Running Vs More Training For Cardio

A.S. Deep

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
EDIT: THERE ARE TWO OF THESE THREADS SINCE THE OTHER WAS MOVED. SORRY ABOUT THAT.

Road work (basic running) is popular in boxing for increasing stamina and seems like the obvious way one would condition themselves, but from getting input from pro fighters it seems many prefer to simply train longer instead. As in they train BJJ for 3 hours instead of two, since doing so would build stamina specific for BJJ versus just running. This makes sense to me, as I learned while boxing that running doesn't translate perfectly to the conditioning required for boxing.

So then, besides simple warm ups, is there even a point in running when it comes to combat training?

Last edited:
I almost never ran. But whenever I'd run for a few months, or even as little as a few weeks consistently. My condition always improves. So.....

I now run once a week for 5 miles. And do a MURPH once a week. (Google it)

These 2 things I do on the days I don't go to the gym to train have exponentially improved my cardio and muscular endurance.

I highly suggest reading the FAQs.

You get different things out of different methods of training. Running or other activities for long distances will have benefits that just getting on the mats and training won't, but which will enhance your fitness/conditioning on the mats.

Back