Russians Win Purse Bid for Povetkin vs Wilder

Ryabinsky, Povetkin's promoter, bid $7.15 million while attorney Alex Dombroff, representing promoter Lou DiBella, who works with Wilder, offered $5,101.000.42.

Promoters of titleholders typically are at a significant advantage because their side is entitled to 70 percent of the money, but Ryabinsky won and now can force Wilder to travel to Russia for the fight.

DiBella said that contrary to rumors circulating, Wilder is not going to give up his title and will fight wherever Ryabinsky decides to stage the bout, though there is a chance he will elect to have the fight in the United States.

"We're very happy to fight for 70 percent of 7.15 million on our side," DiBella told ESPN. "There was never any chance that Deontay was going to vacate his title. The fight is happening. If they put the fight in Russia, then I hope [Russian President Vladimir] Putin can personally attend so he can watch 'Sasha' get knocked out."

Ryabinsky has 90 days to put on the bout and has until March 11 to inform the WBC and Wilder's camp of the date and site of the fight. Signed contracts must be returned to the WBC by March 17.

Had DiBella won the purse bid, the fight was going to be May 21 on Showtime and likely at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Under a new rule announced by the WBC just hours before the purse bid took place, it said that rather than a 70-30 split of the total bid in favor of the titleholder, 10 percent of the winning bid will be put in escrow and paid as a bonus to the winner of the bout with the rest of the bid total being split 70-30.

That means 10 percent of the winning bid -- $715,000 -- will go into escrow, with Wilder entitled to at least $4,504,500, by far a career-high payday, and Povetkin getting at least $1,930,500.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/i...e-bid-deontay-wilder-alexander-povetkin-fight

That is an extremely nice purse for Wilder. Would ensure his family enough money to deal with his daughters disease for the rest of her life pretty much, if they are smart. In addition to all his past winnings, in addition to being able to get at least a couple big money fights, if he were to lose and net a few more million from those.

I hope the young gun does it and baptizes that Russian

What a joke, champion goes to the challengers country , u.s fight will pull in more viewers more interest exactly what the heavyweight division needs , not some corrupt fight in Russia

IMO this is about corrupt judging and officiating concerns, the Russians basically feel like they bought the title because they will do everything to stack the deck in their favor. They could stage this in Germany and make money too, but that might be too neutral of a site. Wilder is going to need a KO to keep his title.

IMO this is about corrupt judging and officiating concerns, the Russians basically feel like they bought the title because they will do everything to stack the deck in their favor. They could stage this in Germany and make money too, but that might be too neutral of a site. Wilder is going to need a KO to keep his title.
Not necessarily. Wlad fought Povetkin in Russia and won a UD.

Wilder just has to leave absolutely no doubt, be it by KO or wide on points.

Talk about the delusion of holding an alphabet belt. Wilder is now "The Champ" who needs to have all of his demands met or he should walk. Never mind the fact that he never beat Klitshko or fury who everyone knows is the real champ/. And Povetkin, who has a gold medal and a half dozen wins that are better than anything Wilder has done. is now some inferior challenger because wilder won an alphabet belt the only time he fought a guy in the top 20--a guy that Povetkin could have easily beat at the same time.

It's not like if he vacates he'll have an easy trinket to pick up ....
if Joshua beats Martin , he won't be going to the state to fight a beltless Wilder . Fury is the biggest name at heavyweight right now , so Wilder will have to come to the uk to fight him .
The povetkin fight is a career high payday too.

I still think Povetkin beats Wilder, but its BS when a champion is forced to travel to another country like Russia or Germany due to a purse bid. A lot of times, the entire deck is stacked against you in these situations not to mention some funny things seem to happen overseas. Champion should get to defend his title at home or where he chooses. That doesn't mean against who he chooses though. I can see an optional defense, but from there it should be all top level contenders.

What a joke, champion goes to the challengers country , u.s fight will pull in more viewers more interest exactly what the heavyweight division needs , not some corrupt fight in Russia

Russia is not much different to anywhere else where the home fighter is favoured by the judges etc. Sven Otke had numerous dodgy decisions in Germany. I've seen some shockers over here when and Khan vs Peterson was an absolute fcking farce. He lost the purse so shoudl fight over there. He's literally beaten no one and he is not Wlad, so he can't pick and choose where he fights. He;s the champ, this is a mandatory, and the russians won the purse. It will say alot about the confidence his team actually have in him if he doesn't fight. It will be a disgrace in all honesty

This fight does not happen. Povetkin is better than Wilder at this point.

I still think Povetkin beats Wilder, but its BS when a champion is forced to travel to another country like Russia or Germany due to a purse bid. A lot of times, the entire deck is stacked against you in these situations not to mention some funny things seem to happen overseas. Champion should get to defend his title at home or where he chooses. That doesn't mean against who he chooses though. I can see an optional defense, but from there it should be all top level contenders.

But that works both ways surely. If the champ is disadvantaged by fighting abroad and its unfair for him to have to deal with other 'distractions', why is it ok for the challenger to have to deal with the same. Wlad used to do this all the time and there were all sorts of issues before the Fury fight; gloves, the ring being like a judo mat etc. If the russians are prepared to pay more money for the fight then it is what it is. A real champ will go and defend his title at home, abroad, wherever. Not cry off because its not infront of his fans and he can't get any 'hometown advantage'. He has reach power and a very good jab. He can win this fight. Lets just hope it happens

It's not like if he vacates he'll have an easy trinket to pick up ....
if Joshua beats Martin , he won't be going to the state to fight a beltless Wilder . Fury is the biggest name at heavyweight right now , so Wilder will have to come to the uk to fight him .
The povetkin fight is a career high payday too.
This, WIlder can't get many big money fights in the US, if he has the belt he could get a a fight with Haye, without the belt he won't get a big fight on American soil.

This is true .The Champion should always call the shots to where the fight takes place ,regardless if you think Povetkin is better hes not the Champion .Nonsense to dispute that!

This is true .The Champion should always call the shots to where the fight takes place ,regardless if you think Povetkin is better hes not the Champion .Nonsense to dispute that!

I don't agree at all.

The championship entitles him to a HUGE monetary advantage for fighting and that should be enough. The fact someone in another country bid more then 2 million above what anyone else bid means he gets the vast majority of all that extra money. It's up to him and his team to avoid any funny business by pushing issues like who judges and who refs the fight. That's boxing. A belt does not and should not entitle you to every possible advantage imaginable. You get the bulk of the money and that is enough.

I don't agree at all.

The championship entitles him to a HUGE monetary advantage for fighting and that should be enough. The fact someone in another country bid more then 2 million above what anyone else bid means he gets the vast majority of all that extra money. It's up to him and his team to avoid any funny business by pushing issues like who judges and who refs the fight. That's boxing. A belt does not and should not entitle you to every possible advantage imaginable. You get the bulk of the money and that is enough.
True enough.

That said, that doesn't really mean Wilder HAS to take he fight, obviously. If I were a promoter and my guy was on the edge of stardom like Wilder, I'm not sure I'd send him to fight on the other side of the world in some guy's backyard.

When I heard Povetkin's side won the purse bid, I was disappointed. I think its a stumbling block to making the fight.

Maybe they'll surprise us and offer the fight somewhere neutral.

I disagree to some extent. I agree that fishy territories with reputations for bad commissions, biased judges, and bad refs should be avoided, but it's a WORLD championship. We've seen plenty of fighters be road warriors and fight anywhere and everywhere, regardless of if they are "the man" or not. Plenty of non-american fighters fight in America; what makes the US so special that others have to come to it? Look at Eder Jofre, Azumah Nelson, Roman Gonzalez, and Carlos Ortiz, they fought so many of their opponents in their opponents home countries and they still came out on top, that's what a true champion does IMO. That's not to diminish Wilder, and I totally understand and respect his desire to fight in the US, but I think fighters, in general (and this also applies to foreign fighters who fight exclusively in their home countries), should be more willing to give it a go in the rest of the world.

Not only that, but many of the divisions aren't even US-dominated. Heavyweight and Crusierweight are largely centered in Europe. SMW has historically been a very british division. The lower weight classes are largely centered around Latin America, Southeast Asia, Japan, and Africa.

True enough.

That said, that doesn't really mean Wilder HAS to take he fight, obviously. If I were a promoter and my guy was on the edge of stardom like Wilder, I'm not sure I'd send him to fight on the other side of the world in some guy's backyard.

When I heard Povetkin's side won the purse bid, I was disappointed. I think its a stumbling block to making the fight.

Maybe they'll surprise us and offer the fight somewhere neutral.

Nobody can force Wilder to do anything. That said, if he doesn't make the fight, he'll lose his belt, which will strip him of a lot of the leverage he has otherwise.

I know Wilder isn't afraid of anyone, dude's a badass, and he probably only has concerns about shitty judges/refs, but this is a fight he has to make if he wants to keep his belt, which is a big source of his leverage in negotiations with Fury, Joshua and many others.

It's kind of a shitty situation, but he has to give something here, wether it be money or where the fight is being held.

I don't agree at all.

If one wants to be champ you have to defeat the champ...its not realistic at all puuting purse bids over one who holds the actual belt.

If one wants to be champ you have to defeat the champ...its not realistic at all puuting purse bids over one who holds the actual belt.

Nope, the champ gets 70% of the purse and that is enough of an advantage already. Especially in an era where there can be 3 or more "legitimate champions" in any given weight division.

According to his promoters/handlers the "champ" is happy about the huge purse bid and will go fight wherever they tell him to go fight because the money is there. So if he's happy about it why would any of you guys complain?

It will be his toughest test by far regardless of where it happens. He could easily lose to this guy so the risk is already there no matter what. Having an extra 1.4 million dollars in the bank win or lose is pretty significant.

Nope, the champ gets 70% of the purse and that is enough of an advantage already. Especially in an era where there can be 3 or more "legitimate champions" in any given weight division.

According to his promoters/handlers the "champ" is happy about the huge purse bid and will go fight wherever they tell him to go fight because the money is there. So if he's happy about it why would any of you guys complain?

It will be his toughest test by far regardless of where it happens. He could easily lose to this guy so the risk is already there no matter what. Having an extra 1.4 million dollars in the bank win or lose is pretty significant.
1.4 mill is nothing really to him.i highly doubt Fury will be fighting in Wlads backyard do you?

Also how and why would getting paid more money be an advantage in the actual fight? Makes no sense.....and is irrelevant to why and how in ones home country can effect fight.

Back