Sakuraba's response to being inducted into the Hall of Fame

SakuRoyce6.gif

Let me him beat up Cm Punk so I can see him in the cage <3

Well deserved, there's not a fighter on the roster like him now that I can think of. Glad to see this.

{<huh}

He debuted in 1996, won a UFC HW tournament in 1997, and jumped over to Pride for their 2nd event (Pride 2) in 1998. Unless you're eluding to early/middle 20th century Vale tudo fighters or guys like Gene Labell as pioneers, Saku is a pioneer if you start the ticker in the early 90's with the UFC and Pancrace, or even late 80's era Shooto for that matter.
He's just more hardcore than the rest of us

Last edited by a moderator:
War Saku one of my all time favorites!!!

Man's a true legend.

Royce wanted an unlimited time limit, many said it wouldn't be fair to Saku...he comes out and says give Royce what he wants, I'll beat him at his own rules.

He did just that. Royce's corner threw in the towel after 90 minutes. Epic.

Respect.

Sakuraba fought all the greats during their early prime days... rampage, wandy, mir cro, etc.

Man's a true legend.

Royce wanted an unlimited time limit, many said it wouldn't be fair to Saku...he comes out and says give Royce what he wants, I'll beat him at his own rules.

He did just that. Royce's corner threw in the towel after 90 minutes. Epic.

Werent his rules, were the traditional Vale Tudo Rules.

But it was unfair to the winner of this fight since he was supposed to fight later that night.

They could have booked this fight under old rules, b4 or after the tournament.. Dunno why they insisted.

But it was unfair to the winner of this fight since he was supposed to fight later that night.

They could have booked this fight under old rules, b4 or after the tournament.. Dunno why they insisted.

Royce would have been absolutely murdered by Vovchanchyn if he had somehow won. Although, in the end Coleman was going to win no matter what. That's what the kneebar tap against Takada was likely in trade for.

"While the Japanese fight media rejoiced and elevated Sakuraba to superstar status, the Gracie family took great umbrage over the incident, feeling that they had been cheated by Pride. Despite Sakuraba challenging Royler's older brother Rickson Gracie after the match, it was his younger brother and former UFC Champion Royce Gracie who, compelled to set the record straight and re-assert the dominance of his family, returned to the sport of mixed martial arts in 2000 and entered the 16-Man Pride Grand Prix alongside Sakuraba and several other top fighters of the era. Placed on the same side of the bracket, a special set of rules were requested by the Gracies in the event of a Sakuraba-Royce match, including no referee stoppages and no time-limits, the fight ending only in the event of a submission or knock-out (something prohibited in modern MMA because of the widely adopted Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts limiting matches to 25 minutes overall, 5 x 5 minute rounds)."

Was even said on a PRIDE documentary. The Gracie's wanted those rules, PRIDE didn't at the time, but Saku said let's go...

War Saku!!!!! A true legend. Should make an elaborate entrance to get the award.

1Kazushi-Sakuraba-Entrance.gif

"Placed on the same side of the bracket, a special set of rules were requested by the Gracies in the event of a Sakuraba-Royce match, including no referee stoppages and no time-limits, the fight ending only in the event of a submission or knock-out (something prohibited in modern MMA because of the widely adopted Unified Rules of Mixed Martial Arts limiting matches to 25 minutes overall, 5 x 5 minute rounds)."

Was even said on a PRIDE documentary. The Gracie's wanted those rules, PRIDE didn't at the time, but Saku said let's go...

I didnt say the Gracies were not the ones who requested those rules.

But they didnt invent those rules.

Those were the traditional Vale Tudo Rules since the 1920s.

Back