Ridiculous struggle with fat guys

I'm 6'2" 260. I used to have 3-4 people to roll with big enough that I couldn't put my feet on the ground from mount... one or two I couldn't close my guard on.

With sleeve grips, I could usually knee push sweep. From the knees I was taller, so I could push them, then arm drag them to the mat and take their back.

Maybe it is all about size to weight ratio, but I feel like with the truly huge, they give up a lot of movement.

fuck were you grappling zuluzinho???

chin to chin is nice vs them big boy, low passers. get to SLX and its pretty much game over, most really big guys are getting swept there.

Fat guy with skill is a different beast than big muscular guy with skill...thats my firm opinion based on my experience.

Each is as beatable as the other, but while some techniques are applicable to both, there are differences.

size.jpg

Avoid half guard.

Agreed. I like to play a lot of half guard but the guys who have a significant size\strength advantage just smash the ever loving crap out of me and it goes downhill from there.

Saulo's version of the scissor sweep works lethally well against fat guys in the gi, in my experience. Sometimes they go right into the deadzone without even stepping, but when they do step kicking that leg out is sooooo satisfying.

Of course. Still, if we start from the bottom, I'm expected to let him get on top because I'm more experienced. Would you agree that it's usually harder to get a fat guy off you than a taller athletic guy weighing as much as the fat guy?
No. The fat guy is going to have a harder time closing gaps and the fat not being controllable means if you get him moving he will have a harder time stopping his own momentum.

TS the real solution is to get even fatter than your opponent then what is he going to do.

BN-CY554_sumo_G_20140527043434.jpg

I rolled with a big dude tonight and had a serious issue closing my legs in the guard...and I'm 6'2.

Move around them. They are slow, and if they can be fast, they will gas fast trying to keep up with your movement.

You've got to create distance. Unless you are very leggy, closed guard is not your best option. I AM very leggy, and I still don't like to used closed guard against fat guys. I feel like a knee shield, feet on the hips, and carefully timed entry to half guard for back takes are the positions that work best for me. Fat guys don't necessarily have great bases, and if you can create space, you can get enough umph on knee push sweeps to off balance them, and they just sort of fall over on their sides. Then pop right up to side control or spin around the other way to the back. Knee on belly once on top to me gives me the most mobility. I try not to play too much side mount with these guys, as it is easier to get swept. But KOB and technical mount offer a lot of movement, and allow me to stay on top.

I'm 6'2" 260. I used to have 3-4 people to roll with big enough that I couldn't put my feet on the ground from mount... one or two I couldn't close my guard on.

With sleeve grips, I could usually knee push sweep. From the knees I was taller, so I could push them, then arm drag them to the mat and take their back.

Maybe it is all about size to weight ratio, but I feel like with the truly huge, they give up a lot of movement.
God damn I can't even imagine that shit.

{<doc}

Feet on the hips with collar/sleeve control. Don't go to mount.. knee on belly instead

When I come to think of it a large sumo wrestler would wipe out most BJJ competitions in the absolute and UHW divisions, if it weren't for the butt-scooting - must engage opponent on his back rules. He would win every match by advantage at the least.

I think with some cross training he could probably start dominating people on the ground in no gi too. Might take a while to get the sub but the pressure alone would probably finish a lot of people if he could pass guard at all.

Last edited:
No. The fat guy is going to have a harder time closing gaps and the fat not being controllable means if you get him moving he will have a harder time stopping his own momentum.

The fat guy also has more weight around his center of gravity, it also has shorter limbs relative to weight, so its hard to do certain things to him.

I dont have any tactical specifics but on the strategic realm, you got to keep moving, he spends far more energy than you by moving his body, so if the tempo of the match is at a high pace he will get tired faster than you, the same applies to muscular guys.

It may be discouraging to be manhandled and feel like whatever you do has no effect, but trust me, it does has effect, the worse thing you can do is slow down the match to a pace that the big guy will be comfortable with.

The fat guy also has more weight around his center of gravity, it also has shorter limbs relative to weight, so its hard to do certain things to him.
As a fat brown belt I support this message.

Back