Sam Alvey: "The UFC pays us way more than we deserve."

No one tunes in to see the end-of-the-bench players in any of the major pro sports either...and yet the minimum salaries in each of those leagues affords those players a good living and the ability to focus full-time on the job at hand.
Players in major pro sports have a much higher entry barrier and always have a plan B. They are also training for each of many games a year instead of 1-3 fights a year.

Most UFC fighters would not be able to compete in other, better paying sports. Boxers are paid even less unless they are stars.

As much as I'm an advocate for raising fighter pay, I understand his argument.

The problem of course is that limiting matchups of relative unknowns based on region would make for less compelling matchups; but based on his logic (which seems sound enough,) the final purses for the lesser known guys would have the potential to be positively impacted.

I'm betting that dudes would rather make more money in the end rather than having compensation wrapped up in overseas air fair, immigration attorneys (or whatever) applying for visas, etc.... for the fighters' team/corner/spouses and whatnot.

While I understand his argument, I'd be more likely to agree if the UFC was putting on bi-weekly events that people weren't tuning in to see as opposed to 40ish events per year.
Logical argument but wrong conclusion based on the full picture IMO.

Could see Sam coming back to UFC as a HW and cutting to 266 and stinking the place out for 5 loses in a row.

dick-rider.gif
Finally somebody uses this gif perfectly. Lol

This is how a total journeyman of a fighter lasted long enough to set the record for most consecutive UFC losses. Any similarly ranked fighter who wasn't a needle mover would've gotten cut after three straight. He's a dick rider. But that got him a lot of checks cashed so whatever.

The overwhelming majority of fighters are not big names when they come to the ufc.....

Cool logic Alvey.... you still deserve to get paid and get paid decent due to your career can be over in 1 fight.

H8rdem can what they want but Dana paved the way for bro's karate career he a champ now best Karateka in the game IMHO 🥋
Everyone knows the best “kareteka” is J’dinkalage Margoon fighting out of south flurida and it’s not even close

This is how a total journeyman of a fighter lasted long enough to set the record for most consecutive UFC losses. Any similarly ranked fighter who wasn't a needle mover would've gotten cut after three straight. He's a dick rider. But that got him a lot of checks cashed so whatever.
No bud your wrong Smilin Sam took every fight offered to him stepped in on short notice many times. He ain't like all these sit-out merchants they got on the roster these days. smh
#SMILINSAMREALFIGHTER

He's right IMO. Being a professional fighter isn't some great thing that inherently automatically entails you to massive compensation.

For that I believe you need to fight and develop a style and personality that is entertaining because that is what fighter are, entertainers.

Just because you train with your boys really hard and, took 10 fights and are an amazing 9-1 doesn't mean jack fucking shit. Fighters seriously need to stop acting like they're owed so much simply because they fight. Prove that you're worth it, that you can entertain and create a desire for your craft. Nobody except his friends and family bought a card for Sam Alvey, same for all the others. And personally, I think Sam Alvey is on the upperside of popularity if an average was taken of all fighters.

Back