road bike

chimpoehurricane

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a road bike next spring or late winter. Not sure where to begin. Any suggestions?

A lot of people ride Giant bikes, but you dont need to spend loads of money if its just a bit of extra exercise you're after. I wouldn't bother with the cleats and clipless pedals either, unless you're going the competitive route.

Another reason I stick to standard pedals is that I don't want to be half stuck to the bike, because I had a smash with a car and flew off the bike clean which I don't think would have happened with the cleats. I have a Felt bike and its nice, actually won it as a prize

A lot of people ride Giant bikes, but you dont need to spend loads of money if its just a bit of extra exercise you're after. I wouldn't bother with the cleats and clipless pedals either, unless you're going the competitive route.

Another reason I stick to standard pedals is that I don't want to be half stuck to the bike, because I had a smash with a car and flew off the bike clean which I don't think would have happened with the cleats. I have a Felt bike and its nice, actually won it as a prize
I took a giant mountain bike a few years ago. I didn’t like being in traffic with headphones and got bored without. Tried to find some trails around me but getting to the trail was the issue, given with kids my time is very limited.

Oh and wear a helmet and glasses too. After my accident I can't stand seeing people flying around on bikes with no helmet. I didn't bother with glasses for a while but a couple of flies in the eye changed that and a stone chip from a car going by hit me in the neck , so fuck it better safe than sorry

Thanks. I am Looking around for a road bike. I'm aware of a local cycling club. I think buddy does outrageous amounts of miles. Like multiple marathons on a single session. I am a noob. I want low impact cardio.

What did you start out with?

Oh and wear a helmet and glasses too. After my accident I can't stand seeing people flying around on bikes with no helmet. I didn't bother with glasses for a while but a couple of flies in the eye changed that and a stone chip from a car going by hit me in the neck , so fuck it better safe than sorry

Thanks man.

What did you ride to start out? I am looking for a road bike. I have nothing atm so anything is a start. There's a nice bike place near Me. It's too late in the season to spend obnoxious amount of money. I will next spring or late winter.

What did you have when you started out?

I rode tons of other bikes before but my first road bike was just a second hand entry level Specialized Dolce 2013. Actually a ladies bike but can still haul ass.

drop handlebars and road wheels are a whole different ball game when it comes to speed.

I rode tons of other bikes before but my first road bike was just a second hand entry level Specialized Dolce 2013. Actually a ladies bike but can still haul ass.

drop handlebars and road wheels are a whole different ball game when it comes to speed.

Thanks. I will look around online, market place, and local shops. I got a old bike. It is fine for what's left of the goos weather. Next season I will be going hard.

Thanks. I will look around online, market place, and local shops. I got a old bike. It is fine for what's left of the goos weather. Next season I will be going hard.

it will take a little getting used to with the handlebars and how much easier it is to go fast but with the right gearing (pedal slow with a tough gear until you’re used to fast rotation) you should be fine.

it will take a little getting used to with the handlebars and how much easier it is to go fast but with the right gearing (pedal slow with a tough gear until you’re used to fast rotation) you should be fine.
Thanks man.

Get a gravel bike and 2 sets of wheels, 1 for gravel riding and one for the asphalt. Some roadbikes can accommodate 30c tires if you're not planning to ride gravel. Also, what's your area like? Mostly flat or hilly? I replaced my 50-34 with a 46-30. Climbing became more enjoyable.

Back