S&C for BJJ

Are the big lifts squat deadlift bench OHP rows chin ups enough for injury prevention? Also how much a difference did you guys notice going from no lifting to rolling with your noob gains?

I've recently gotten back into steady training (weight and MMA) and have experienced noticeable improvement in strength and endurance from Strong First protocols (Pavel Tsatsouline's baby). Most of the work is KB driven, but it's not a requirement. Primarily low rep ranges but the biggest change from other methods I've tried is the use of low rep, high weight exercises for cardio.

A quick example is to do 150 KB swings at intervals of 5 reps/45-60 sec break, or 10 reps/75-90 sec break. Intuitively this makes sense to me as being applicable to grappling since it's a marriage of strength and cardio.

Also, S&C guys probably know alot more. I concur with the recommendations to seek advice there. :thumbsup:

I think people try to get overly specific with strength training for bjj. I think strength training should be treated as a general adaptation not a specific one. Pick whatever you enjoy, oly lifting, powerlifting, bodybuilding, CrossFit, kettlebells, calisthenics…whatever. Just focus on progressing in whatever you pick and you will benefit.

Dan Johns Easy strength works really well for me and is very manageable. Along with that his armor building complex is awesome.

Started up kettlebell complexes and some farmers carries again recently and certainly feel the difference rolling in terms of grips, arm drags etc

I've done alot of things over the course of my training to supplement my mat/ring time.

I'm lifting these days more than I'm rolling, mostly due to the pandemic. I roll, spar and hit mitts twice a week in a garage with a few friends, and lift 4-5 days a week. I was rowing regularly for the year and a half that I was competely absent from live training, doing variable intensity programs.

Now that my back story is caught up, I have always liked lifting as a complement to combat training. I've been doing a Wendler 5x3x1 with a few tweaks to fit my 45 year batterd and used up body, and I like it. It's relatively low volume, but you can ramp it up if you want (or likewise taper it off if you need to). I got the strongest I've ever been in deadlift and overhead press during the pandemic, then hurt my hip and had to recover. Now I'm getting back up to those numbers.

It's supposed to be one major lift per workout, but I tend to do two (i.e. overhead press/squat one session, row/deadlift the next session). I do beach muscle dumbbell exercises to finish the session and stretch before hand. The original Wendler is supposed to be a four week program with the fourth week as rest/deload, but I tend to get through it in a week and a half or two weeks the way I do it, including deload.

I'm sure S&C guys would pick apart what I do and they may be right, but the volume and customizeable aspect of the program works for me, and except for the injury I had last year (which is mostly due to a birth defect in my hips), the program works for me because I can keep up with it, and I get stronger.

Also, and I think that this is most important, I like it. I like lifting, so I keep at it. When I was competing a whole bunch, I ran on a treadmill to keep up my cardio and keep my weight down, but without the need to hit a certain weight and know that I can do multiple rounds in tournaments or shows, I don't really care about that these days. I supplement my training mostly for longevity and because I just like to be a strong person, and I feel good on the mats with what I've got going now. Competition and hobby/lifestyle training are different, so it largely depends on what your goals are.

Ok, that's enough rambling.

Back