Rival Gloves and Headgear?

mastino177

White Belt
Reaction score
Still can't make my mind up for the gear I need for training. Has anyone used Rival gloves or headgear? Seems like good stuff, but is it good enough to justify the price. The equipment would be used for sparring and would need to hold up for a few years.

Ya really need 4 threads for this?

Gloves are great, but you would do just as well with some Cletos or Twins or what have you. I've used the bag gloves and I really liked them.

4 posts? There was a problem with the computer last night, so if I posted that much, sorry. I'm just trying to get opinions.

I have the Rival Ultra Bag Gloves in 14 oz and I really like them. The wrist strap is a bit of a pain because it's long, but it's worth the effort because the support is great. I haven't used them alot as I'm a jiujitsu guy and only do bagwork occasionally so I can't say as to how they last. The quality seems to be there though. The hand compartment is more snug than my Windy's, but the Windy's are a couple of years old and a well broken in. I like my combination of Rivals for bag work and Windy's for sparing.

Needs:
Good quality for sparring
Durability to last

Cheapest:
Twins Special. High quality and last forever. Muay Thai Stuff - Thaiboxing MMA products Shorts Boxing Gloves Equipments is good, but takes a long time for shipping from thailand and shipping costs a fortune. fightstuff.com, ringside.com and combat sports international's site has some good options.

Longest lasting:
Fairtex. Everyone raves about how long they last and how comfertable their gear is. Check the same sites for more info and fairtex.com. But be ready to open your wallet, its very expensive.

Best for sparring:
Muay Thai gear is normally flatter/harder then boxing gear. The best I hear is Reyes gloves and gear. But they are kind of hard to find and expensive. Title platinum is pretty soft and effective. But keep in mind you shouldn't be hitting bags/pads with gear like this because they wear very fast because they are too soft for that kind of impact. Muay Thai gear can be used for both.

Or you can go with Fairtex gear, but buy their pro sparring gloves. Much softer then the training gloves for better sparring. But the problem is that they don't recommend them for bag/pad work for the reason I gave earlier.

their gloves are very comfy and pretty good for sparring, you won't kill your opponent with their sparring gloves, pricey but worth it.

I've heard some good things about Rival, and I've seen positive posts here about both their sparring gloves and headgear. Pricey though, and I've heard the gloves have a large hand pocket which I don't really like.

If price truly weren't an object, then nothing beats Winning when it comes to gloves and headgear, imho.

I've heard some good things about Rival, and I've seen positive posts here about both their sparring gloves and headgear. Pricey though, and I've heard the gloves have a large hand pocket which I don't really like.

If price truly weren't an object, then nothing beats Winning when it comes to gloves and headgear, imho.

Quick question..winning gloves = synthetic leather as well correct?

Rival is a good brand. I own a pair of 16 oz gloves and headgear and they seem solid.

Back