Social Sarsaparilla. Is it like root beer?

fingercuffs

36CFIST
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've read it's similar to root beer which I can't stand but I'm going to an old Wild West town tomorrow and it has it on the menu. I've never seen t before and I'm interested.

I thought it simply was root beer, just a different name for it. Like kind of a ketchup/catsup type deal.

My understanding was that it WAS old timey rootbeer, but I just looked it up and traditional root beer could be made with sassafras root bark OR smilax vine.

Modern rootbeer mostly uses artificial sassafras flavor.

Sarsaparilla strictly refers to the soda made with smilax vine, and not to the sassafras flavored soda.

Cuffs, you should know it tastes a lot like root beer.

4c603de4-09ed-4713-9503-40f05d8c9af8_text.gif

My understanding was that it WAS old timey rootbeer, but I just looked it up and traditional root beer could be made with sassafras root bark OR smilax vine.

Modern rootbeer mostly uses artificial sassafras flavor.

Sarsaparilla strictly refers to the soda made with smilax vine, and not to the sassafras flavored soda.

Cuffs, you should know it tastes a lot like root beer.
Glad I checked the Sherpedia!

I wouldn't do it if I were you.
I first tried sasparilla a few years ago, think ah, just one time isn't going to hurt. Then I found myself craving more the next day. Soon afterwards, I 'm missing work trying to get my sasparilla fix. I lost my job, my house and my wife.
Sasparilla, not even once.

I wouldn't do it if I were you.
I first tried sasparilla a few years ago, think ah, just one time isn't going to hurt. Then I found myself craving more the next day. Soon afterwards, I 'm missing work trying to get my sasparilla fix. I lost my job, my house and my wife.
Sasparilla, not even once.
Lost your wife you say...... <{titihmm}>

I thought it simply was root beer, just a different name for it. Like kind of a ketchup/catsup type deal.

Some people say it's reminiscent of root beer, which makes sense since sarsaparilla was actually used as an ingredient in traditional root beer recipes. But sarsaparilla itself tends to have a lighter and more subtle flavor compared to root beer, with a smoother finish.

I'd like to know how it is. I like root beer mucho but barely ever touch it anymore, aside from a low sugar one once in a great while.

I've read it's similar to root beer which I can't stand but I'm going to an old Wild West town tomorrow and it has it on the menu. I've never seen t before and I'm interested.
Please tell me you're going to pioneer town. Bonus points if you're going to a show at Pappy and Harriets.

Please tell me you're going to pioneer town. Bonus points if you're going to a show at Pappy and Harriets.
Haha I've been to Pioneer Town, it's really cool. Have you been?

But no, we're off to Randsburg. Another similar town 25 mins south.

Yeah, it's similar to root beer, but it's got a more bittery flavor. It's different enough to be it's own thing while being similar enough to compare.

Back