Rippetoe gives his thoughts on Cain and Junior's S&C and his thoughts on S&C for MMA

I won't say incorrectly, because it's a can of worms, but I will say it looks odd compared to the other squats I see.

Idk where you train, but at the average mainstream gym, next to nobody squats at all. Iff someone just read SS than they're likely doing it better than the few people who actually do.

Idk where you train, but at the average mainstream gym, next to nobody squats at all. Iff someone just read SS than they're likely doing it better than the few people who actually do.

I think it should be obvious from the post you just quoted that I train at a primarily powerlifting gym.

Those sorts of gyms seem to be such a minority that I would never assume it.

uh, he said the people who train at his gym are primarily powerlifters. You don't really have to assume it since he actually said it.

What I find interesting too is that conditioning is left to only 2 high-intensity sessions a month. Rip doesn't seem to be a believer in LISS training for MMA.

i think he just wants to leave more room for skill training, much of which would be classed as Liss work.

I actually agree with Ripp more than Louie on the basic lifts are really all that you need. At least in a minimum sense. I'm no longer a fan of doing weighted movements that attempt to mimic skills. But where I totally disagree with Ripp is his fucked up view of conditioning; and if I went to his gym I would tell him that. I also disagree with min strength standards to a certain extent. I can do walking lunges with 225 but I can barely squat 400 so does that mean my strength is a liability? Of course not because strength is so subjective and is defined by the sport you're playing.

Other than Ripp's messed up way of teaching how to pick up heavy objects my only real problem with Ripp is his shooting his mouth off all the time. We are all opinionated but disparaging people publically shows a profound insecurity and lack of integrity.

Somebody might want to put the Simmons quote in context.

Or, of course, actually talk to him.

I actually agree with Ripp more than Louie on the basic lifts are really all that you need. At least in a minimum sense. I'm no longer a fan of doing weighted movements that attempt to mimic skills. But where I totally disagree with Ripp is his fucked up view of conditioning; and if I went to his gym I would tell him that. I also disagree with min strength standards to a certain extent. I can do walking lunges with 225 but I can barely squat 400 so does that mean my strength is a liability? Of course not because strength is so subjective and is defined by the sport you're playing.

Other than Ripp's messed up way of teaching how to pick up heavy objects my only real problem with Ripp is his shooting his mouth off all the time. We are all opinionated but disparaging people publically shows a profound insecurity and lack of integrity.

yup

"crossfit is the best thing to ever happen to barbell training" -Mark Rippetoe

yup

I believe he also mentioned that low bar squats are better than HB for Olympic weightlifting. I don't really like talking negatively about him because SS got me started, but so much of what he says is ridiculous. He encourages small guys to eat over 8000 calories per day, and his best success story is a guy who gained 40-50 lbs of fat in 9 months, who just happened to have a really good squat by the end of his novice phase.

I also don't like his form advice on the squat, but I think that his awesome marketing has caused so many people to get into lifting that his bad advice is offset.

I just re-read Wendler's article on strength training for MMA. It seems solid enough:

Day 1: Squat, SOHP, Assistance Work.

Day 2: Deadlift, Bench, Assistance Work.

Day 3: Additional Assistance.

It looks good, but I've no idea what exercises I'd use for Additional Assistance. I'd probably use Boring But Big on the main Lifting days.

I also don't like his form advice on the squat, but I think that his awesome marketing has caused so many people to get into lifting that his bad advice is offset.

I am noob so I have to ask this but what is so wrong with his squat style?

yup

I'm not entirely sure how that's inaccurate. You'd be hard pressed to find a woman doing deadlifts or benching pre-Crossfit.

I just re-read Wendler's article on strength training for MMA. It seems solid enough:

Day 1: Squat, SOHP, Assistance Work.

Day 2: Deadlift, Bench, Assistance Work.

Day 3: Additional Assistance.

It looks good, but I've no idea what exercises I'd use for Additional Assistance. I'd probably use Boring But Big on the main Lifting days.

Probably curls.

You know what, replace the deadlift, squat and overhead with curls and you've got a championship level lifting routine.

I think it's worth mentioning that part of strength work for a fighter isn't just getting strong, but preventing muscular imbalance or injury. Which, squat, bench, OHP, and deadlift, as great as they are, may not do an adequate job of on their own.

Probably curls.

You know what, replace the deadlift, squat and overhead with curls and you've got a championship level lifting routine.

You obviously worship in the Church of Jaunty.:icon_lol:

Back