News RIZIN NYE: around 20 fights, more foreigners, 100% arena capacity, announcements in early Dec

Poor guy. At least he has Ryota.

I admire his spirit though. He has been around a decent amt of time at this point, since the days of Shooto BJ, and is still trying to get somewhere. Horiguchi — healthy — will always be a bad match-up for him, but he’s one of the greatest fighters from Japan all-time, so it’s understandable (talking about gucci).

So what are some fights everyone wants to see or think might get booked beyond the GP Semis and Final?

I'll throw an arsenal out:

Souza x Yamauchi or Daisuke Nakamura
Ushiku x Mikuru
Saito x Kleber
Hamasaki x RENA
Kuramoto x Otsuka
Yamaniha x Okada
Ota x Erson
Kubo x Hiramoto
Yachi x Beynoah

And of course something competitive for Tenshin and Horie

looks like the Japan Sports Agency managed to get exceptions for GGG and the international competitors at the figure-skating tournament in Osaka
watch this space, I guess

I mean if Rizin can't get the exceptions but figure-skating can, then we should just all retire as MMA fans since we are below figure skating in the sports hierachy

That’s good news. Prime GGG absolutely washes Murata within the first few rounds or so, but I’m expecting Murata’s best — he shouldn’t underperform considering what’s at stake.

I mean if Rizin can't get the exceptions but figure-skating can, then we should just all retire as MMA fans since we are below figure skating in the sports hierachy

Well to be fair, the top two figure skaters in the world are Japanese so you know anything they can flex their world dominance in, they're going to.

Worth noting that figure skating is absurdly popular in Japan. Definitely bigger than MMA and boxing there. But yeah, its a good sign that pre-existing athlete visas are already being made exceptions for

For a half a second I thought that an announcement that GGG was fighting in Rizin..

So, the GGG fight has been postponed:

Gennadiy Golovkin (@GGGBoxing) Tweeted:
I am deeply disappointed that fight in Japan has been postponed but the health and safety of the public must always be the priority. I look forward to returning to the ring against Ryōta as soon as possible.

Well if Murata VS GGG is not happening NYE then the chance of foreigners with zero name recognition entering Japan for Rizin is slim at best.

pretty much. But they’ll only be one show in town, which is probably good for Rizin, if they can put together a decent card.

So, the GGG fight has been postponed:

Gennadiy Golovkin (@GGGBoxing) Tweeted:
I am deeply disappointed that fight in Japan has been postponed but the health and safety of the public must always be the priority. I look forward to returning to the ring against Ryōta as soon as possible.

What a dumb over reaction from the Japanese government over a variant that has already been proven to be less deadly and the vaccines work on.

basically mass induced hysteria over a variant that came out to be nothing

What a dumb over reaction from the Japanese government over a variant that has already been proven to be less deadly and the vaccines work on.

I read the other day in asahi that Kishida had backed away from telling airlines not to take reservations for flights to Japan. Would be interested in seeing some polling, because he’s not standing strong.

Not to turn this into a war room thread, but that’s mild compared to what some Western nations are doing

Not to turn this into a war room thread, but that’s mild compared to what some Western nations are doing
I know, I’ve seen the stuff Austria and Germany are doing. This is gonna be a thing every winter forever it seems.

if thats not all - Mikuru Asakura looks doubtful for the card as well, he got hurt doing a street fight challenge for AbemaTV the other week where members of the public tried to beat him up to win a Y10m prize

if thats not all - Mikuru Asakura looks doubtful for the card as well, he got hurt doing a street fight challenge for AbemaTV the other week where members of the public tried to beat him up to win a Y10m prize

.........street fight challenge where random people try to fight a famous MMA fighter/youtuber......Never change Japan

if some rando hurt him, then he shouldn’t fight GGG, old or not

pretty much. But they’ll only be one show in town, which is probably good for Rizin, if they can put together a decent card.

Yep, Ioka VS Ancajas was also just postponed.

If only ONE would loan Rizin some of their fighters...

No Kyoji, probably no big bro Asakura, no Tenshin VS Takeru

Right now the card is weak af. My guess is we will get more freakshow match up like Bobby Ologun.

Back