Ryron Gracie reveals strategy used against Galvao

This is sherdog so I know it's "cool" to hate on the Gracies. But let me look at it from a different perspective...

What Ryron did was basically rope a dope galvao. Let the stronger guy sort of gas himself out and play a lot of defense. When you think his gas tank is low enough, you turn the tide and you attack him. This is what he tried to do. Since the rules had no points, he could execute this strategy and not worry about losing the match. Of course galvao could have subbed him but Ryron is also pretty good at Bjj so he was able to defend. I'm not exactly equating the two people but I remember my dad telling me about watching Ali v foreman and people were howling about how bad Ali was getting his ass kicked as the rounds go on. When Ali turned the tide and knocked him out, it was unbelievable.

Ryron did not execute the strategy as excellently so the fight was a draw but I see what he was trying to do. Do I think Ryron is better than galvao? No. For the record I thought before and still think that Andre's Bjj is better. But that only enhances the fact that he came up with a gameplan that gave him a chance to win the match when EVERYONE on here thought galvao would walk through him.

For me, Galvao is not diminished in my book but Ryron should get a lot of props for doing what he did. Here it's all hate on Ryron which sucks

I'm not ashamed to say that the reason I train Bjj today is because of what I saw Royce do in UFC 1. Maybe that's why I respect the Gracie's so much and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Haters....gonna hate.

Correct.

quote-denial-ain-t-just-a-river-in-egypt-mark-twain-187928.jpg

This is sherdog so I know it's "cool" to hate on the Gracies. But let me look at it from a different perspective...

What Ryron did was basically rope a dope galvao. Let the stronger guy sort of gas himself out and play a lot of defense. When you think his gas tank is low enough, you turn the tide and you attack him. This is what he tried to do. Since the rules had no points, he could execute this strategy and not worry about losing the match. Of course galvao could have subbed him but Ryron is also pretty good at Bjj so he was able to defend. I'm not exactly equating the two people but I remember my dad telling me about watching Ali v foreman and people were howling about how bad Ali was getting his ass kicked as the rounds go on. When Ali turned the tide and knocked him out, it was unbelievable.

Ryron did not execute the strategy as excellently so the fight was a draw but I see what he was trying to do. Do I think Ryron is better than galvao? No. For the record I thought before and still think that Andre's Bjj is better. But that only enhances the fact that he came up with a gameplan that gave him a chance to win the match when EVERYONE on here thought galvao would walk through him.

For me, Galvao is not diminished in my book but Ryron should get a lot of props for doing what he did. Here it's all hate on Ryron which sucks

I'm not ashamed to say that the reason I train Bjj today is because of what I saw Royce do in UFC 1. Maybe that's why I respect the Gracie's so much and give them the benefit of the doubt.

lol wow. its not trendy to hate the gracies. sherdoggers just understand their whole system is a marketing ploy.

Even Renzo agrees

I agree. It was a good strategy, but he wasn't successful with it. If he would have just maned up and accepted that he didn't win, I wouldn't have one bad thing to say about him in regards to that match. He could have owned the draw and let the match speak for itself, but instead he's been making a string of "but REALLY I KIND IF won" statements ever since. Kind of cheapens it.

I agree. It was a good strategy, but he wasn't successful with it. If he would have just maned up and accepted that he didn't win, I wouldn't have one bad thing to say about him in regards to that match. He could have owned the draw and let the match speak for itself, but instead he's been making a string of "but REALLY I KIND IF won" statements ever since. Kind of cheapens it.

Yea I hate how he's gone about the match.

If Galvao would have subbed him, I'm sure Ryron would have somehow found a way to salvage his losing situation by saying something like, "See here, in this position I was just trying to survive and tire him" Somehow insigating a moral victory...

I've got no problem with him using the rope-a-dope strategy. Its just that that strategy only works within the confines of the point system (no points its self a point system). So he used the rule set of a tournament to determine his strategy while competing in that tournament. Then he turns around and talks about how IBJJF competitors are only good within the rule set of their tournaments, and that he has street jiu jitsu.

I think he competed well and went in with a good strategy. I just don't like how they try to PR spin things and contradict themselves all over the place.

Dmesser2

Yeah I didn't mention that I do agree that there was a little too much "spin" from Ryron after the fight. He is in the pr biz for the family so some is acceptable but if you want to say he went overboard I would agree with you.

My primary point is that he should get more props than he did on that match if you just let is speak for itself. I think that we agree on

Ryron proved his point completely. For him, the fight was a success. If you disagree, then i really think you are missing something.

All black belt masters i know agree that andre didnt pose any threat, in any moment of the match. You may say that he "dominated" but thats only becausee you are thinking in terms of a point oriented mindset- in a match without any points!!!

There was not a single moment in the match where Andre could have gotten a submission., Not even close.Most agressive thing he did was work on a lapel for a couple seconds.

I could understand if Ryron had actually tried to win it at the end. In the Lovato match, he put up a hell of a fight, fighting every position even though Lovato was just dominating him. However, Lovato ended up gassing and despite being an extremely lopsided fight, Ryron choked him full unconscious.

This isn't how the Metamoris event went though, I saw Ryron fighting for a draw instead of fighting for the win like he did against Lovato.

Some people are so brainwashed they can't see the truth.

I don't hear anybody criticizing someone like Kron Gracie. He preaches classic self-defense bjj but he goes into every match looking for a submission. I really wished it was Kron fighting Galvao... it would have been a much much better match!

Ryron proved his point completely. For him, the fight was a success. If you disagree, then i really think you are missing something.

All black belt masters i know agree that andre didnt pose any threat, in any moment of the match. You may say that he "dominated" but thats only becausee you are thinking in terms of a point oriented mindset- in a match without any points!!!

There was not a single moment in the match where Andre could have gotten a submission., Not even close.Most agressive thing he did was work on a lapel for a couple seconds.

Technically the fight wasn't a success for either guy. It was a draw. Now personally to me it looked like Galvao was working harder to finish the fight and that Ryron was fine getting a draw. I could be wrong. I'm fine with saying it wasn't a success for Galvao, but you can't say it was a success for Ryron either. The people that say it was a success for Ryron seem to be arguing something entirely different, which is that Ryron won because he didn't lose.

I'm saying that nobody won. It was a draw. The idea was to submit only and neither one did that.

As far as all the keep it playful stuff, I find people like Bill Cooper and Jeff Glover to have way more of a playful/not caring about points style. The style of defending and riding it out to escape and attack later seems very strategic, and not actually that playful at all. I'll admit I may be missing something there as well.

It's only rope a dope when you actually make a serious attempt at coming back.

What would your dad have said if there were no judges in Ali/Foreman and Ali never really came back? What if he just stayed on his feet, flurried weakly in the final round, and then claimed his draw was a moral victory because his grandpa taught him old school self-defense boxing?

Ali's strategy is only famous because he knocked Foreman out. Otherwise he would have looked pretty terrible.

Didn't they extend the matches to 30 minutes for Metmoris II? Gee why do you think that is?

If punches were involved, Ryon would be in a coma. Street safe means at least being on top and controlling the person. The safest thing to do in fight is finish it. Brilliant jiujitsu is someone on your back or putting you in a vastly inferior position where they can beat the life out of you? What happened to the positional hierarchy that is the heart of BJJ?

What if scenarios about if punches were involved are kind of a moot point, neither guy would have played the same strategy. Same if the time limit was different.

It's only rope a dope when you actually make a serious attempt at coming back.

What would your dad have said if there were no judges in Ali/Foreman and Ali never really came back? What if he just stayed on his feet, flurried weakly in the final round, and then claimed his draw was a moral victory because his grandpa taught him old school self-defense boxing?

Ali's strategy is only famous because he knocked Foreman out. Otherwise he would have looked pretty terrible.

Umm..I kinda said this in my post. So thanks for agreeing with me??? The difference between the two is that Ali fully executed the gameplan and won. Ryron ended with a draw..but that doesnt mean that I dont see what he was trying to do.

Would love to hear people's thoughts on this......

This really is the only take-away from the match for me. I personally find it amazing to see in how little real danger Ryron was the whole match and how well some of his escapes worked against Galvao.

Now I know many people say that it is easy to play the dead fish even against someone like Galvao, but I personally feel differently.

The whole argument of "it was strategy" vs "Ryron was killed" is one so full of believe systems that it becomes a fruitless argument.

But the point above, is what made the match interesting and even exciting in my opinion.

This is sherdog so I know it's "cool" to hate on the Gracies.

I have the utmost respect for Roger, Royler, Renzo, Clark, Kron, et al...

Rener and Ryron are creating a cult that defends them at every turn. No matter what they do, there are these mindless drones drinking their koolaid acting like Ryron or Renee want them for something other than their money.

Back