Sambo thread!

Hey SamboSteve,

Can you recommend an instructional(s) for a beginner? Want additional techniques to add to the BJJ arsenal (primary the grappling); only because I have a decade of several standup martial arts under my belt.

How is sambo organized in Russia? is there a pro-league?

do you go several matches in one comp?

Is it like MMA that any styles are allowed to partake?

There are FIAS organized/sponsored tournaments. They are the largest ones. You could say it's the "pro" league (even though it's an "amateur" sport). But there are a lot of other organizations or promotions or gyms that organize sambo events. That's why you sometimes see different uniforms and/or rules allowed at one competition or another. There's some combat sambo organizations that wear no helmets and allow knees to a grounded opponent, for example, while FIAS doesn't allow that.

There is supposed to be an elaborate ranking system of points according to your competition record in FIAS, and the category you fit in according to your ranking.
However, most competitions are open to everyone even if you're not ranked (because de facto, there's no real record of points/ranking in usage), and even if you are not a sambo practitioner (as long as you wear the proper uniform and follow the rules. In FIAS tournaments you do have to register as to what federation/association you belong to, but in many countries there's none, so you just sign up as your gym. If you are from Zimbabwe and sign up as "Zimbabwe MMA", i don't think they'll care.
In theory, to enter a World/Continental/Regional/City championship, you have to be the champion of your country/city/gym. In reality, if you are from X country and go and register at the World Championship, and there's no one else from your country in that category, you will get signed up. Unless someone well known disputes the fact that you are no champion, they won't stop you.

You do go several matches in one competition, depending on the number of participants, just like in BJJ. This can be particularly grueling in combat sambo tournaments. I've seen tournaments where you need SEVEN wins (in the course of two days, maybe one (the number of matches is supposed to be limited per day, don't remember the exact number now)) to be the champion.
So sometimes there are a lof of byes. A good example is when Fyodor Emelianenko gets to win some of his matches by his opponent not fighting at all. A lot of people will criticize them... But if you just fought HARD 3 times, you are injuried and exhausted, and you have to fight Mr. Emelianenko who just KTFO and ippon'd his opponents in under 1 minute...

Came across this yesterday; SAMBO Montreal

I would love to do some sambo (montreal) and this would be more convenient for me than Club Kozak. Any Sambo vets around know/heard about the instructor?

Hey SamboSteve,

Can you recommend an instructional(s) for a beginner? Want additional techniques to add to the BJJ arsenal (primary the grappling); only because I have a decade of several standup martial arts under my belt.

Igor Kurinnoy - Sambo for Professionals. It is by far the best out there.
Yakimov's stuff is good. Reilly Bodycomb's leg lock DVDs are great.
I also have a new one out. You can get it at Budo Videos.

Came across this yesterday; SAMBO Montreal

I would love to do some sambo (montreal) and this would be more convenient for me than Club Kozak. Any Sambo vets around know/heard about the instructor?

Never heard of them. New place? Seems like they only have kids classes.

I'm so bummed there aren't more sambo clubs in North America. I think there,s like one in Montreal, and there used to be one in Ottawa but the trainer there retired. Huge bummer.

So we have stickied Catch and Judo threads, but no Sambo? Interesting.

Why don't they just sticky this thread already dammit!

I wonder if the mods are gonna sticky this thread yet. I believe it would be very wise of them to do so.

Somedays I wish some sambo guy would have started the UFC so that there would be sambo school all around North America instread of BJJ.

Somedays I wish some sambo guy would have started the UFC so that there would be sambo school all around North America instread of BJJ.

Lolz I feel you dude. Ever since mma became popular, it's like everyone knows about BJJ and believes it's the best or only grappling art in the world. It also seems like there's alot of McDojo's claiming to be legit BJJ schools.

:|

Seriously, this must be made sticky

Back