• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

International Russia/Ukraine Megathread V7

Status
Not open for further replies.

First it was the hobby-drones with digital cameras glued inside, now this.

When I was in elementary school, I remember family being super concerned about the Waco massacre, though they were on the side of the hogs since they didn't go in for fake Christs or pedophiles. I remember one of them telling me that Jesus had remote controlled toy airplanes with C4 he could fly into the cops and blow up. That was a long time ago. Russia just bringing that same level of energy.

Putins smart trying to escalate the Taiwan situation.
Putin now is most likely making some deals with North Korea and Iran btw....
___
If a lot of posters were concerned about Taiwan....
South Korea is 2nd largest chips producer in world....and trey produce a lot of other stuff.
South Korea's economy is a bit larger than Russia's...
Not alone to compare it with Ukraine......
& So possible war odour will create changes in speculative markets.

Russia as commodities and precious metals & weapons seller always benefits from tensions wars somewhere or at least direct threats...
---

Next stuff is that looks ...russia is lurking how to get Lukashenko involved in war.
Luka during last years is more and more paranoid that west might attack him...
For Kremlon this is honey and champaign; they need just to get Luka more crazy than he now is...

In Crimea they just dont get that smoking is strictly forbidden! again more than 100 miles from the front

What the heck kind of cigarettes are they smoking over there!?! :)

What the heck kind of cigarettes are they smoking over there!?! :)
m4blwus4sbh91.jpg

But likely SOF units.

how the fuck do you make out transport helicopters? Must look vastly different on pc. All I see is tiny pixel helicopters lol

Also the Mi-8 is also used as an airborne command post, armed gunship, and reconnaissance platform. Not just transport.

Don't know why you're so hung up on me being " dubious ". You expect me to believe all Ukrainians or something?

I trust Ukrainian sources as much as Russian.
I trust Russian media as much as I trust western. ( not that I can read Russian or follow any of their news ) so western media gets my focus.

forgive me for being dubious about information in a warzone being possible propaganda.

Considering the original claims were that they'd lost Ilyushin Il-76 full of paratroopers not just helicopters I'm still dubious about all claims made until weeks afterwards because so much shit has been misreported and actively used for propaganda. Even weeks afterwards its still a shit show.

Originally the claim in here was the mod confirmed a iIlyushin Il-76 full of paratroopers was shot down . ( never happened ) we've turned it into helicopters.

You asked why I was dubious. I answered shrug. What more do you want?

Honestly, equating Western media with Russian isn't reasonable. While Russian media has got SOME leeway in what they can say, they are not allowed to report anything that seriously goes against the wishes of the regime.

In Western media, you can easily find a diversity of viewpoints on the conflict if you bother to look beyond the first page of msn.

Not only that, but with a bit of effort, you can find deep analysis by really knowledgeable experts in the field. www.warontherocks.com has got amazing coverage, for instance. However, while it is completely free, it does require you to read very long articles (often thousands of words) or listen to hour-long discussions on their podcasts. That's because the situation is complex and so is expert knowledge.

Last edited:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/08/12/ukraine-kherson-battle/

Lacking the basic artillery and armored vehicles needed to progress, Ukraine has focused on operations far behind the front lines. That includes a mysterious attack earlier this week on a Russian air base in Crimea, a major supply hub for Russian operations in Kherson previously assumed to be out of its enemy’s reach.

The progress Ukrainian forces had made here in recent months — recapturing a string of villages from Russia’s control — has largely stalled, with soldiers exposed in the open terrain.

The roads that soldiers zip along among the scorched wheat fields at the front lines are pockmarked with craters from previous strikes, guided by Russia’s Orlan drones that allow them to pick and choose targets.

“There is nowhere to hide,” said Yuri, who has fought here without a break since the beginning of the war, and like other soldiers did not give his last name, in line with protocol. His unit has a hodgepodge stock: modern antitank weapons and a Soviet machine gun manufactured in 1944, and the focus here is holding the line.

Ukrainian military officials are tight-lipped on any timeline for a wider push, but say they need more supplies of Western weapons before one can happen. Ukraine lacks the capacity to launch a full-scale offensive anywhere along the 1,200-mile front line, one security official conceded.

Although Ukraine has enough manpower to launch a push, Sak said that without more sophisticated weaponry there is a risk of sending troops needlessly to their deaths in an offensive with marginal chances of success.

Some Ukrainian military units are already paying a price. For nearly six months, Ukraine’s 28th Mechanized Brigade has fought along the southern front, stopping a lightning advance by Russian forces outside the city of Mykolaiv.

The unit’s battle-hardened fighters continue to claw back territory as they inch closer to Kherson. Despite being some of the best equipped and most professionally trained units on the front lines, withering Russian artillery strikes across the open steppe have maimed and killed many of their fighters.

In late July, the 28th Mechanized Brigade’s commander, Vitalii Huliaiev, was killed in action and his fellow soldiers intend to avenge his death.

“We will get to Kherson,” said a battalion commander for the unit who goes by the call sign Zloi, which translates as Angry or Mean. “We will have our revenge.”

This seems to confirm that the Ukes don't have the capability to mount a serious offensive in the south at this point. They talk about needing more heavy equipment and vehicles, but can a surplus of these even be generated and delivered to the area faster than they are destroyed?

Western media works ok for the stuff they do report.Problem is they ignore a lot of stuff that puts ukr in bad light.
Didnt see anything about ukr shelling donetsk with no care about civvi casualties for last 2 months

If i write donetsk shelling on google in english i get news about rus shelling some ukr position in donbas front.

If i write same in russian i get vids of donetsk city being shelled, last 3 days ago

Buut media be media so wtf

Last edited:
Our government figured out another way how to dunk on local Russians.

Now those russians who are allowed to extend their residency permits (relatives of Latvian citizens and Russian students) will be required to pass an exam of fluency in Latvian language in order to get it and be able to stay here further.

https://eng.lsm.lv/article/politics...ce-permits-renewed-on-rare-occasions.a469518/
this doesn't sound unreasonable.
unless it's - oh, you don't sound like the most proficient person in latvia, therefore you cannot stay.

this doesn't sound unreasonable.

The unreasonable part is that Russian is the only nationality on the planet that this new law applies to.

For others language knowledge is mandatory only if they wish to apply for our citizenship, Russians have to do it just to not get punted across the border.

Western media works ok for the stuff they do report.Problem is they ignore a lot of stuff that puts ukr in bad light.
Didnt see anything about ukr shelling donetsk with no care about civvi casualties for last 2 months

If i write donetsk shelling on google in english i get news about rus shelling some ukr position in donbas front.

If i write same in russian i get vids of donetsk city being shelled, last 3 days ago

Buut media be media so wtf

Well, let’s assume they are shelling Donetsk now and have been for the past months. It’s not like this mattered to the west in the past 8 years. Why should it matter now?

The unreasonable part is that Russian is the only nationality on the planet that this new law applies to.

For others language knowledge is mandatory only if they wish to apply for our citizenship, Russians have to do it just to not get punted across the border.
ah, i thought it's a general rule for everybody.
no disrespect, but this is just idiotic. it's childish shit.

Well, let’s assume they are shelling Donetsk now and have been for the past months. It’s not like this mattered to the west in the past 8 years. Why should it matter now?

Probably because anyone with eyeballs that connect to their brain understood that Ukraine was fighting insurgents armed and supplied by Russia in Donetsk and they were in their right to fight back especially since Russia also stole part of their country.

Status
Not open for further replies.