Rodolfo being more "wrestly" in his last mma match

After eating that knee, I'd try to take him down too. He was good being dogged though, just stayed on him the whole time until he could get him away from the fence and grapple-fuck him. Exactly what he should be doing, especially at this mid stage of his career.

He should watch that video of Khabib gnp. I'm convinced that the bottom side wrist control is the key to riding / gnp. It's not something I think gets dealt with a lot in classic BJJ, because most people aren't making a concerted effort to get to their feet. But you can see how effective he was posting on that hand and framing the face to create space. Eventually he gassed I think, or Viera got him enough in the middle of the mat to grapple fuck him. Also- click to near the end- nasty cut from that knee.

After eating that knee, I'd try to take him down too. He was good being dogged though, just stayed on him the whole time until he could get him away from the fence and grapple-fuck him. Exactly what he should be doing, especially at this mid stage of his career.
Ah, the takedowns were expected, but the way he rode the opponent, not hurrying to get classical bjj positions that felt much more wrestling like.

Ah, the takedowns were expected, but the way he rode the opponent, not hurrying to get classical bjj positions that felt much more wrestling like.

A big eye opener for me when I started training with good MMA fighters was that there's a third, transitional phase of grappling between the TD and the BJJ that we basically just ignore in jiu jitsu, namely keeping the guy down. So I think you're right to note that RV has clearly shored up his riding and his ability to keep the guy down, and that's a huge part of using BJJ effectively in modern MMA.

A big eye opener for me when I started training with good MMA fighters was that there's a third, transitional phase of grappling between the TD and the BJJ that we basically just ignore in jiu jitsu, namely keeping the guy down. So I think you're right to note that RV has clearly shored up his riding and his ability to keep the guy down, and that's a huge part of using BJJ effectively in modern MMA.
Must learn da art of riding lol

He looks sooooooo much better.

This was Rodolfo 1 year ago

Back