Ryron Gracie reveals strategy used against Galvao

Ugh, accidentally hit enter and I can't edit. You call out Sherdog for their rankings lacking consistent logic and you get dubbs. Lol.

Ryron's goal was to not get submitted so he could spin this as a "moral" victory and use it to sell his product. He never intended on actually trying to win the match; with his cult-like fan base willing to eat everything up, he didn't need to.

I have zero respect for that, and you shouldn't either.

Ryron proved his point completely. For him, the fight was a success. If you disagree, then i really think you are missing something.

All black belt masters i know agree that andre didnt pose any threat, in any moment of the match. You may say that he "dominated" but thats only becausee you are thinking in terms of a point oriented mindset- in a match without any points!!!

There was not a single moment in the match where Andre could have gotten a submission., Not even close.Most agressive thing he did was work on a lapel for a couple seconds.

Points are not just some arbitrary scoring system at IBJJF tournaments. They're meant to be representations of achieving dominance in an actual fight. When you pass someone's guard and get side control, you now have a distinct advantage over your opponent for attaining a submission, but also for landing strikes. Achieving the mount and back control are the most rewarded positions for the same reason: you are now in a significantly better position than your opponent to hit a submission or land strikes.

Yeah it's BJJ and the rules do not permit striking, but the concept of being in a good position to land strikes played a role in the point scoring system. Point being, just because Andre wasn't close to landing a submission doesn't mean he wasn't dominating Ryron. And as other posters have mentioned, it is ironic that the self proclaimed "street ready" jiu jitsu competitor who hates the sport rules, was content to hang out in bottom side control and north south, which is not the place you'd want to be in a street fight.

Points are not just some arbitrary scoring system at IBJJF tournaments. They're meant to be representations of achieving dominance in an actual fight. When you pass someone's guard and get side control, you now have a distinct advantage over your opponent for attaining a submission, but also for landing strikes. Achieving the mount and back control are the most rewarded positions for the same reason: you are now in a significantly better position than your opponent to hit a submission or land strikes.

Yeah it's BJJ and the rules do not permit striking, but the concept of being in a good position to land strikes played a role in the point scoring system. Point being, just because Andre wasn't close to landing a submission doesn't mean he wasn't dominating Ryron. And as other posters have mentioned, it is ironic that the self proclaimed "street ready" jiu jitsu competitor who hates the sport rules, was content to hang out in bottom side control and north south, which is not the place you'd want to be in a street fight.

This is exactly why this "self-defense" BS doesn't make sense.

Pass guard? You've now eliminated 90% of your opponents offense. You get two points for that. Achieve mount or back mount? You've put yourself in a position where you have 100% of the offensive potential. You get four points. Now you've put yourself in a great position to finish your opponent and END the confrontation.

If you're on bottom and sweep your opponent? You've gone from being on bottom potentially being struck to being on top in striking/passing position. In self defense this is a huge turn of events, you've now put yourself in the position to pass guard and achieve those 100% offensive positions. Two points.

People acting like points don't properly simulate the positional heirarchy of a real fight are delusional.

You need to look as far as MMA to see the positional hierarchy at it's finest.

What happens to fighters who spend the fight trying your stall on the bottom from guard? They get punched in the face for 15-25 minutes AT BEST. At worst? They get pounded out pretty quickly.

The guys who end up on top through takedowns or sweeps? They punch you from guard, or they pass guard and increase their chances of a finish ten-fold.

Stalling on the bottom simply doesn't work when strikes are involved and you're facing someone who can defend themselves.

How about for their next match they do it in Combat Jiu Jitsu? Lets see how good the stalling from bottom strategy works when your opponent is on your level and can hit you.

I don't understand training something that's not going to work against someone at your own skill level. Things that work on them will work on everyone else too. You can't say the same for the other way around.

I have the utmost respect for Roger, Royler, Renzo, Clark, Kron, et al...

Rener and Ryron are creating a cult that defends them at every turn. No matter what they do, there are these mindless drones drinking their koolaid acting like Ryron or Renee want them for something other than their money.

Any popular personalities in any sport have this happen. Look at how crazy Nick Diaz fans get, or Eddie Bravo fans. Even Renzo has crazy supporters who feel he can do no wrong. Ryron and Rener have a fan base because they make good videos and are good teachers, just like Renzo is popular because he's funny and honest.

To say the only thing Ryron and Rener care about is money is a bit wrong, I could say the same about anyone that charges money for instruction or video but I doubt it is true for most. Andre Galvao has a video site with similar subscription costs as Gracie University, is he only in it for me money? What about Marcelo Garcia? Draculino?

Rener and Ryron are easy targets because they put themselves out there. They market a lot because they are a business. That doesn't mean they are bad people, they are trying to make a living just like anyone.

Any popular personalities in any sport have this happen. Look at how crazy Nick Diaz fans get, or Eddie Bravo fans. Even Renzo has crazy supporters who feel he can do no wrong. Ryron and Rener have a fan base because they make good videos and are good teachers, just like Renzo is popular because he's funny and honest.

To say the only thing Ryron and Rener care about is money is a bit wrong, I could say the same about anyone that charges money for instruction or video but I doubt it is true for most. Andre Galvao has a video site with similar subscription costs as Gracie University, is he only in it for me money? What about Marcelo Garcia? Draculino?

Rener and Ryron are easy targets because they put themselves out there. They market a lot because they are a business. That doesn't mean they are bad people, they are trying to make a living just like anyone.

I don't even dislike Ryron and Renee. In fact, I quite enjoy their breakdowns.

I just can't vibe with the way Ryron's approached his match with Galvao. Or his dishonest marketing afterwards.

My phone keeps autocorrecting Rener to Renee and I can't edit it.

Dubbed decrease the quality of posts.

Back