Rigondeaux.

Now that Lomachenko beat him, what's the verdict on Rigondeaux?
He’s a 37 year old fighter who moved up two weight classes to fight his last fight and probably has enough money to live comfortably off.

He’s a 37 year old fighter who moved up two weight classes to fight his last fight and probably has enough money to live comfortably off.
I heard he didnt make that much money. I think he will be back.

I heard he didnt make that much money. I think he will be back.
Could be, I have no idea about him really so anything I say is pure speculation. He’s shown he has the balls to fight the best available even if he did quit on his stool.

Talented boxer who never got a shot again in his prime after being punished for beating Donaire.

Waste of incredible skill talent,

A guy who on multiple occasions had an opportunity to make a name for himself...but failed miserably at it..

Rigo just didn't grasp the concept that, cruising to one sided UDs in glorified sparring sessions will not attract fans.

As stupid as it sounds I think the sport of boxing failed him.

Winning should matter. Defense should matter. One promoter should not be able to literally black ball you and ruin your entire career because you did too well against his fighters. Idiots fans and writers like Fat Dan should not be able to hurt your career because you smashed their filipino hero into worthless little pieces.

He should make HOF for:
1. His amateur achievements - arguably GOAT
2. Looking exceptional as a pro, one of the best defensive fighters ever H2H
3. Being on the P4P list for around 240 weeks aka close to 5 years
4. Domination against First Ballot HOF'er coming of Fighter of the Year, in Donaire.
5. Winning a world title in his 7th pro fight
6. Being one of the most ducked boxers in the history of the sport. It was shameful.

He quit against Lomachenko but that doesn't undo the legend he has created.

Donaire is a first ballot hof’er?
Obviously. He has beaten absolutely everybody who's a somebody in his era, was basically P4P no.3 after Floyd and Manny, one of the very best of all time at his prime weight class (Flyweight).
He's a weight cutter but he just achieved so much.

Obviously. He has beaten absolutely everybody who's a somebody in his era, was basically P4P no.3 after Floyd and Manny, one of the very best of all time at his prime weight class (Flyweight).
He's a weight cutter but he just achieved so much.
The guys that deserve it don’t always get it, but I’d forgotten how good his run at flyweight was before I went back and looked at his record.

An exceptionally talented fighter who had a hatchet job done on his career in the US. Granted, it's a little more complex than that; Rigo did himself zero favors by overvaluing himself, being a poor negotiater, and seemingly ignoring big fights that were there. Also, just not a big draw; I loved his style (when he was trying), but he gave us some real stinkers too. Still, fuck Arum, Dan, Kim and the rest of the boxing world establishment for ruining his career.

that said, at his best, easily one of the best 122ers ever; at least in terms of skills. Should be first ballot HOF depending on when he retires (obviously he's not going to be getting in over the guys who retired this year).

Hardcore fans will keep debating over him for quite some time. Others won't pay attention.

A solid contender for worst career management ever, IMO.

Everyone says poor management, but I put the overwhelming level of blame on Rigondeaux.

Rigondeaux simply cannot perform when trying to be more aggressive - he tried for a while against Cordoba or Marroquin and got knocked down so he reverted back to his old style.

His style does put fans to sleep. The Agbeko fight was the nail in the coffin. Most of the crowd had left during that fight and viewing numbers dropped.

Rigo has made absolutely zero effort to learn English. He lives permanently in Miami. The fighters from Europe have all been learning English very quickly.

The other part of the blame is with people who ducked him - they would lose and look boring whilst losing.

He was mismanaged but he didn't do himself any favours either at times. Extremely skilled fighter, but chinny.

He should make HOF for:
1. His amateur achievements - arguably GOAT
2. Looking exceptional as a pro, one of the best defensive fighters ever H2H
3. Being on the P4P list for around 240 weeks aka close to 5 years
4. Domination against First Ballot HOF'er coming of Fighter of the Year, in Donaire.
5. Winning a world title in his 7th pro fight
6. Being one of the most ducked boxers in the history of the sport. It was shameful.

He quit against Lomachenko but that doesn't undo the legend he has created.
Do amateur credentials get considered? It's not like Tefilo Stevenson, Lazlo Papp or Felix Savon are in the HOF

I don't think he's first ballot unless his retirement year is quite a weak one, but he should get in eventually, solid HOFer.

Do amateur credentials get considered? It's not like Tefilo Stevenson, Lazlo Papp or Felix Savon are in the HOF

I don't think he's first ballot unless his retirement year is quite a weak one, but he should get in eventually.
Yeah I don't think he'll be first ballot either. He could get in one day in his lifetime, but he still should get in.
Lazlo Papp is in HOF, the others aren't...I think that could be because they didn't have professional careers. I can't help but think Papp's 3 Olympic Golds have something to do with that.

Yeah I don't think he'll be first ballot either. He could get in one day in his lifetime, but he still should get in.
Lazlo Papp is in HOF, the others aren't...I think that could be because they didn't have professional careers. I can't help but think Papp's 3 Olympic Golds have something to do with that.
Didn't know that and it must have been considered then, good sign for Rigondeaux's chances.

Back