Sales people/cold calls

Ok, Judge Mental.

I worked for a Telco in a small town & they pulled out after about 9 years. A company took us all on & saved jobs, but it was all outbound contracted phone call work. It's not easy, you get managers on your back for sales, it's repetitive & get people abuse you.

I never done the wrong thing to sell to people & put people on better plans when they were on shit plans. Was always respectful. I did the right thing, but that lead to average sales. I saw people get rewarded when I knew they were doing the wrong thing, but I still was honest & didn't follow down that path, so can look myself in the mirror at least.

So many people can't hack it. Saw some people start & that day just leave.

Glad that you are or were in a good position, but please respect people that do it rough.

If you aren't interested in someone approaching you on the phone or in person, just say "no thankyou. not interested. wish you all the best". Being nice is not hard to do & people respect that honesty.

Also, call centre work in poor countries is classed as a white collar job.

I was a manager of a sales office, bet you would've loved me lmao

Can someone explain why a company would do cold calling as opposed to doing marketing? I don't understand cold calling when it is far more annoying than just doing marketing/advertising and let the customer decide if they want to make contact or not.

Because cold calling works if you have a great product and a good salesman.

I work in Fintech sales. AMA

To be a great sales person.

Large dose of sociopathy
Healthy dollop of narcissism
Stir vigorously and sprinkle with sugar until you can't see or smell what's just underneath.

Because cold calling works if you have a great product and a good salesman.

I work in Fintech sales. AMA

But even in Fintech if you have a great product there are contracts and things that are in place and it is not easy to just generally switch. Let's say you have a platform you are trying to sell. It's not like the client can just go great we are in considering there would be time needed to get off the other platform, training needed on the new platform and all the costs associated with it.

My sneaking suspicion is that you would have been a fairly decent boss.

Im not one to rate myself, but I was a real dickhead when necessary sir lol.
Otherwise I was pretty fair with the guys/women.

I certainly wouldn't be able to say the things I said back then though lol.

But even in Fintech if you have a great product there are contracts and things that are in place and it is not easy to just generally switch. Let's say you have a platform you are trying to sell. It's not like the client can just go great we are in considering there would be time needed to get off the other platform, training needed on the new platform and all the costs associated with it.

Yes absolutely. That’s why you have to provide value to the conversation. Unique selling points. Actually help people.

The best sales people are fixing things for people. Simple as that.

I feel like it takes special kind of psycho to do that kind of work. I'm in a position at my company where I hold the purse strings on many things, such as the suppliers we use, transportation, and any software platforms we implement. Naturally I get inquiries from people wanting to sell all of those things so I often end up ignoring a lot of that stuff.

In the event that I do end up having a conversation with one of these people, either because I pick up the phone or they show up at the office unannounced, they try to get their hooks in and do not stop following up. Some of these guys border on harassment and use tactics like guilt tripping, saying stuff like "you told me to follow up in a week" (which usually isn't true).

I don't know what these guys are thinking. I literally hold all of the leverage. Maybe they think that if they harass enough the dam will break and I will give them a shot? Sometimes as I pass through a mall people will ask about my cell phone plan, I will tell them my phone is paid for by my company and they'll say something like "get another one"!

I could never do that kind of work.
Could you do bailiff job? Throwing people out their properties for unpaid bills?

Could you do bailiff job? Throwing people out their properties for unpaid bills?
Sign.me.up

giphy.gif

I feel like it takes special kind of psycho to do that kind of work. I'm in a position at my company where I hold the purse strings on many things, such as the suppliers we use, transportation, and any software platforms we implement. Naturally I get inquiries from people wanting to sell all of those things so I often end up ignoring a lot of that stuff.

In the event that I do end up having a conversation with one of these people, either because I pick up the phone or they show up at the office unannounced, they try to get their hooks in and do not stop following up. Some of these guys border on harassment and use tactics like guilt tripping, saying stuff like "you told me to follow up in a week" (which usually isn't true).

I don't know what these guys are thinking. I literally hold all of the leverage. Maybe they think that if they harass enough the dam will break and I will give them a shot? Sometimes as I pass through a mall people will ask about my cell phone plan, I will tell them my phone is paid for by my company and they'll say something like "get another one"!

I could never do that kind of work.

What you describe seems the portrait of the mediocre salesman (wich tbh imho is huge %)

Was'nt even expert in the field i was doing it, but got very good results because essentially salesman shit is same as hitting on quality girl... very basic concept is be respectful and show interest in do stuff together, without arrogance show you're confident about your offer value and DON'T press the other part to give you an answer as soon as possible or pretend they owe you anything or any weak attempt to bind.

Do the things you said smell of desperation wich lead to suspect your stuff is hard to sell because low value, or at least that the person selling it sucks and is afraid of get another "no"

For what's worth my closure after first conversation/general presentation and answer eventual questions was simply communicate all ways to contact me afterward, and essentially be like "thanks for your time, contact me if you have other questions or you're interested to settle another meeting to explore options for your company"

Then just save data/notes about it (to not be unprepared/contradict yourself) and move to next one
Unless they was the ones telling me to call them let's say next week, would not call again

Leave to the potential client absolute freedom of choice if call you back or not (wich is a farce because he have it no matter what insistent cunts do) is best confidence move you can do and also hint the idea you're busy person that have better things to do than harass them

To keep the parallel i think just as most suck at hit on women also most are not made to sell, yet is perceived as no-skill job so anybody get a shot at it
And to some extent i agree with it, i had no skill either, yet other side of the coin is while many skills can be teached have to ability to link with people and understand right shit to say is'nt much something you can teach because is mostly based on intuition rather than istructions

Many times of a bunch bad wannabe salesmen that try, one get the job because he sold 10, and nobody seems to care if he suck and had to harass 300 to achieve it
Actually many old school idiots LOVE that he full retard called all these 300 (because that's how they was too)

And maybe ten years after, that unlikeable dude is the same teaching juniors his "tricks" to sell, so you end up with legions of that kind of people that harass you with most awkward shit tactics

It's a ridicolous situation but it is what it is

I had quite big clash inside the company where i still work and i'm happy to don't be in the sales anymore (nor i feel the need to try it somewhere else, much prefer my current role here), yet i still consider salesman an awesome job, easily one of best i ever did

A lot of Filipinos have this kind of work, they're not psycho's. Not sure if everyone does the the guilt-tripping, if so then they must be trained to do it. It's a decent paying job here in the Philippines even if they have to work a graveyard shift. It's because it's either that or working in a sweat shop, retail or construction.
A lot of Filipinos have this kind of work, they're not psycho's. Not sure if everyone does the the guilt-tripping, if so then they must be trained to do it. It's a decent paying job here in the Philippines even if they have to work a graveyard shift. It's because it's either that or working in a sweat shop, retail or construction.
Yeah hell yeah I’d rather do that than dig a fuckin ditch in a country with lax labor laws .

I’m brutally honest with people like that. I tell them their harassment has guaranteed I will never consider using their products. I don’t care how good or cheap it may be.

Seems to me like they don't even lift, bro.

On a more serious note, hard to comprehend such garbage lives among us... and they KNEW they were being recorded
What type of people you thought you would be throwing out the house :D ??

Polite white collars? HAHAHA

So yea, maybe sales job isn't that bad after all :D

I’ve sold intangibles cold calling on the phone.
I made a lot of money doing it. Don’t feel bad. I believe in the product and I have had people say ‘thank god I picked the phone up today’. Guess it just depends. It’s not an effective sales technique for anyone with marketing money but it works.

I could never imagine time share sales and the such. That’s true evil.

Back