Rolling with fresh ink?

ministerofpain

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm about to get a rather sizable tattoo on the back of my shoulder. This will be the first time my bjj life and my tattoo life have crossed. My question is, what should I do? How should I go about rolling? Any special treatment?

It depends how quick you heal. I'd say a month is safest, but I know guys that wait days. Personally, I wait until the scabbing stops.

I'm in the days category. If it's a smaller piece, I'll roll. If I'm getting my back worked on, I'll just drill for a week or so until it heals.

I usually just let people know prior to rolling, for example while my neck tat was healing I asked if they could try not lapel choke me, or if they wanted to take jackets off and roll nogi. With my leg I just asked people if they could be aware of it, not to grind too much against it or anything.

bad idea altogether. not worth messing up your tattoo and wasting money because you want to roll around with another dude.

I've been working on a leg and arm sleeve since February and I've taken anywhere from a week to a week and half off from training after each session. It all depends on how fast you heal and how big the piece is I guess. My artist says to wait at least two weeks but I've felt fine going in to train slightly earlier than that with no complications to the new ink. I usually wait until the majority of the flaking is gone. That's just me though. I've had some teammates train after a few days.

Let it heal. You spent over $100 on something that's going to be permanent. You should make sure you protect your investment. Let it heal all the way. It would be a bad idea to roll while you're still healing.

Let it heal. You spent over $100 on something that's going to be permanent. You should make sure you protect your investment. Let it heal all the way. It would be a bad idea to roll while you're still healing.

This.

I swear, some of you BJJ guys are insane about this shit. This reminds me of the fairly numerous "Hey, my arm was just reattached after an industrial accident. Think I can restart BJJ in a couple of days?" threads.

I had a guy roll with me a day or 2 after getting some shit done. I got ink all over my white gi. Thank god it came out, though.

I usually do the tattoo on a thursday. Monday or tuesday I'm back, with lotion and plastic over it.

No problems until now, did that twice.

This.

I swear, some of you BJJ guys are insane about this shit. This reminds me of the fairly numerous "Hey, my arm was just reattached after an industrial accident. Think I can restart BJJ in a couple of days?" threads.

To be fair... as long as he tucks that arm in his belt, he should be safe to roll by Friday evening. ;)

But about the tattoo...I got my first one about 3 weeks ago and took a week off, then when I started back wore a rashie under my gi top for another week, and now it's no biggie.

I'd wait until the scabbing heals up. After that I think you'd be good to go, especially nogi. The gi irritates new tats a little more from my experience.

I usually get work on a Saturday and I'm back on Tuesday with it wrapped up and wearing a rash guard under my gi.

Then that dude lied about how long ago he got his tattoo, it was super fresh

Back