News Sage Northcutt has gone off on ONE Championship on social media regarding his withdrawal from ONE 165 in Tokyo.

Maybe he should hold off on exposing ONE FC to media outlets, social media, ect before he finds out who's really behind those mysterious anonymous texts. They might ending up fucking him over even more with their weird contract terms.

They have been manipulating the weigh ins for their fighters for years and turning a blind eye for certain things to manufacture results.

You literally had them ignore their own suplex rules for Angela lee and fighters have clearly been weightclasses above their opponents with the supposed hydration rule.

https://www.scmp.com/sport/martial-...36/one-championship-angela-lee-denies-illegal

It sucks because I actually really enjoy watching One but I knew some fighters signed their early and they were faking medicals, weight cuts etc over 6 years ago.
Agreed -- I really want them to succeed, but there are too many suspicious things going on behind closed doors with them that make it impossible to ignore. I'm surprised they've made it this far, but they somehow keep getting money from investors.

Sage is a coward. Pulled out an hour before for a corner man? That's a first. Aoki was right he's not a fighter and shouldn't be in combat sports

I think he pulled out more on principle than anything else.

He was pissed that they knew before they ever even left the States they'd have issues(even brought it ONE's attention) and ONE thought since he flew there he'd just cave in and fight.

Seems like quite a few ONE fighters are airing their grievances like this lately. Not a good look for ONE and they’re no longer able to suppress it?

Running out of money to do anything about it and good luck enforcing it anyways. I'm guessing about all they could do is just not schedule them to fight.

Agreed -- I really want them to succeed, but there are too many suspicious things going on behind closed doors with them that make it impossible to ignore. I'm surprised they've made it this far, but they somehow keep getting money from investors.
I loved the mixed aspect of the cards. They actually effectively brought kickboxing and muay thai to a modern audience. Plus the grappling matches are a good mix and they picked the right people to get behind.

They go on about having the best strikers and in some ways they aren't wrong. The level of striking on a whole is higher than the UFC and Bellator(except some outliers). It's just too bad there is no way they could possibly be legit successful currently. I'd pay for a fightpass type model if it was offered for One as opposed to the free cards.

ONE doing ONE things.

Unfortunate. I love to watch their cards, but they've never turned a profit and have contracts that are just as restrictive, if not more so in many cases, as the UFC.

Sage is a coward. Pulled out an hour before for a corner man? That's a first. Aoki was right he's not a fighter and shouldn't be in combat sports
This is not a Ammy street fight, this is teams... and trust, you build your team and count on them, they crippled him.

Pro Fights!!! Dude, do it right or not at all.

I always considered Sage more of a Tricker XMA than an MMA fighter but he has changed my mind.

When did Sage grow out his hair & started wearing a sports bra?

1707538150645.png

Sounds like a typical behind-the-scenes thing in Japan.

I remember CroCop's ex-manager saying that they did this all the time to influence fights, to favor their betting.

Good on Sage for not succumbing to the pressure. Most fighters don't have a choice. They need the money and just follow through with the last-minute BS.

One has such awesome Muay Thai fights and match ups. Sucks that it's ran by just another shady prick 'business' man.

I think he pulled out more on principle than anything else.

He was pissed that they knew before they ever even left the States they'd have issues(even brought it ONE's attention) and ONE thought since he flew there he'd just cave in and fight.
Defending One is not a hill I'm going to die on because it would be an absolute slaughter, but the Barnett tweet does bring up some interesting questions.

If you take it at face value, there was no issue with the cornermen not having work visas and there never was any threat of jail time. Did someone just put that in Northcutt's ear and he blew up and didn't listen when people tried to reason with him?

One's response

ONE Championship has since issued a statement regarding Sage Northcutt’s claims which reads as follows:

“ONE Championship empathizes with Sage Northcutt in regard to the situation he faced at ONE 165, where two of his coaches were not allowed to corner him, leading to his withdrawal from the event.

“Due to a change in external guidance from a third-party visa consultancy on Certificate of Eligibility (COE) requirements for all cornermen at ONE 165, there were work visa processing issues leading up to the event, which unfortunately impacted multiple athletes.

“The ONE team communicated the ongoing issues to our athletes and their management, but there was clearly a misunderstanding with the options presented to Sage and his team.

“Despite his recent comments, ONE values Sage’s partnership on a personal and professional level, and we hope that we can resolve this situation amicably.

“We also hope our athletes understand that we were acting in their best interest in being 100% compliant with local laws, and that this was an isolated incident given our track record of successfully flying in athletes and their cornermen for hundreds of global events.”

One's response

ONE Championship has since issued a statement regarding Sage Northcutt’s claims which reads as follows:

“ONE Championship empathizes with Sage Northcutt in regard to the situation he faced at ONE 165, where two of his coaches were not allowed to corner him, leading to his withdrawal from the event.

“Due to a change in external guidance from a third-party visa consultancy on Certificate of Eligibility (COE) requirements for all cornermen at ONE 165, there were work visa processing issues leading up to the event, which unfortunately impacted multiple athletes.

“The ONE team communicated the ongoing issues to our athletes and their management, but there was clearly a misunderstanding with the options presented to Sage and his team.

“Despite his recent comments, ONE values Sage’s partnership on a personal and professional level, and we hope that we can resolve this situation amicably.

“We also hope our athletes understand that we were acting in their best interest in being 100% compliant with local laws, and that this was an isolated incident given our track record of successfully flying in athletes and their cornermen for hundreds of global events.”

Sounds like there's hope for reconciliation.

Back