Ryron Gracie

LoneLynx

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Whithout the constraints of points and judging, watching him just roll freely, I think he’s my favorite BJJ guy to watch. His match with Galvao is still a classic imo, just watch him get physically dominated for 20 minutes and never panic, never gas, stay in control and escape.

From a strictly self defense standpoint I hate it. From a BJJ standpoint I hate it.
From a no points competition stand point I hate it.

Dude never even attempted a submission never really threatened a sweep or a takedown. It ranks right up there with this snooze fest

He's good at surviving and escaping, and he demonstrates that against Galvão, however what he did here is flying in the face of what they preach. This kind of "playful" survival would get you pulverised in a self-defence situation, which is what they preach about and say Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is all about. I can't see the context in which this is a good strategy - in self-defence, Vale Tudo, MMA, Jiu-Jitsu and Judo competition it is losing. At best, in the context of a submission only contest with no referees decision, it is a drawing strategy. Ryron is a very skilled jiujiteiro, but I don't think he achieved what he was trying to here.

That said, Galvão doesn't really seem to push the pace here either. He seemed largely content to control the position and that's it (although it is extremely hard to submit someone who is just defending).

Last edited:
The application is simple: if you’re training and getting frustrated because you keep getting mauled by bigger guys and higher belts: watch how Ryron rolls. I’m sure people have quit BJJ after a few bad sparring sessions where they got mounted, panicked, got mad, then felt like BJJ wasn’t for them because they couldn’t live up to the ideals of positional domination so prominently displayed in this thread. This is exactly the point, you can be skillful at surviving and escaping, and it can be beautiful, even if unpopular on Sherdog.

The application is simple: if you’re training and getting frustrated because you keep getting mauled by bigger guys and higher belts: watch how Ryron rolls. I’m sure people have quit BJJ after a few bad sparring sessions where they got mounted, panicked, got mad, then felt like BJJ wasn’t for them because they couldn’t live up to the ideals of positional domination so prominently displayed in this thread. This is exactly the point, you can be skillful at surviving and escaping, and it can be beautiful, even if unpopular on Sherdog.
Nah that’s not survival that’s a terrible strategy for a no points competition. I think he was counting on galvao to get frustrated so he could capitalize on it and sneak in a submission of his own. That BS didn’t work so he just stuck with it and turned it into a but but my defense was so could he couldn’t do anything crap.

spin it how you want but dude got dry humped raw for the whole match. It’s not a sherdog thing it’s just facts. It’s a bad look for him and BJJ it’s his version of the butt scoot.

I’m just waiting for a Gracie to be named like Steve or Michael or something lol. They love their R names.

I think, IMO, out of the two brother's Ryron is my favorite... but....
When they show them rolling at various seminars with other black belts, they go more offense.... would've like to have seen more of that for the Galvao match

I was always very impressed with his skills. I remember that one time when he grappled with Josh Barnett.

I want what you two are smoking.
I just rewatched it, skimming through that snooze fest.
If that had been officially scored, it would have been like18-2 Galvao. He took Ryron down, passed his guard multiple times. The only time Ryron would have scored was the mount reversal, and he didn't do shit with it because Andre just stood up.

Ryron had a couple hail mary submission attempts that were nowhere near being successful. His guard was shut down completely and passed easily, and besides the mount reversal that Andre stood up from two seconds later, the only time Ryron was on top was when Andre pulled guard.

Andre fucking dominated him. And save it about the weight. Andre was 192 vs. Ryron's 190.

I respect what the Gracie family has done, but you nut hugging delusion boys need to grow the fuck up and admit that the sport has passed them by.

You guys are like the weirdos still buying Cheerios from Amway lmao.

Whithout the constraints of points and judging, watching him just roll freely, I think he’s my favorite BJJ guy to watch. His match with Galvao is still a classic imo, just watch him get physically dominated for 20 minutes and never panic, never gas, stay in control and escape.

yup, one of my faves too. I personally think that if the match was no time limit that he was going to win that one

You're a Priit Mihkelson guy, right?

I watch this match when I was a blue belt and was very impressed by Ryron. I thought Andre Galvao would run through Ryron. Now that I am a black belt with over 10 years of training I am impressed because Ryron did what he wanted to which was to hang with one of the world's best grapplers. I do not think Ryron intended to submit Galvao, but rather just make life hard for Galvao. I will not get into the points vs defense debate.

Here is how I view this match as a black belt.

I once went up against a IBJJF world champion black belt and adcc absolute champion in the gym. I tried the first time to submit him I thought impossible but why not. No surprise he submitted me 3 times in 5 mins. Next time weeks later, he was training for a comp but he was probably going 20% of what he could really do. This time I said just try to get a takedown and not tap. I actually managed to survive with no take down. The intensity was higher than before.

We did another 2 rounds before the end of the day, I did tap 1 more time but other than that I played a super defensive game. He passed by guard but I managed to recover, he managed to take me down but I managed to get back. up. Again just 20% of what he could really do. This experienced taught me if you know what to do you can avoid getting submitted, it is hard to beat a knowledgeable person who is just trying to survive.

I think about this with Ryron and Andre, Ryron has not competed in years from what I understood at the time. Yes he sparred against top people but competition is different. Gordon Ryan even says that if Oliver Taza could do in ADCC what he does in the gym he could be champion. So a training environment is different from competition I firmly believe that. Back to Ryron, he probably has more knowledgeable that Galvao and if Ryron was not trying to be offensive and open himself up to attacks but rather tire Galvao and wait for an opening then you get the match we saw. Galvao did not completely tire and did not give Ryron the opening he was looking for. Both could have been more aggressive. The lesson I learned is jiu jitsu is powerful you can avoid getting submitted if you have good defense no matter the skill level of the other person.

I am probably a white belt compared to Andre and Ryron but I do think i can could hold off getting submitted against 2nd tier ADCC fighters going 100%. Why because if you know what you are doing and play a super defensive game you can hang with people 3 skill levels above you.

Being a blackbelt now and sparring many times, it is clear to me how good a strong defense is against the best of the best.

All respect to Ryron because going up against Galvao is not easy and I do feel Galvao did not run through Ryron the way he did against many other people.

We did another 2 rounds before the end of the day, I did tap 1 more time but other than that I played a super defensive game. He passed by guard but I managed to recover, he managed to take me down but I managed to get back. up. Again just 20% of what he could really do. This experienced taught me if you know what to do you can avoid getting submitted, it is hard to beat a knowledgeable person who is just trying to survive.

You're basically saying that even if one guy is a lot better than another, if the second guy does nothing but play defense, he's difficult to submit.
Andre is light years ahead of Ryron, Ryron just fought not to lose instead of fighting to win.

Back to Ryron, he probably has more knowledgeable that Galvao and if Ryron was not trying to be offensive and open himself up to attacks but rather tire Galvao and wait for an opening then you get the match we saw.

In what world is he more knowledgeable than Andre? This makes no sense. Knowledge without application is meaningless. And it's not like Ryron is old and decrepit. He's in his physical prime here, but couldn't do shit to Andre. Just admit Andre is better.

But let's play along and say he is more knowledgeable. Where are Ryron's champions? T-City? Please. What next? Ryron's more knowledgeable than Andre but Andre is just better at conveying that knowledge to his students? There's your argument.

Maybe it's something simpler than the mental gymnastics you've done here. I have a crazy notion for you. Tell me what you think about it:

Andre Galvao is better at and more knowledgeable of BJJ than Ryron Gracie.

Did the sky fall? No? Thank goodness!

Maybe iI touched a nerve sorry did not mean too.

Andre is better than Ryron, more knowledgable maybe.

Let ask you this, by all accounts John Danaher was not a beast on the mats but would you say John is more knowledgeable than most ADC medalist?

Are you suggesting that John Danaher is less knowledgable than guys who apply their technique going 100%?

I do not think so.

I make the suggestion that Ryron has more knowledge than Andre only from the way I have seen both teach their content. I find Ryron content clearer to understand and better structured. I do think Andre Galvao has one of the great minds of jiu jitsu and has better good content more varied than Ryron's for sure. But when it comes to fundamentals I feel Ryron explains it better. Maybe Andre knows more but I feel confident in saying Ryron has a vast amount of knowledge.

Yes, I am saying even if you fight a guy who is light years better and you know what you are doing you can be difficult to submit.

The only exception I have seen to their rule is Gordon Ryan who seems to be able to submit almost anyone even if they play a very defensive game.

Maybe iI touched a nerve sorry did not mean too.

Andre is better than Ryron, more knowledgable maybe.

Let ask you this, by all accounts John Danaher was not a beast on the mats but would you say John is more knowledgeable than most ADC medalist?

Are you suggesting that John Danaher is less knowledgable than guys who apply their technique going 100%?

I do not think so.

I make the suggestion that Ryron has more knowledge than Andre only from the way I have seen both teach their content. I find Ryron content clearer to understand and better structured. I do think Andre Galvao has one of the great minds of jiu jitsu and has better good content more varied than Ryron's for sure. But when it comes to fundamentals I feel Ryron explains it better. Maybe Andre knows more but I feel confident in saying Ryron has a vast amount of knowledge.

Yes, I am saying even if you fight a guy who is light years better and you know what you are doing you can be difficult to submit.

The only exception I have seen to their rule is Gordon Ryan who seems to be able to submit almost anyone even if they play a very defensive game.

Danaher has a crippled leg, it's not a valid comparison. In any case, he IS known as being a beast on the mats, I've never heard anything different.

Gordon trains like a maniac and is juicy as hell.

You probably think Dan Brown is a better writer than Nietzsche.

Back