• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Media Rumble Johnson in incredible shape 2 weeks out from fight

I mean yeah Rumble half a decade ago had his flaws, one would imagine those flaws would be even worse after that time off... Dude could legit come back sloppy looking ready for Bareknuckle or Chuck Liddell next, it's not off the table unless I learn he's been in the gym all the time through the last 5 years.. Which looking at pictures of him over those years, I don't think he has.

And that's not even mentioning his psychological weaknesses.. His motivation is also another factor putting doubt in my mind.

There are a lot of unknowns, but if Rumble comes in shape and without any weight cut issues, that's a good sign for him. There's not much else we can go on right now. It's also worth noting that Yoel is 43, and lost like 4 of his last 5 fights in the UFC...though many of those were close decisions. At some point, Yoel will start showing his age, though. And the only time Yoel was KO'd was at LHW against another big dude who hit hard.

I got Romero. He can take punishment and head into deep waters. How good could a 37 year old rumbles cardio be after he just lost at least 70 pounds for this fights. His cardio is going to suck big time.

Some time away from active competition may be just what he needed. Looks great. Trained for fun and no fight obligations for awhile and now has that fire again. See how the legendary chin of Romero stands up to the legendary power for Rumble.

There are a lot of unknowns, but if Rumble comes in shape and without any weight cut issues, that's a good sign for him. There's not much else we can go on right now. It's also worth noting that Yoel is 43, and lost like 4 of his last 5 fights in the UFC...though many of those were close decisions. At some point, Yoel will start showing his age, though. And the only time Yoel was KO'd was at LHW against another big dude who hit hard.

It's all true, but I think Yoel fighting people like Adesanya and Whittaker in the last 2/3 years is infinitely more promising for your chances than Sumo Super HW Rumble sitting out getting stoned and not training for half a decade because he doesn't like fighting..
Whens the last time a fighter not named GSP had such a long layoff and came back looking as good as they were? Yoel Romero despite having a shit fight against Izzy, still in many ways did better than many of Izzy's other opponents, I don't believe he was washed then so it's not hard to believe he wouldn't be now, as it wasn't that long ago and he didn't take a ton of damage.

Is it even certain AJ hits hard still? I don't know.

I think he got the toughest stylistic match up for him right out of the gate. Hope he gets the win

I don't know. Romero may have a great wrestling background, but he barely uses it. His striking skills aren't that technical...he's just dangerous because he waits for chances to explode with a superman punch, flying knee, etc. Better strikers like Whittaker and Izzy managed to avoid getting KO'd by him. I'm not sure how Yoel's approach will work against a guy who's 4 inches taller, has a 5 inch reach advantage and is (or at least was) a skilled striker. Rumble has never been KO'd either.

I don't know. Romero may have a great wrestling background, but he barely uses it. His striking skills aren't that technical...he's just dangerous because he waits for chances to explode with a superman punch, flying knee, etc. Better strikers like Whittaker and Izzy managed to avoid getting KO'd by him. I'm not sure how Yoel's approach will work against a guy who's 4 inches taller, has a 5 inch reach advantage and is (or at least was) a skilled striker. Rumble has never been KO'd either.
Last time he fought someone that much taller he kissed them after this
_fyIUE.gif

It's all true, but I think Yoel fighting people like Adesanya and Whittaker in the last 2/3 years is infinitely more promising for your chances than Sumo Super HW Rumble sitting out getting stoned and not training for half a decade because he doesn't like fighting..
Whens the last time a fighter not named GSP had such a long layoff and came back looking as good as they were? Yoel Romero despite having a shit fight against Izzy, still in many ways did better than many of Izzy's other opponents, I don't believe he was washed then so it's not hard to believe he wouldn't be now, as it wasn't that long ago and he didn't take a ton of damage.

Is it even certain AJ hits hard still? I don't know.

Yes, lots of unkowns for sure. The layoff (and how much training Rumble has done in the last 6+ months) is a huge issue. He's obviously done some good conditioning. But I'd definitely pick the LHW Rumble from about 5 years ago over Yoel. He beat every grappler he fought at LHW (Davis, Bader, Glover) whose name wasn't Cormier. He is (or at least was) a much better version of the Calvacante (even the roided one) who KO'd Yoel in Strikeforce.

Yes, lots of unkowns for sure. The layoff (and how much training Rumble has done in the last 6+ months) is a huge issue. He's obviously done some good conditioning. But I'd definitely pick the LHW Rumble from about 5 years ago over Yoel. He beat every grappler he fought at LHW (Davis, Bader, Glover) whose name wasn't Cormier. He is (or at least was) a much better version of the Calvacante (even the roided one) who KO'd Yoel in Strikeforce.
Wouldn't be surprised either back then, but fighters change on a more frequent basis than every half decade, also the game itself has changed there are new elements to MMA that Rumble is completely inexperienced with dealing with.... I have no reason to believe Rumble is half the fighter he was.
Though if he pulls it off, all credit to him!

Reactions: mkt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arsalaanx
Back