Revisting Tank Abbott vs Don Frye from back in the day…

Thanks man, I am not too proficient on embedding videos.

Appreciate the assist.

Tank really had Don against the ropes, and that really didn't look like much of a "push" by Frye, he's honestly lucky Tank was caught off guard by Frye's flopping and leaning into him. But Frye absolutely took advantage of it. And yeah, Don ate some crazy shots and hung in there.

Tank really had Don against the ropes, and that really didn't look like much of a "push" by Frye, he's honestly lucky Tank was caught off guard by Frye's flopping and leaning into him. But Frye absolutely took advantage of it. And yeah, Don ate some crazy shots and hung in there.
Meh Tank was gassing out faster than a hot air balloon and Don stayed on him.

Don ate those punches and kept coming.

That fight was so awesome and fun, even though it was a short fight it was really entertaining!.. I loved both guys. Frye is so tough, his face was starting to look like hamburger meat and I thought he will get laid out cold at any moment.. amazing comeback!
Don Frye in those days was the toughest of the tough.

He was unreal.

Don Frye was a freaking G.

Dude is pretty much crippled from all the wars he was in.

But man was he tough.
On one of his pods he was discussing Tank saying his fights were works. “Abbotts been pushing that narrative for 30 yrs now. That whole tournament was set up for fatass to win”-Frye

I was a fan of Frye back in the day, but disappointed he always seemed to run into guys in the middle of the pack. Aside from Coleman, he never really fought a top guy until Pride. There were a ton of fights with top UFC guys that i would have loved to see, but they never happened.

Tank was giving Don Frye all he could handle with those big stiff shots to the dome, if Tank doesnt fall I think its entirely possible that Don gets dropped after eating a few more of those power punches

My favorite Tank quote that just sums up the 80's pro wrrstler machismo after loss via tapout, " he's going to the hosital and im going to the bar, probably get in another fight. "

Tank was def landing some serious damage on Frye - who knows what woulda happened if they stayed up. Frye is the fuckin man. The epitome. The embodiment. I showed him to all my friends in high school in ‘00/‘01 and he became a legend to everyone who wasn’t even a fan of ufc - and just constantly referenced and weaved into jokes. He’s just that dude. That being said, some of those losses later on are pain staking to watch. What coulda been if he was 5 years younger at the start and hadn’t had so many horrible injuries

Watched it live. Thought Tank was going going to knock him out. Don is a beast though. Love both of those guys still today

I was a fan of Frye back in the day, but disappointed he always seemed to run into guys in the middle of the pack. Aside from Coleman, he never really fought a top guy until Pride. There were a ton of fights with top UFC guys that i would have loved to see, but they never happened.
What the heck are you talking about??

I love this fight. Two of my favourite fighters from early UFC.

Do you even realize who were considered top guys back then?

Makes zero sense. Also he fought mostly in tournaments.
Yeah, and I would have loved to have seen him fight guys Marco Ruas, Dan Severn, Vitor Belfort, Mark Kerr, Maurice Smith, or Guy Mezger.

There's a reason you can't name other top guys he fought besides Coleman.

Yeah, and I would have loved to have seen him fight guys Marco Ruas, Dan Severn, Vitor Belfort, Mark Kerr, Maurice Smith, or Guy Mezger.

There's a reason you can't name other top guys he fought besides Coleman.
You are indeed clueless…guy mezger was not a HW dummy and Don was already not fighting again till he came back in Pride later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Real Deal
Back