Rise of the wrestlers.

otizik**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Early UFC landscape was dominated by wrestlers then around Anderson Silva's era we witnessed new breed of champions with good BJJ game or TD defence and equally developed striking who reigned supreme.

Is it just me or recently with the likes of Khabib, Khamzat, CCC, Kamaru and Makhachev we now have a new generation of wrestlers with the innovative ground game?

Last edited:
Wrestling is the most important aspect of MMA; this becomes especially true, the more the sport evolves.

Look at the best divisions of the sport (135/145/155/170) - there are practically no fighters who don't have at least somewhat decent wrestling.

The mma wrestling game involved. Was American wrestling style with long range double legged shoots, then strikers learned how to defend these and rose back up, now it’s the Eastern Europe pressure wrestling style where you can’t stuff a takedown and then be back to striking. They’re all over you, backing you up to the cage, instead of wall n stalling you they’re dragging you down with trips snd Greco style upper body control. Then a different way of dealing damage from the top not just laying there.

There’ll be a counter evolution in a few years I’m sure. But right now it’s the neckbeards time to shine

Early UFC landscape was dominated by wrestlers then around Anderson Silva's era we witnessed new breed of champions with good BJJ game or TD defence and equally developed striking who reigned supreme.

Is it just me or recently with the likes of Khabib, Khamzat, CCC, Kamaru and Makhachev we now have a new generation of wrestlers with the innovative ground game?

Good post and well said. I think you're right.

Wrestlers have always dominated the sport... The likes of Aldo and Anderson are rare breeds. Hell, anytime Anderson faced a good wrestler he had a hard time. Still won because he was so damn good

Makhachev has not done enough to be in this discussion with the others.

Last edited:
Wrestlers went nowhere.

The the type of grappling you are talking about is a hybrid

Its not just plain wrestling. In fact, wrestlers often times have to “ditch” half the play book and incorporate other strategies in their game to succeed in mma.

They get these wrestlers early in the transition to mma, show them all the do’s and dont’s on where to be so jiu jitsu cant catch you. Then you end up with what we are seeing today.

Lay-n-pray has been taken over with smash-n-pass busy style top-game. The top-game had to change and not appear to stall.

The UFC for years went to war against wrestlers. Cutting any wrestlers after like 1-2 losses.

Well there was a guy who used wrestling pretty well during Silva's era. Canadian fella, fought at 170... now what was his name?

Well there was a guy who used wrestling pretty well during Silva's era. Canadian fella, fought at 170... now what was his name?
Hope you're not talking about the canadien 170er that ducked Anderson are you, and was scared to put his wrestling up against the spider!!

Hope you're not talking about the canadien 170er that ducked Anderson are you, and was scared to put his wrestling up against the spider!!

Your spider was a limp fella who had to do steroids to make all the babies he has and win all the fights he did. No needle, and he lost to fucken Uriah Hall. Cheater all the way.

You mean the rise of the eastern style wrestling\judo\sambo cross training?

paul herrera was a good wrestler lol

Your spider was a limp fella who had to do steroids to make all the babies he has and win all the fights he did. No needle, and he lost to fucken Uriah Hall. Cheater all the way.
What does that even mean?? Steroids cause erectile dysfunction if anything, so why did he have to take steroids to make babies? expand maybe. Not my Spider(He's everyones spider), just stating the facts pal-o.

They need to just start calling rules against excessive clinching like they started doing stand ups against lay and prayers. Just break up the clinch, and then this european clinch takedown bullshit will stop just like the lay and pray bullshit stopped.

Back