Ring Control

You have to, esp. in north america where alot of the rules adapted from a boxing ruleset. RC is tied with aggression, so losing on one has you losing on 2/3 which is a no-no.

One simple statement I like to say when teaching new people to cut, is to look at it as a game where you must stay facing your opponent all the time. He/she uses an angle to get out, they're facing your side which is a loss in this game... so don't let that happen.

One they get a bit more advanced, you tell them to predict where the opponent will go, and it makes the cutting much easier.

But damn @shincheckin did you record this video with a potato?

Jon Anik gets a lot of unnecessary hate, he's the best they've ever had IMO, he's actually professional yet still calls people on their shit all the time. But I digress. He usually points out that Octagon control is supposed to be judged only if you're not sure what else to go on.

L. Criteria Evaluation
1. Each judge is to evaluate which fighter was most effective. Thus striking and grappling skills
are top priority.
2. Evaluating the criteria requires the use of a sliding scale. Fights can remain standing or grounded.
Judges shall recognize that it isn't how long the fighters are standing or grounded, as to the
scoring the fighters achieve ,while in those positions.
3. If 90% of the round is grounded one fighter on top, then:
-effective grappling is weighed first.
-clean striking is weighed next. If clean strikes scored in the round, the Judge shall factor it
in. Clean Striking can outweigh Effective Grappling while the fighters are grounded.
-octagon control is next (pace, place & position)

4. The same rational holds true if 90% of the round were standing. Thus:
-clean striking would be weighed first (fighter most effective)
-clean grappling second (any takedowns or effective clinching)
-octagon control which fighter maintained better position? Which fighter created the situations
that led to effective strikes?

5. If a round was 50% standing and 50% on the ground, then:
-clean striking and effective grappling are weighed more equally.
-octagon control would be factored next

6. In all three hypothetical situations, effective aggressiveness is factored in last. It is the
criteria of least importance. Since the definition calls for moving forward and scoring, it is
imperative for the Judges to look at the scoring first.

7. Thus for all Judges scoring UFC fights, the prioritized order of evaluating criteria is:
-clean strikes and effective grappling are weighed first.
-octagon control
-effective aggressiveness

You have to, esp. in north america where alot of the rules adapted from a boxing ruleset. RC is tied with aggression, so losing on one has you losing on 2/3 which is a no-no.

One simple statement I like to say when teaching new people to cut, is to look at it as a game where you must stay facing your opponent all the time. He/she uses an angle to get out, they're facing your side which is a loss in this game... so don't let that happen.

One they get a bit more advanced, you tell them to predict where the opponent will go, and it makes the cutting much easier.

But damn @shincheckin did you record this video with a potato?

yeah it came out pretty crappy, it was with my cell phone rather than my HD camera. I was lazy because transferring the video from HD cam to my social media is much harder than with my cell phone. It was also at night so the lighting is all messed up and stuff too. I didnt realize it was so bad until i put the clip together.

Good advice. In kick boxing I was told to attack too from the side where I want my opponent to go. For example I would like to jab and add hooks or kicks from the left if I wanted to move him to my right or the oposite if I wanted to move him to the left.

Good advice. In kick boxing I was told to attack too from the side where I want my opponent to go. For example I would like to jab and add hooks or kicks from the left if I wanted to move him to my right or the oposite if I wanted to move him to the left.

exactly right!

I try and explain it like an old school video game- you can go left, run that or straight. It gets more subtle and nuanced from there but that’s the beginning of it

When you get them in the corner: 3 -> body kick is a god send. If you have the timing right , you literally can spam it and it'll work wonders.

Back