Rumino Sato - how good was he?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Remember that blonde dude that pulled that crazy flying armbar in years ago?

Alls I know - that shoot in/ankle pick, is a thing of beauty.

Well, he was the first guy in the proto-modern MMA scene to consistently submit BJJ black belts.

Interesting timing. This really dope highlight of him from Saturday just popped up on my youube

edit: I want to say he was really fucking good. There used to be this youtube grappling highlight with him, Genki Sudo, Shinya Aoki, and Takanori Gomi. I always thought those 4 were killers. All very creative too. That flying armbar Sato hit is my favorite flying armbar. On this highlight the sub he did at 0:30. I always wondered what that sub targeted.

Interesting timing. This really dope highlight of him from Saturday just popped up on my youube

edit: I want to say he was really fucking good. There used to be this youtube grappling highlight with him, Genki Sudo, Shinya Aoki, and Takanori Gomi. I always thought those 4 were killers. All very creative too. That flying armbar Sato hit is my favorite flying armbar. On this highlight the sub he did at 0:30. I always wondered what that sub targeted.

Wrist lock.

The Moon Wolf was awesome.
Was he a Judoka, or pro wrestling?
I believe he did train in the old Japanese Shooto pro wrestling style dojos. He went right into MMA and had a lot of crazy finishes. He finished his debut fight with a calf slicer. I don't think he ever did Judo and I think he is either a purple or brown belt in BJJ

Wrist lock.
Throwing you a like for checking it out and replying. I thought wrist lock too but if you watch the actual match the guy is holding his chest/shoulder afterwards like it cranked that too?

it sort of remind me of this Rafa Mendes shoulder lock from a similar position maybe?

Throwing you a like for checking it out and replying. I thought wrist lock too but if you watch the actual match the guy is holding his chest/shoulder afterwards like it cranked that too?

it sort of remind me of this Rafa Mendes shoulder lock from a similar position maybe?

It was a double wrist lock.

The catch fanboys aren’t just spewing pure hype. If you do a “kimura” the way that some catch guys teach it, it’s a compound attack that is a wrist lock, elbow lock, and shoulder lock at the same time. Depending on how they defend and where they’re flexible different arm parts will fail first. In this case the way the guy defended transferred the force into the shoulder.

The grip is harder to get than the kimura as typically taught in BJJ but it’s an even more devastating submission. Plus, if they fight out of the special grip, you’re basically just in a regular kimura so no real loss.

I go for it that way every time if I intend to try to finish the submission instead of using it as a back take/sweep/pass hold. Funny thing is that Rafa has started to use a similar grip in a lot of his kimura videos.

It *is* mechanically similar to the armlock you showed Rafa using from ura sankaku/rear triangle. You just add a wrist lock on top of it.

The catch fanboys aren’t just spewing pure hype. If you do a “kimura” the way that some catch guys teach it, it’s a compound attack that is a wrist lock, elbow lock, and shoulder lock at the same time. Depending on how they defend and where they’re flexible different arm parts will fail first. In this case the way the guy defended transferred the force into the shoulder.

The grip is harder to get than the kimura as typically taught in BJJ but it’s an even more devastating submission. Plus, if they fight out of the special grip, you’re basically just in a regular kimura so no real loss.

I go for it that way every time if I intend to try to finish the submission instead of using it as a back take/sweep/pass hold. Funny thing is that Rafa has started to use a similar grip in a lot of his kimura videos.

It *is* mechanically similar to the armlock you showed Rafa using from ura sankaku/rear triangle. You just add a wrist lock on top of it.
Great info thx !

Rumina Sato was great, but his kill or be killed style did give him some defensive lapses. That being said, as others pointed out, he did submit BJJ black belts with regularity, and has probably the greatest submission in MMA of all time.

rumino-sato-flyingarmbar.gif

Watching guys like Sato and Sudo in those combat/sub wrestling matches is really a pleasure. They execute with such mastery!

What caught my attention was how he absolutely handled Imanari - easily escaping footlocks and sonning him with takedowns and backmount.

Can you link a video of Rafa doing/teaching it? I look through some recent kimura videos on AOJ and couldn't find him using a non-standard kimura grip :-(

Not sure if this is the double wrist lock technique in question.

What's Sato doing now and why haven't I seen him on Quintet?

Call whatever you want, age or increasing grappling level, but he got subbed in the blue belt division of the All Japan BJJ Championships in 2012.

Call whatever you want, age or increasing grappling level, but he got subbed in the blue belt division of the All Japan BJJ Championships in 2012.
That was in gi, which I don't think he really trained much before.

About tree-fitty.

Back