Roger GOAT confirmed?

He wants to crush a bunch of cans in One FC.

Hey man, be nice. I doubt he's going to make One FC money in the grappling game. The man wants to make money. Don't knock the hustle.

Why is Roger above Rafa?

I'd say Roger is above Rafa based on the manner in which he won. Rafa has done a remarkable job of being a hair better than his rivals at the right time. Roger smashed his rivals.

He wants to crush a bunch of cans in One FC.

Not a terrible way to earn some money, I guess.

Anyone remember why Roger only fought once in the UFC? He came in with a pretty good record. He only had one fight and loss a decision to a prime Tim Kennedy.

I'd say Roger is above Rafa based on the manner in which he won. Rafa has done a remarkable job of being a hair better than his rivals at the right time. Roger smashed his rivals.
i think rafa is better technically, but roger is far more accomplished.

also, roger went and submitted all of his opponents with the same move in the worlds, in multiple years. once he choked everyone out with a cross collar choke from the mount. once with collar chokes from the back, if i'm not mistaking. he won his ADCC gold by choking everyone with a RNC... dude is insane.

Hear Hear.. Hear Hear.. The GOAT has been Crowned!!!

goat-beauty-crowning.jpg

Attachments

• goat-beauty-crowning.jpg
    goat-beauty-crowning.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
i think rafa is better technically, but roger is far more accomplished.

also, roger went and submitted all of his opponents with the same move in the worlds, in multiple years. once he choked everyone out with a cross collar choke from the mount. once with collar chokes from the back, if i'm not mistaking. he won his ADCC gold by choking everyone with a RNC... dude is insane.

Please; describe why you think Rafa is a better technician?

Apart from the Pan Championship where Rafa subbed Cobrinha... Rafa has never really separated himself from the rest of his division

Unlike Roger and Marcelo who time after time... Proved that they were head and shoulders above their competition

Let us ask ourselves this question... At this current time would Rafa Mendes be a better technician than Lucas Lepri?.. Lucas won the 2016 Worlds, 2017 Pans and 2017 Worlds, without a point being scored on him in his division :eek::eek::eek::

Some of Lucas' opponents on his magnificent run:

Mansher Khera
JT Torres
Edwin Najmi
Marcio Andre
Jake Mackenzie
Caio Almeida
Yan Lucas

Lucas has top notch stand up, passing, as well as a great guard... Rafa has an impeccable Guard as well as passing but his stand up is non existent

Can we really say that Rafa is a better technician than Lucas Lepri?.. Technique speaks to all aspects of one's game... Lucas in my opinion demonstrates a higher level of all round technique

Last edited:
Please; describe why you think Rafa is a better technician?

Apart from the Pan Championship where Rafa subbed Cobrinha... Rafa has never really separated himself from the rest of his division

Unlike Roger and Marcelo who time after time... Proved that they were head and shoulders above their competition

Let us ask ourselves this question... At this current time would Rafa Mendes be a better technician than Lucas Lepri?.. Lucas won the 2016 Worlds, 2017 Pans and 2017 Worlds, without a point being scored on him in his division :eek::eek::eek::

Some of Lucas' opponents on his magnificent run:

Mansher Khera
JT Torres
Edwin Najmi
Marcio Andre
Jake Mackenzie
Caio Almeida
Yan Lucas

Lucas has top notch stand up, passing, as well as a great guard... Rafa has an impeccable Guard as well as passing but his stand up is non existent

Can we really say that Rafa is a better technician than Lucas Lepri?.. Technique speaks to all aspects of one's game... Lucas in my opinion demonstrates a higher level of all round technique
i say he's more technical because i see their technique and believe rafa's is sharper.

like i said, roger is far more accomplished, but my personal opinion is that rafa's technique is cleaner and more refined. you dispute my claim by listing accomplishments, which doesn't make any sense.

One could argue that Rafa has changed the game more than Roger. Rafa's style became par for the course at lighter weights and you can't visit an academy without finding someone emulating Rafa's style.

i say he's more technical because i see their technique and believe rafa's is sharper.

like i said, roger is far more accomplished, but my personal opinion is that rafa's technique is cleaner and more refined. you dispute my claim by listing accomplishments, which doesn't make any sense.

Yes Rafa's BJJ is beautiful, aesthetically pleasing to the eye... But this is the dictionary definition of the word technique; that I subscribe to:

"a skilful or efficient way of doing or achieving something"

Rafa's BJJ is extremely skillful and efficient

Roger's BJJ is also extremely skillful but in my opinion it was more efficient... His technique enabled him to not only beat but dominate almost everyone in his path... His Submission Rate is listed at 82% on BJJ Heroes vs Rafa's 63%... Hh neutralised the strongest aspect of Buchecha's game, then submitted him with skillful and efficient technique

Technique is comprised of more than complexity of movement, or aesthetic appeal... Efficiency is just as important when classifying technique... & Roger is the most efficient BJJ fighter of all time

Smaller athletes always have "cleaner technique" than their larger contemporaries... The laws of human physiology make this so... Smaller Athletes have the capacity to develop higher levels of fine/gross motor control... Which in turn can lead to what is perceived as "cleaner" or "refined" technique

Rafa is going to look better And sharper than roger cause he's a lightweight... Is that simple. Big boys tend to be less coordinated, slower and much stronger, the game is played in a different field. While mobility and speed are the key factor for lightweights, pressure is for hws. you see this happening at most combat sports.

I think Roger and Rafa are too far away in the weight class to compare them technically.. different body types, different meta.. it's a comparison that doesn't make a lot of sense to me..

An argument of this kind is also too subjective since there isn't a way to accurately measure technicity when we are talking about the absolute highest pinnacle of the sport as in their examples.. there could be good arguments for the both of them.. in my opinion

Anyone remember why Roger only fought once in the UFC? He came in with a pretty good record. He only had one fight and loss a decision to a prime Tim Kennedy.

He had one fight left on his Strikeforce contract when the UFC bought them out. Guess Dana didn't feel like shelling out Anderson Silva money for him.

Rogers fight sucked super hard. He gassed out completely (likely due not cutting weight properly) during the first round and was incapable of doing nothing in the next two.

Last edited:
yada yada yada...

Smaller athletes always have "cleaner technique" than their larger contemporaries... The laws of human physiology make this so... Smaller Athletes have the capacity to develop higher levels of fine/gross motor control... Which in turn can lead to what is perceived as "cleaner" or "refined" technique

well yeah, that's what i'm saying. his technique is cleaner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jess_bjj
Back