Elections San Francisco appoints non citizen to election commission

White Whale

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

Hong Kong immigrant becomes first non-US citizen to serve on the San Francisco Election Commission

San Francisco recently appointed non-U.S. citizen and Hong Kong immigrant, Kelly Wong, to serve on the city's election commission.

Wong is an advocate for immigrant voting rights and is reportedly "the first noncitizen appointed to the commission," according to local California outlet KQED.

In 2020, San Francisco passed a measure that removed the requirement of being a citizen to serve on commissions and city boards.

The seven members of the city's election commission are each appointed by a different city official, including the mayor and district attorney. The Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to appoint Wong.

"I'm very impressed by her commitment to enfranchising people who rarely vote, to educating people about the voting process, and to bring in noncitizens and get them the tools they need as they become citizens,” Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin said regarding Wong.

Wong still cannot vote in elections, but she hopes her being appointed to the commission inspires other immigrants.

“There are always voices inside my head. Like, ‘You can’t do it. You’re not competent. You’re an immigrant. This is not your country.’ That’s not true,” Wong said, according to KQED. “If I can do it, you can do it.”

She can't legally vote in the United States yet she is on a election commission.

This is just a step towards allowing Illegals to vote in US elections. Democrats down want America to be a country anymore.

Hong Kong immigrant becomes first non-US citizen to serve on the San Francisco Election Commission

San Francisco recently appointed non-U.S. citizen and Hong Kong immigrant, Kelly Wong, to serve on the city's election commission.

Wong is an advocate for immigrant voting rights and is reportedly "the first noncitizen appointed to the commission," according to local California outlet KQED.

In 2020, San Francisco passed a measure that removed the requirement of being a citizen to serve on commissions and city boards.

The seven members of the city's election commission are each appointed by a different city official, including the mayor and district attorney. The Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to appoint Wong.

"I'm very impressed by her commitment to enfranchising people who rarely vote, to educating people about the voting process, and to bring in noncitizens and get them the tools they need as they become citizens,” Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin said regarding Wong.

Wong still cannot vote in elections, but she hopes her being appointed to the commission inspires other immigrants.

“There are always voices inside my head. Like, ‘You can’t do it. You’re not competent. You’re an immigrant. This is not your country.’ That’s not true,” Wong said, according to KQED. “If I can do it, you can do it.”

She can't legally vote in the United States yet she is on a election commission.

This is just a step towards allowing Illegals to vote in US elections. Democrats down want America to be a country anymore.
Is she illegal? Or is she here on a visa. Those are two different things. Is she advocating for people to never become citizens and still be able to vote, or is she advocating for those who are doing it right, on visas and working towards their citizenship to stand up and be heard?

Sounds like you've already made up your mind that she's just a dirty, illegal democrat that wants to bring down the Union.

I wouldn't worry about it. If people just get out there and vote Republican at the next election I'm sure things will be straightened out in no time.

Is she illegal? Or is she here on a visa. Those are two different things. Is she advocating for people to never become citizens and still be able to vote, or is she advocating for those who are doing it right, on visas and working towards their citizenship to stand up and be heard?

Sounds like you've already made up your mind that she's just a dirty, illegal democrat that wants to bring down the Union.
Which of those 2 groups do you think can vote?

I think the more concerning thing here is where she’s from. I don’t know. Maybe. Just sayin.

Back