Revisting Tank Abbott vs Don Frye from back in the day…

You are indeed clueless…guy mezger was not a HW dummy and Don was already not fighting again till he came back in Pride later on.
Mezger fought at HW and, with the weightclasses and tournaments they had back then, it would have been easy for him to fight Mezger. And, yeah, that was my point: he never fought any top guys (besides Coleman) until Pride. Guy Mezger came in one year after Frye left and, with Mezger's record, he would have been a great opponent for Frye.

Tell you what: why don't you list the top guys that Frye fought in the UFC?

Big fan of both guys and Tank was recently on Rampage’s podcast and was telling stories about the glory days.

His fight with The Predator was a total firefight with Don ending up with the win after RNC the Tanker.

One thing that Tank and others claim is that if Tank did not “trip” he would have finished Frye.

After watching that fight numerous times, I don’t think thats true at all. Don ate a bunch of power shots from Tank and landed some good ones of his own.

The key is that Don kept pressing forward and if you watch closely, he hits Tank with his shoulder and then pushes/presses forward causing a gassed out Tank to fall over.

Don takes Tanks back and the rest is history.

I thought somebody would surely die in that fight when it happened lol.
I was on the edge of my couch glued to the TV.

I miss the old days, but of course I do.... I'm in fact... old lol

Glad that Tank is still with is. I thought I heard he was hitting some rough times as far as his health recently.

You're truly upsetting me sir, if we don't get the Hendo av back I'm starting a god damn riot lol

A testament to Frye's toughness is Shamrock blowing both of his knees in PRIDE, and Frye still winning the fight. He was never the same after that fight. That fight, too, is one of the most underrated wars that doesn't get a lot of pop. Real ones know.

Yeah I think Shamrock became dependent on painkillers after that one, took a heavy toll

Yeah I think Shamrock became dependent on painkillers after that one, took a heavy toll
It's genuinely a fight that left both completely fucked off. One of the greatest wars. A split decision was always fitting, I remember in real time feeling like Ken won, though. I'm sure a loss like that, in what was essentially a grudge match, was demoralizing for Shamrock. But I'm sure they both still feel effects of that fight, somehow. Whether bc of aches and pains, or drug addictions.

If they fought 100 times tank might win ten with a punchers chance. Don Frye was not fucking joke.

Theres a yt video of the post-fight (don't want to link it because it would taken down by IP lawyers). Ken walked back with his then gf Alicia Webb aka Ryan Shamrock. I remembered those of us including myself who weren't pro-wrestling fans asking who was she and getting told that she was his sister.

Meh Tank was gassing out faster than a hot air balloon and Don stayed on him.

Don ate those punches and kept coming.
It wasn't pretty, but Don absolutely ate those shots and kept coming.
But being honest, if Tank didn't fall and instead kept teeing off on Frye's head, even for a couple more seconds, it looks like it would have been good night for Frye.

It wasn't pretty, but Don absolutely ate those shots and kept coming.
But being honest, if Tank didn't fall and instead kept teeing off on Frye's head, even for a couple more seconds, it looks like it would have been good night for Frye.

I can understand your perspective but Don would literally have had to be killed to be stopped in those days.

I can understand your perspective but Don would literally have had to be killed to be stopped in those days.
We're on the same team I promise. I've always rooted for Frye, and always hated Abbott (as a person, although he seems to have mellowed out A LOT). A lot of those old fighters had huge (not cool) egos, and Tank was one of the worst. Just came off as a nasty guy. Always loved me my Frye though.

Random semi-related note: I met Ken Shamrock in 2009 or so at an ammy fight. He was front row "guest of honor". I won my fight by sub and went up to him afterwards to shake his hand and say "hi", and he literally did

HHH disgusted dismissal
to me . Serious douchebag as well.

That fight was so awesome and fun, even though it was a short fight it was really entertaining!.. I loved both guys. Frye is so tough, his face was starting to look like hamburger meat and I thought he will get laid out cold at any moment.. amazing comeback!
It was very fast and furious. No BS. No feeling out process. Both men straight in for the kill. It looked like a street fight in a way. One of my favorite fights ever

We're on the same team I promise. I've always rooted for Frye, and always hated Abbott (as a person, although he seems to have mellowed out A LOT). A lot of those old fighters had huge (not cool) egos, and Tank was one of the worst. Just came off as a nasty guy. Always loved me my Frye though.

Random semi-related note: I met Ken Shamrock in 2009 or so at an ammy fight. He was front row "guest of honor". I won my fight by sub and went up to him afterwards to shake his hand and say "hi", and he literally did

HHH disgusted dismissal
to me . Serious douchebag as well.
Dude, there are SO many stories about juice-head Ken treating people badly.

Don’t know if you have seen “Blood Brothers” Frank Shamrock’s story but if not, watch it.

Ken was an asshole to Frank and used to torture his students at Lion’s Den. Ken was very jealous when Frank started to become a star and then Frank became FAR better then Ken.

Even guys they both fought like Tito and Bas, they all liked and respected Frank and hated Ken.

I used to feel bad for old Ken after watching Tito beat him into a “living death” multiple times but after hearing these kinds of things(like you shared) on many occasions, he deserved all the beatings he got.

It was very fast and furious. No BS. No feeling out process. Both men straight in for the kill. It looked like a street fight in a way. One of my favorite fights ever
Yeah it was awesome, that was a great event too Ultimate Ultimate 96. Everything was bigger, badder and better then.

I remember seeing a interview with Frye some years after and he said Tank's punches hurt like hell and that he has serious power and he felt every shot like an electric shock.

I always have fond memories and love for the Ultimate Ultimate events, its a shame they only did 2 of them, they were very successful. You know my favorite fighter ever Dan Severn totally dominated and beat everyone in the first Ultimate Ultimate 95, thats why I love it. No one could even land a punch on him. Great memories.

I'm not sure why they didn't continue the Ultimate Ultimate events, I was expecting Ultimate Ultimate 97 but nothing.

Back