International Rwandan genocide: 25 years later (today)

Sous-la-pluie

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Twenty-five years later [7th of April]: any thoughts from those alive at the time or involved?

". . . the dominant Hutus of Rwanda turned with well-planned violence on the Tutsi minority. . . 100 days later . . . the death toll stood at as many as one million" (Cowell, 2019).

People butchered other people within the same village because of their ethnicity. The insane thing is that many butchers today live in villages with victims or victim relatives.

IIRC there has been a huge restorative justice undertaking focusing on establishing the truth, acknowledging what happened and who did it to whom. Therefore, traditional approaches targeted to bring perps to justice by accusing and sentencing them were not the focus. It may seem very odd from a Western perspective. But the scale of the atrocities was such that simply trying to put the perpetrators in front of a court would not have yielded positive results.

Can anyone say the word IGNORANT?

So much crazy about this. First that’s a crazy number of people killed in such a small time frame. With machetes mostly. Wow.

Second they started killing “because the radio told them to”. Just try imagine that. The vast low IQ of that. To hear something from a radio broadcast and then without any thought(I guess? How do 70IQ people think) and immediately start murdering.

What’s even crazier is the ignorance of everyone still living next to each other. They are TOLD to forgive, so they do. Boggles my mind. It’s not some high brow sense of Christian forgiveness. It’s just that they are simply told they are a better person if they just let it go.

Fuck that, you literally turn my family into salad, I’m coming for you.

Colonial tactics misleading people to turn against each other. Same thing that’s happening here now.

Colonial tactics misleading people to turn against each other. Same thing that’s happening here now.
Tale as old as time tbh
People peacefully coexisting in abundance and prosperity, then colonial tactics of bringing hospitals, schools and roads ruin yet another African paradise.
Sad.

Last edited:
Can anyone say the word IGNORANT?

So much crazy about this. First that’s a crazy number of people killed in such a small time frame. With machetes mostly. Wow.

Second they started killing “because the radio told them to”. Just try imagine that. The vast low IQ of that. To hear something from a radio broadcast and then without any thought(I guess? How do 70IQ people think) and immediately start murdering.

What’s even crazier is the ignorance of everyone still living next to each other. They are TOLD to forgive, so they do. Boggles my mind. It’s not some high brow sense of Christian forgiveness. It’s just that they are simply told they are a better person if they just let it go.

Fuck that, you literally turn my family into salad, I’m coming for you.
You're far too human. I would say a relic. You are the middle, not the final product.

Last edited:
i was in high school, and had so little knowledge of the world, there's nothing sophisticated i could say about my knowledge of it back then.

it think it was actually the genesis of asking questions and learning about how the world works for me, because i wondered "this is wrong, why couldn't those people be saved?" and started to look for the reasons.

We should have intervened. We also should've stopped Indonesia from slaughtering people in East Timor.

But, no interests for capital.

We should have intervened. We also should've stopped Indonesia from slaughtering people in East Timor.

in truth, the calculation for this was creepy and not Clinton's fault, though as head of state he should take the blame. This is ultra complicated human stuff that has been going on for 200k years (180k if you look at bones, but who are we kidding, that last bone ain't the last). Point is, human tragedy is a product of circumstance. The circumstances of Rwanda were ripe for a holocaust, and human beings in droves with little to lose do ruinous things. Period.

Horseshit. Before colonialism, they had a history of hatred against each other and the Rwanda genocide may have never happen if it wasnt for the 1959 Hutu revolution. Even Ugandan scholar Mahmood Mamdani stated that there is clear historical evidence that both tribes have had a history of conflict going back over 1000 years and that the notion that it was the colonialists that "created" the difference is nonsense and there is even DNA evidence showing that.

Both the Y-DNA and Autosomal DNA show that they are two different people's.
"Trombetta et al. (2015) found 22.2% of E1b1b in a small sample of Tutsis from Burundi, but no bearers of the haplogroup among the local Hutu and Twa populations.[6] The subclade was of the M293 variety, which suggests that the ancestors of Tutsis in this area may have assimilated some South Cushitic pastoralists"

Even the history of Burundi shows this as the kingdom of Burundi was led by a Tutsi king from 1680 to beyond colonization.

Tale as old as time tbh
People peacefully coexisting in abundance and prosperity, then colonial tactics of bringing hospitals, schools and roads ruin yet another African paradise.
Sad.
Read about King Leopold and the horrors he brought to the Congo.

Last edited:

But then they would have chocolate rivers and unicorns before we came
Nope
Sit them out unless we have an interest
Who was the good guy we should have backed?

People butchered other people within the same village because of their ethnicity. The insane thing is that many butchers today live in villages with victims or victim relatives.

IIRC there has been a huge restorative justice undertaking focusing on establishing the truth, acknowledging what happened and who did it to whom. Therefore, traditional approaches targeted to bring perps to justice by accusing and sentencing them were not the focus. It may seem very odd from a Western perspective. But the scale of the atrocities was such that simply trying to put the perpetrators in front of a court would not have yielded positive results.
I had a mate who went to Africa and explained this to me. It boggled my mind cos she told me a horrific story about a woman who was slashed up and raped by men but forgave her attackers once they confessed. They all live near each other still

Just started watching. He is making some serious accusations against France.

No doubt there were a few wrong things to do, they should not have done them.
I think the deaths of 10 million people in the Congo goes a little beyond wrong.

Failure to meet the rubber collection quotas was punishable by death. Meanwhile, the Force Publique (the gendarmerie / military force) were required to provide the hand of their victims as proof when they had shot and killed someone, as it was believed that they would otherwise use the munitions (imported from Europe at considerable cost) for hunting. As a consequence, the rubber quotas were in part paid off in chopped-off hands. Sometimes the hands were collected by the soldiers of the Force Publique, sometimes by the villages themselves. There were even small wars where villages attacked neighboring villages to gather hands, since their rubber quotas were too unrealistic to fill.
https://dirkdeklein.net/2017/05/29/the-forgotten-genocide-belgian-congo/

Last edited:

Sadly this is true.... I’m not for policing the earth, but what went down in Rhawanda was a nightmare.

Paul Kagame is still in power after all these years. He stopped the genocide and has improve Rwanda's economy but the 2 wars he started in Congo killed around 6 million people.

Back