Rochester ny BJJ

AskingMoreQs

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering about some of the best places in rochester to train for bjj. I know NOVA Fitness used to be good but eric cady isn't there anymore and i don't know anything about Jason Plaisted, Bryan Rowlands or Dave LaMagna. I know 10th planet with Chris herzog is there and probably the top contender right now but im not sure if 10th planet is my style or what i want to do yet.

I also never heard of the guys behind synthesis bjj, but seem to be a part of bjj revolution team? Dont ask me to just try them all out, thats what I'm trying to avoid haha. I just want some opinions on what you guys experienced training with roch. bjj people or if you know more about the instructors than I do.

Chris is an awesome coach, very friendly and personable. He strives to get the most out his students. He has several MMA fighters that train there, mostly No Gi as he's tenth planet, but I believe he's also a Blackbelt in judo, and I'm not to sure on his rank in sambo. His team is also a leg locking machine and they have seminars with Igor Yakimov(world Champion in sambo) every year.

Yeah I heard that about Herzog that he and his team like leglocks. The thing that sucks is that it's nogi only but i know he's actually recognized in bjj as a solid guy. Do you know how much he translates his judo and sambo into the bjj he teaches?

Super heavy influence of sambo. His takedowns and leg attacks are legit, I'm pretty sure he's eddies go to guy on the subject. On top they have a smothering style, on bottom it's 10th planet game.

Im hearing good things about synthesis bjj. Does anyone have any experience?

Im hearing good things about synthesis bjj. Does anyone have any experience?

Andrew Smith here! I had the pleasure of awarding Collin Schraeder with his BJJ black belt last year. He's much deserved. Casey, Collin, Jason, and everyone up at Synthesis do a fantastic job welcoming all with legitimate BJJ. Feel free to shoot any specific questions my way.

Casey and Jason apparently teach the gi classes twice a week. Does Collin ever teach those? As well, can you tell me a bit more about Casey and Jason? I'm unfamiliar with them and am currently debating between Team Empire and Synthesis (perhaps both, because I want to still incorporate gi into my training)

I trained at Nova while I was living in Rochester for college. Even though Eric isnt there anymore. Jason Plaisted recently got his BB from Roy Harris and is excellent. Nova has a bunch of talented guys and is definitely worth checking out.

It seems that there is not a ton of stuff otu there in Roch. for BJJ and grappling. 10th planet seems top right now but there's very few universally respected gi places out here

Casey and Jason apparently teach the gi classes twice a week. Does Collin ever teach those? As well, can you tell me a bit more about Casey and Jason? I'm unfamiliar with them and am currently debating between Team Empire and Synthesis (perhaps both, because I want to still incorporate gi into my training)

I'm pretty certain that Collin is teaching regularly, but not sure which classes. I'd reach out to those dudes.
Jason is a lifetime martial artist and a long time purple belt. He's very good at explaining things in a simple manner.
Casey is a brown belt with a lifetime of experience in wrestling. He is literally a world class wrestler and a hall of famer. He's virtually impossible to sweep.

All of these dudes are welcoming and will take care of new folks.

Hi there,

I am Jason, one of the owners of Synthesis BJJ. Collin teaches Wednesdays and Saturday's. Casey teaches on Mondays. Casey and I are always there all 3 days, and Casey does a 7pm no gi roll on Sundays. We also have an mma class with the most experienced pro mma fighter in the area and a wrestling class as well.

Please feel free to visit our Facebook for schedule and updated happenings. Our website is being updated right now but you can find coaches bios as well.

We always provide any prospective students 1 free week of classes, and we are also running a Groupon special.

Hope to meet you soon.

I rolled with a guy from synthesis that moved out this way and his technique was tight. If he is any indication it is a solid school.

Back