Social Roseanne tweets outrageously racist comment about former Obama staffer Valerie Jarrett

If that is accurate, that's fucking insane. I'm not defending Roseanne by any means, I don't give a fuck about her or any cast members. I'm just saying if they really said that she called all black women apes, when she only made a joke about one particular individual, that's nuts.

I'll start PVRing CNN when I'm watching that shit, would be nice to have been able to post it.

What a whiny fucking bitch with a hurt pussy. Be a man and get the fuck over it.

Yeah, one of the really strange and kind of sick things about these debates is the implication that market logic trumps everything else. And it's from all over the spectrum: "The proletariat should stand up and break the chains of oppression--but, I mean, if it hurts their employers' bottom line, that's going too far." "There's a natural hierarchy and some races are meant to be ruled--but, you know, if saying so causes more customers to be turned off than on, it shouldn't be said."

It's as good an example of radical centrism as I can think of.

DeYad4NW4AI-AHk
She has a history with using the word ape against women of color and now she wants to blame Michelle Obama for her firing. Surprised she didn't call her a name too.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...tter-to-fight-her-shows-cancellation.amp.html

images

It's as good an example of radical centrism as I can think of.
Ha, this is what happens when you turn against the flow. Radical centrism. Get me the fuck out of this decade, ASAP.

He was killing it at the rally the other night.
Chuck Schumer is a tool....lol

She really needed to shut the fuck up. But if she's gonna go full martyr, there's nothing that can be done for her.
She should have just apologized and laid low till it blew over. It's really weird how the Drumpf cult loves to double down on stupid when they make a mistake, but I guess they take after thier daddy in that respect.

Ha, this is what happens when you turn against the flow. Radical centrism. Get me the fuck out of this decade, ASAP.

There is no logical, ideological, or moral basis that I can ascribe to your position besides "whoa, whoa let's not be drastic here." Your "turn against the flow" hasn't been justified whatsoever: that's radical centrism.

You are of the mind that economic actors should be persuaded to accommodate, if not empower, racists because, from what I can decipher: (a) those racists can't help being racists, (b) they were racist when they were first hired and there is perhaps some correlation between their marketable abilities and disposition towards being racist (here, I think I'm actually building your argument for you), (c) it's not the job of a comedian to not be racist, and (d) they apologized. It falls short of defending racism, but just barely so, and does so on virtually no utilitarian basis. You're advocating that corporate entities not make moral decisions, whether as arbiters of their commercial brand or of culture generally, because - and that's where the complete lack of premise comes in. No principle or norm is being violated whatsoever by ABC, and in fact they are upholding what we have been told are our market norms, and therefore no principle or norm is being upheld by disagreeing with them.

Other than respecting the sovereignty and sanctity of an apology by a person facing consequences for their apologized-for action, I cannot discern any real argument in your posts - which I why I initially just assumed you're a fan of the show. You've hedged your position against maintaining the quality of programming, in that the replacement show will be tepid and inferior, yet you yourself said that you do not watch the show. So, to this point, it seems that you're just trying to justify a knee-jerk reaction that you don't fully understand.

She should have just apologized and laid low till it blew over. It's really weird how the Drumpf cult loves to double down on stupid when they make a mistake, but I guess they take after thier daddy in that respect.
Yeah it's not surprising but disappointing. Definitely should have let it blow over and kept humble. When people go full Trump cultist it makes the previous (and imo important) argument moot.

The thing about a comment like that is yes, it's a mistake, but it strongly suggests an underlying belief of something much more. Having said that, she's a human and flawed like all of us, as far as I am concerned it's time to move on and let her live her life. I'm sure there will be people being dicks to her for years for this.

Yeaa, this is all just semantics, but i still disagree with the use of the word 'racist'. I don't believe it was a racist joke, or a racist statement.

I think there has to be some offense meant for something to be racist.
I viewed the joke as racially insensitive.
May seem like a small point to argue, but i think the word 'racist', whether for people, or to describe words/statements is way overused these days
Lol i care because it sometimes puts me in the unwanted position of having to defend a dumbass for just making a dumbass statement.
I prefer to save the racist label for actual racist people and statements.

Here is THE BOTTOM LINE.

Let's say that YOU have a political show like Bill Mahar does...

...would you say the N word again and again?

Of. Course. Not.

Bill slipped up, but hey...if he (or the hypothetical you) wants to keep saying in ON AIR...then goodbye job.

If you were in his position, you totally wouldn't fuck your livelihood.

You just wouldn't, unless you're fucking stupid.

You can say that it's not a racist thing to say, but guess what, it's different between friends or whatever as compared to A NATIONAL AUDIENCE...............

Feel me?

The thing about a comment like that is yes, it's a mistake, but it strongly suggests an underlying belief of something much more. Having said that, she's a human and flawed like all of us, as far as I am concerned it's time to move on and let her live her life. I'm sure there will be people being dicks to her for years for this.
Another thing is how Drumpf and the WH wont condemn her on this after he praised her before. I guess they don't want to alienate their base. A base that calls Michelle Obama a man or ape. A base that believes in pizzagate and secret Muslim potus. Saddest people ever.

There is no logical, ideological, or moral basis that I can ascribe to your position besides "whoa, whoa let's not be drastic here." Your "turn against the flow" hasn't been justified whatsoever: that's radical centrism.

You are of the mind that economic actors should be persuaded to accommodate, if not empower, racists because, from what I can decipher: (a) those racists can't help being racists, (b) they were racist when they were first hired and there is perhaps some correlation between their marketable abilities and disposition towards being racist (here, I think I'm actually building your argument for you), (c) it's not the job of a comedian to not be racist, and (d) they apologized. It falls short of defending racism, but just barely so, and does so on virtually no utilitarian basis. You're advocating that corporate entities not make moral decisions, whether as arbiters of their commercial brand or of culture generally, because - and that's where the complete lack of premise comes in. No principle or norm is being violated whatsoever by ABC, and in fact they are upholding what we have been told are our market norms, and therefore no principle or norm is being upheld by disagreeing with them.

Other than respecting the sovereignty and sanctity of an apology by a person facing consequences for their apologized-for action, I cannot discern any real argument in your posts - which I why I initially just assumed you're a fan of the show. You've hedged your position against maintaining the quality of programming, in that the replacement show will be tepid and inferior, yet you yourself said that you do not watch the show. So, to this point, it seems that you're just trying to justify a knee-jerk reaction that you don't fully understand.
Oh man. The racist has you so shook up that you're wallpapering ABC with sanctity like Vegas whore flyers. What a time to be alive. You've turned out to be pretty treacherous, haven't you. Another one hellbent on eating his own, over very little. Try to eat me, you'll get the worst shits you ever had.

Fuck Disney, don't care. Fuck the church of the good word of the minute. Fuck the hair trigger, sprung on every misstep. Fuck the rolling stone of moral justice, gathering no wisdom or caution.

And yes, let's not be drastic here. We've tightened our internet justice cycle to less than 24 hours- seized, judged, and shot in the back of the head. Fuck that too. Let it breathe. Let it reflect.

You're so goddamn interested in categorizing anything I might say against the good word. You have no curiosity. I am the enemy, and that is what matters to you in this moment.

A radical centrist, because I say be cautious and don't immediately cancel the show. A radical centrist, because I think people should consider the role of comedians in the culture. A radical centrist, because the replacement for the show is probably going to be just another boring unoffensive sitcom. A radical centrist because I'm saying to calm down and think about this, and acquit ourselves of our fury.

I haven't installed the program. I believe in most of things people outraged about this believe in. But I didn't get that metoo firmware upgrade. I said to forgive the trespassers and pick up the pieces, and I was called a sexual assault apologist. This is turning out the same fuckin' way, and I don't accept it.

I have all the same worries about white nationalism, but I have a slightly different prescription- that we at least temper our "gotcha" reflex. That's all. That we consider our power and use it sparingly and effectively. We're winning the argument on every front except the voting booth, and we're going to win that one too. Let's not scorch the Earth in the process.

When the comic is subject to the same standards as any other job, fuck comedy. That's a canary in the coal mine. Absolutely. At least you're not arguing that it wasn't a joke. Jesus Christ.

Yes, they knew Roseanne was a Trumpy headcase when they hired her. I bet they spent a hell of a lot more time and care building the new show with that in mind than they did pulling the plug when the inevitable happened.

I don't know whether Roseanne can help being racist or making racist jokes. I certainly don't want her to stop making racist jokes. Not her, or Chris Rock- even though his racist jokes recently were garbage and offensive- or anyone else. The higher we ratchet up this pressure on language and expression, the more relieving the good jokes will be. Unless we're going to be mobbed for them arbitrarily.

Of course it's not the job of the comedian not to be racist. Fuck that.

She did apologize, and we owed it a hearing, and for a few hours at least seemed to maintain her sanity about it. She went and fucked that up, but that's another chapter. She didn't have to fuck it up.

Who's next on the swarm's agenda, Trotsky? Chris Rock?

Then they came for the comics, and there was no one left to speak for me. LOL.

Back