan, first off. They're the gold standard, so far as I'm concerned, just so you know what I'm comparing this rashguard to.

Construction seems sturdy on this rashguard, and the stitching is solid, yet low-profile/unobtrusive. Logos are handsome without being gaudy. The neck is much like a t-shirt style rashie-- that is, it's not mock turtleneck style. However, it was adequate during gi training to keep me from getting marked up from choke burns.

This is a thinner material than the atamas I am used to, just for sake of comparison. Also missing/different are the thick bands at the bottom of the cuffs and waist. I am generally leery of any rashie that doesn't have these, as ride-up is more of an annoyance when you're a chick. :redface:

I was pleasantly surprised to find that this rashie stayed in place just fine, both underneath a gi, and when grappling nogi, even during extended shrimping drills. Sleeve length was great-- not too long, not too short. I tend to overheat at times in the atamas, had no such problem in this rashie. Pulled the sweat off of me just fine, and drying time seemed pretty quick-- that NoGi calls their rashies "second skins" is an apt description. The cut was nice, I barely noticed having it on.

As I hope the pics I will eventually post show, the rashie is a slightly lighter shade of grey than the pics at nogi's website show (they look closer to black on my screen, while the rashie is actually charcoal grey, as their description states).

I've only washed this rashie maybe five times so far, but I've experienced no peeling on the logos at this point. I will update this as the rashie ages and gets more use. The front graphic is inspired by the logos used on the old Jet shorts, I believe, while the back graphic is from the tsunami graphic line. Someone at my academy accused the berry colors on the graphics as being pink, I promptly choked them. :icon_twis

I found this rashie to be an especially good buy since the long-sleeve only ran thirty bucks, which is a really good price for a rashie these days. I would definitely recommend these to my friends, and would certainly be inclined to get another rashie from NoGi.

any specific questions, or pic requests, let me know.

bah. I'm going to send you pink-shaded sunglasses to wear all the time, so the world will look pink. :p

you'd have died laughing-- the 1st day back at my new gym, there's a chick in thethe whole atama pink line: pink rashie, pink fight shorts, and pink kyra gi. I think my hands instantly formed claws. sneering is fun!

thx for the review! I still gotta write my Nogi OE/Echo Shorts review :redface:

heard that, mack... I'm working on one for phantom/ghosts. and hoodies. and will likely throw in pics of the "older" ones I have just for s & g's. I'm hoping to put the ghosts or phantoms through one more evening of rolling, though. Might go ahead, not sure.

just trying to pound out some reviews before surgery next week. :(

lowCofG said:
heard that, mack... I'm working on one for phantom/ghosts. and hoodies. and will likely throw in pics of the "older" ones I have just for s & g's. I'm hoping to put the ghosts or phantoms through one more evening of rolling, though. Might go ahead, not sure.

just trying to pound out some reviews before surgery next week. :(

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........I really want the phantoms :( How are they?? I am so buying the phantoms next time. Anyways, hope you write up some good reviews. Hope your surgery goes well. Cya....off to Vancouver to watch David Copperfield perform lol :D.

the phantoms are pretty sweet, as you'll soon read. :)

thanks for the well wishes, I'm mostly worried about how much mat time I'll lose recovering, than the actual surgery, lol.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks awesome Low. I was really considering going with a white "splat" no gi rashie, but my worry was that the logo's would peel. Even if it did, I'm sure it would look fine, but if I'm gonna get one with a logo, I'd like it to stay that way. Regardless, your review was great and I'm def gonna consider nogi next time I'm buying.

Thanks

Nice review. I don't know what all the pink obsession is about, but okay.

Thanks for the review lowcofg and good luck with the surgery. A little question I have on the rashguard is how good is the material used on it? I've bought some cheap ones before and the material balls up and gets fuzzy. Thats the best way I can really describe it. Thanks.

timbaland-- to be honest, no rashguard I have ever owned (atama, nogi, sprawl, hitman, underhook, rednose...) has done that pilling thing you mention. I can only assume this is coming from the way people are laundering their rashguards? I have seen people w/ older atamas that are all balled up like you mention, but mine never have. I'm actually rather curious how the hell that happens...

I've only owned this rashguard a short while, but I've seen nothing that indicates pilling might occur. If, with time, I find otherwise, I'll update here.

Thanks lowcofg. I have the Nike compression shirts that I sometimes wear to grappling. I own 3 of these and they all balled up after a few washes. It sucks even running my fingers over them it feels staticy and rough. I hate it

As for washing them, I just put them in a normal cold wash. Afterwards I will throw them in the dryer for 5 minutes, then I will hang them up and let them airdry.

I think the dryer is the culprit, timbaland. I could be dead wrong here, but for the sake of argument, next time you get a new rashguard, try NOT putting it in the dryer-- ALL air dry. see if that makes any difference.

also, if you get rashguards that have logos, etc. on them, turn the rashie inside out before you wash it to prevent any unnecessary damage.

and now I feel like the g&e den mom.

Oh, I never knew that most people never put it in the dryer at all. I always turn my shirts inside out before washing though. I'll try not drying them though next time. Thanks.

I'm almost wondering if it's worth creating a den mom thread on laundry for mma gear 101.

seriously fellas, holler any time you have questions on how the heck to wash something. Don't assume your mom, wife, sister, girlfriend or whoever knows. Ruined gear makes me sad, even when it isn't mine.

i bought a NOGI rashguard, i like the thinner than normal material. but the printing wore off after like 1month of training,

lowCofG said:
I'm almost wondering if it's worth creating a den mom thread on laundry for mma gear 101.

seriously fellas, holler any time you have questions on how the heck to wash something. Don't assume your mom, wife, sister, girlfriend or whoever knows. Ruined gear makes me sad, even when it isn't mine.

start it up!!!!

Back