Rolling in wrestling shoes

DCnMO

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Ever rolled while wearing wrestling shoes? What's that like? Seems like some things could be extra painful, though also seems like it might be worth it for a little extra toe and ankle protection.

better for start standing, good for grip, easier to get heel hooked - take your pick

have fun getting Heel Hooked bro. If your starting standing sure its alright but not worth it IMO

people who likes foot locks will love you for it

Back in the day it was super common.

I still do it sometimes. More vulnerable to heel hooks but more protection against straight foot locks.

The weight on the shoe makes open guard work more clunky and more tiring.

Also, triangle choke entries usually clobber your opponents with the rubber sole so there is that.

My stand up game isn't intensive so I prefer to spar without them even if I had the choice.

Love my training partners who we're shoes. Thanks for the toe holds and heel hooks.

I like it. People act like you are automatically going to get heel hooked and are going to suck, but theres a lot of pros with them. I like wearing them too because it prevents me from getting toes caught in clothes, and mat burn on my feet.

mf3mc.jpg

Never rolled with wrestling shoes, but I have with sambo shoes. A little lighter and less traction are the main differences.

Not only did I not get heel hooked, I didn't get leg locked very often. (And this was at a gym where Bodycomb taught and also I don't think I ever rolled with the guy who I could never stop from heel hooking me). If anything, wearing them made me more aware of my feet and thus made me more proactive with defenses. People who say "you'll get heel hooked"...whether or have shoes on or not doesn't affect whether or not you have a free leg. Sure there's more grip, sure there's more chance to grab it, but there's only a slight increase in how often you'd get heel hooked since there will be a few more entanglements with the added shoe.

I don't like rolling with shoes though. Just my preference.

I did it for a little while while injured and my biggest problem was getting stuck in quarter guard.

Thanks for the input folks. I hadn't considered shoes making you more vulnerable. FYI, by toe and ankle protection, I was referring to sprained toes, and rolled ankles.

A double edged sword apparently.

I bought a pair because everyone at the club I was at rolled with them. I stubbed my toe on the crappy used mats we had all the damn time. I don't wear them anymore in our new place with brand new mats.

We also were an MMA club, so going from striking to grappling and vice versa sucked for me in them. Its hard to explain but the extra traction when I was trying to kick made my knees feel funny.

Doesn't matter than much. It's not like most people defend heel hooks by slipping their feet out of them anyway. What it does give you is a little more stability and pressure when on top, though sometimes it's annoying to try and do things like get hooks in because the shoe catches much more easily on gi fabric than flesh.

The day I see someone take off, wipe off or cover their wrestling shoes while using the bathroom and before walking on the mat will be the day I'm ok training with people with shoes.

People act like wearing shoes makes you so vulnerable for heel hooks but they fail to realize, most people compete in organizations that do not allow heelhooks, so who cares if someone goes for heelhooks against you in practice. Big whoop. Its practice.

Its the same thing as wearing pants to practice that are a little too long. Yes, a few people might be able to bull fighter or Toreando you a bit easier, but its not like every guy is just going to abuse the shit out of you. I wear wrestling shoes to practice all the time because of toe injuries or whatever and guess what? I dont get heel hooked any more than when I dont wear shoes.

Back when I did no gi, I was a BIG fan of the guys who showed up in wrestling shoes. Straight ankle lock and toe hold city.

My gym was pretty open about the rules, but heel hooks still weren't allowed in training.

The extra grip on the mat is awesome though, HELLA strong.

You usually cant compete with shoes so i rarely wear them in practice but if I have a nasty cut/mat burn i'll wear them or if my ankle is jacked and can benefit from the added support.

the being said though I like wearing them I feel I get alot better explosion in shoes when going for takedowns and can really drive my toes into the ground for pressure passing.

I've been heel hooked/toe holded in the shoes before and I do feel like it made it easier to happen but its just training so what do i care? and I dont feel like I was getting footlocked any more then when I dont wear them

I wear them whenever i can. Yes they have more grip on leg locks. If anything you will learn to avoid them or learn to properly escape them. They shouldn't be pulling hard on a heel hook anyway. Anytime i don't wear them I seem to injure a toe or get some nasty mat burn.

Back